Best Broadband?

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Best Broadband?

I just had a call from BT offering me £2 off the cost of my broad band, thus reducing it to £22 per month. It struck me that if I'm no longer in a contract with them I can find another broad band supplier (doh!). So can anyone recommend a better and cheaper one?
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm on 3, I have a mobile broadband modem dongle thing...it does have an initial outlay (currently £50, usually £100) but I highly recommend it. You buy credit for it as you would a mobile phone, £10 gets you 1GB, £15 gets you 3GB and its £25 for 7GB. I find that the 1GB lasts me a week, and am currently trying the 3GB one, its just coming up to 3 weeks now so I'm not sure how long it'll last. Though, of course, it does depend on how much you use the net, and what you use it for-eg chatting, downloading etc. Oh, and no matter which you get, it has to be used within 30 days or it runs out. I'd recommend getting it from a 3 store as they will do a check for network coverage and stuff for you. Saying that, they told me I wouldn't be able to use it since I don't have great coverage, but knowing that my 3 phones work here, I thought I'd give it a chance anyway!
Harm None!

colhut
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Well, eclipse internet do a home package for £17.95 which has a monthly download limit of 10Gb. Setup is free if you sign up for 12 months. I am an IT manager, I use them for broadband for all my home users (including me). They are not outrageously special, but I do think better than average.
How hard can it be, how long can it take. What could POSSIBLY go wrong

eccentric_emma

I use greenISP. you have to buy the router yourself, there are various packages you can get (varying in price), there is absolutely no limit on downloads (when researching providers we found that most of the 'unlimited' packages were actually limited to 40GB). We are heavy internet users, download so much that there was no way we could stick to 20GB or even 40GB was a bit touch and go! also you are not tied into a year long contract as with many providers, which is good for us as we seem to move every 6 months and invariably end up with huge cancellation fees.

also, greenISP plant a tree for every new customer and try to be as carbon neutral as possible (although some of this does involve offsetting). absolutely no complaints.
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

tim&fatima

I have been with virgin media for the last 12 months. (min contract)
Then last week they told me it was going up from £10 per month, to £18 per month. so i'm not sure if it is still value for money. I phoned them up and cancalled it. but I have 30 days to change my mind, not sure what to do?!?
It's nice to be important,
But it's more important to be nice.

JR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Virgin (NTL) is a good connection. You get what you pay for speed wise rather than you get a decent speed as long as all the other users in your area are not logged on! Mind you now broadband is up in the 8mb area it is all pretty good.

I have been with NTL for 6 years on a cable connection and it has been superb!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was about to kick BT into touch - but they've just doubled my limit from 5 Gbytes to 10 Gbytes at no extra cost. I'm thinking again now.

tim&fatima

Well I phoned virgin media back, and explained that I wan't to stay with them, But I was not prepared to pay £18 a month (from £10).
They told me to stay on the line for a bit, came back, and said they will do it for £15 a month!
Just goes to show, it's always best to haggle. :wink:
It's nice to be important,
But it's more important to be nice.