No TV and I like it that way (mini rant)

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

No TV and I like it that way (mini rant)

hmmmph, JohnM has just discovered BBCi - well, he has know about it for ages but our computer was acting up... now we have it sorted out the computer... I digress.

Anyway, I have just looked at the home page for it and I am flumoxed by the bright, 'good lighting', cheesy grins, etc... I like not having a TV... this just feels like having a TV and everyone wants to catch your attention - over-stimulation is something I think really affects our society...
Can't really see my life being any better for watching the newest edition of 'Master Xfactor Chefs Brother" :roll:

I am off in a huff, don't wanna watch TV... that's why we don't have a TV :(

Though, I will be watching some kids stuff with E on it and the occasional can't miss shows - I suppose it is just that the option is there to watch Eastenders, the One show and all the other crap that they pump out.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Easily dealt with, Annpan ... load up your most hated programme, stick your fingers in your ears and close your eyes. See ... simple, isn't it?

AXJ
A selfsufficientish Regular

I am with you all the way there, I only watch two TV programmes each day, the national news (obviously Basque /Spanish) and a programme called "El hormiguero" (which means The Ant Hill) on channel quatro. Although "El hormiguero" starts at about 9.30pm (it is live) and finishes about 10.30pm, it is perfect for the children, it is like a cross between, Tizwas, Parkinson and 'How?' (Remember How? anyone... shite showing my age pretty badly here). Children in Spain seem to go to bed later than kids in the UK, although the programme is aimed at all ages, and has some wonderful political satire, it captivates children with the resident mad scientist who does some serious experiments, some of which you can try at home, most of which you are advised not to try at home. They always have a celebrity guest, from Sylvester Stallone right through the full gamut of people. They have a Coulo o codo (arse or elbow) a close up shot of .. well an arse or an elbow, one has the advert break to make one's mind up... highly entertaining. The ad break on Quatro are short (5mins or less) by Spanish Standards, which means they abide by the law, most TV stations in Spain have such long ad breaks that one can actually switch channels, watch another programme and go back, and the ads are still going, some time the ad break have ad breaks... (local ads) .. seriously. The fine they pay to the broadcasting regulator is considerably less that the income they get from the ads, Quatro is ethical, and left leaning.

http://www.cuatro.com/microsites/el_hormiguero/

The end song of "El hormiguero" goes like this:

Go to bed, go to bed, it's no longer on, and wipe your snot on the mattress, we are very tired and have red eyes, your lice are very sleepy, go to bed, there's nothing going on here, and don't to forget to have a pee, have a pee (PP) Go to sleep, go to sleep, your parents would like to live.

I do not think I will go, that I am very happy watching TV here.

Right now you go to bed your brain is going to dry. Go to bed, there's nothing going on here, and don't to forget to have a pee, have a pee (PP) Go to sleep, go to sleep, your parents would like to live.

It works, so the kids ar in bed when it ends, social contract sorted. :cooldude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbpYgSMqk30

Vete a dormir, Vete a dormir, ya no des mas el toston, Y a pegar mocos en el colchon, Estas muy cansado tienes los ojos rojos, tienen sueno hasta tus peojos, Vete a formit ya no pintas nada aqui, y no to olvides de hacer pipi PI-PI! Vete a dormir, Vete a dormir, que tus padres quieren vivir.

Creo que no me voy a ir que estoy muy a gustico viendo le tele aqui. Tu te vas ahora mismo a acostar que el cerebro se te va a secar. Vete a dormir ya no pintas nada aqui y no olvides de hacer pipi PI-PI! Vete a dormir, Vete a dormir, que tus padres quieren vivir.
Last edited by AXJ on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

witch way?
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Quite agree :sleepy4: . Our licence runs out in November so we've agreed to go back to a no TV zone here. :cheers:
Money talks - but it dont sing and dance and it cant walk.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ooooh yes - How!. Fred Dinenage, Jack wotsisname, a little grey-haired boring bloke and a woman (who was she?). Most memorable programme I ever saw.

AXJ

Was it Jack Hargreeves? It was my guilty secret at the time that I actually liked How? better than Blue Peter (no contest)... but it was on the other side! I agree it was the top programme. :cheers:

Dum dum ti dum .. dum ti dum.. dum ti dum HOW?

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just had to google it -

Fred Dinenage, Jack Hargreaves, Jon Miller and Bunty James

eccentric_emma

i love not having tv. not because i dont want to watch certain programmes - because i do like to watch some things and like documentaries but i dislike the idea of having to pay to be advertised at. the adverts just get me every time - i'm very susceptible! since we've not had a tv my 'want' for new things has decreased considerably. although it has been the theme of the week that people keep asking me if i've been watching Britains Got Talent and when I tell them I dont have a tv they look at me like i've just fallen out of a tree!
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

Milims

MKG wrote:Ooooh yes - How!. Fred Dinenage, Jack wotsisname, a little grey-haired boring bloke and a woman (who was she?). Most memorable programme I ever saw.
Don't forget Wilf Lunn! He was the the beardy bloke with wheely glasses who invented things! THere used to be a pub in Newcastle that I frequented as a student called "inventions" that had some of his stuff in it. There was a water clock and a tight rope balancing cyclist and a crwos nest thingy that crows popped out of at intervals! I think it's bar Oz now - not quite the same! :cry:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'd love to be without a TV, saving us the licence fee, stupid SKY fee & also the electricity use but OH is addicted and he pays the above-mentioned bills :(

Recently though I've commandeered the DAB radio & sited it in the kitchen so I have that on during the day to entertain me, and I'm gradually encouraging OH to turn off the damn box & listen to good music instead :mrgreen:

:flower: Ratty
Last edited by Ratty on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:flower: Ratty

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/in_memory_of_joeb - Raising money for charity selling lots of things! Please take a look!

hamster

I'd be more than happy without a TV, and if House doesn't return to something approaching its former glory soon I might be even more vocal on this point.
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

We watched QI the other day - OK, there is some good stuff on TV :wink:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

AXJ

Annpan wrote:We watched QI the other day - OK, there is some good stuff on TV :wink:
QI excellent, I have "the book of general ignorance", never seen the programme, I bet it's great!

I am a radio fan, BBC RADIO7 and BBC RADIO4 keeps me in touch with los inglés... the BBC Iplayer for TV is not available to those of us outside the British Isles, which is probably just as well. But the nice thing about radio is that the pictures are better!

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

sorry guys but I love my telly. I don't like reality tv like big brother, but I love bbc4's documentaries, anything about food that doesn't involve jamie oliver or delia smith, and in my house neighbours is unmissable.
As is Pingu aparently.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

AXJ

mrsflibble wrote:sorry guys but I love my telly. I don't like reality tv like big brother, but I love bbc4's documentaries, anything about food that doesn't involve jamie oliver or delia smith, and in my house neighbours is unmissable.
As is Pingu aparently.
Oh yes, Pingu... you are talking my language!