Transition Towns

Do you know about an event that you want to talk about? Is there a campaign you have started, are involved in or want to start? Inspired by Marvin Gaye this is your place to tell the world what's going on.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

I was at the All Energy conference in Aberdeen yesterday - even there was a lady doing a talk on transition towns. Very inspiring; but what I read above about what really goes on in those towns, doesn't quite look like the same movement! Forres seems to be the latest addition to the list up here in Scotland.

Didn't know that even Aberdeen was "mulling the idea over".
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Thurston Garden

Aberdeen a Transition Town? :shock:

I would have thought Transition Town is a swear word in Aberdeen! :lol:
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

ina

Thurston Garden wrote:Aberdeen a Transition Town? :shock:

I would have thought Transition Town is a swear word in Aberdeen! :lol:
That had been my impression, too! :mrgreen:
Ina

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

The first task of a Transition Project is awareness raising - hence the films & talks - this builds up a body of supporters who can take forward other projects. I signed up after a a fascinating talk by Richard Heinberg, followed by a bit of brainstorming about what we could do.

A third group is forming in Leics, so the message is getting out there, albeit slowly.

ina

I'm currently trying to read the book. I have a problem with it: the size... It's quite large and almost square, which makes it difficult to hold when you are reading in bed! :oops:

That's the kind of thing producers of books never think of, do they... :roll:

Anyway: the first chapter is all on peak oil and climate change. Well written, but nothing new to me. The strange thing is that I am convinced I heard of the concept in 2001 - and it says everywhere the movement/idea was born in 2005 or so. So what was that that was going on 4 years before this? :?

Just found it!

It wasn't called transition towns back then: Sir Julian Rose spoke about the "proximity principle". I have the feeling that what he was trying to get across was very much what is being done in the transition town movement nowadays.

(Just glad I wasn't imagining things... :roll: )
Ina

Sian
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I noticed the somewhere (the Guardian??) that where I live is a transition 'town' as of last April-it was the first time I'd heard about it! I may try to get in touch with the organisers though and offer my help.

marshlander

Re: Transition Towns

Climate change and peak oil will present fundamental challenges to us all. We recently attended the first meeting of The Transition Towns Initiative for Louth - very inspiring.

We have yet to get to the stage of deciding on a steering group or anything else for that matter. Initially we have been challenged to do our own research, watch films, read books etc. rather than just accept the pc dogma.

It's very difficult to be patient - I just want to shout STOP from the rooftops and tell everyone I meet all about it. But i accept that sucessful initiative have more or less followed a step by step build up of awareness leading to events and aliances with existing local organisations and we can't run before we walk.

My cr4p detector is now on full alert - I keep reading things that I disagree with :angryfire: Trouble is I get all emotional - the shot of the little blue planet at the end of An Inconvenient Truth made me cry :oops:
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey