UTI

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
MrsD'ville
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

UTI

Umm, I don't know if I'm allowed to ask questions about alternative ways of treating illnesses here? I don't want to get into trouble so please just scrub my post, Mods, if I've contravened section 12, subclause 47b!

Our 6 yo DD has a UTI, I know they're very common in little girls. I'm sure I'll end up taking her to the doc but I do prefer to leave antibiotics for really vital stuff, so wondered if there was anything else I could do for her? DH suffered with very bad kidney infections as a child so I don't want to leave DD in the grip of this, not to mention that she's in pain and up 20 times a night for the loo. I called the doc earlier but the first appointment was NEXT Monday! I've to call in the morning in the hopes of a same-day appt but in case we have to wait another day or more I wondered if anyone knew of anything I could do to soothe things for her?

Thanks.
If you can't be a good example, be a dire warning!

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Usually if you call the doc and tell them the appointmet is for a child they will see the MUCH sooner - usually that day. UTIs aren't nice at all -although (touch wood) I've never had one myself - Ido know they are nasty and can do damage. In the mean time just keep her well hydrated with lots of water to try and flsuh her system. I've heard that things like cranberry juice or lemon juice in hot water are quite good - but I couldn't vouch for it. Hugs to you both and hope she's much better soon
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Helsbells

Hi,
My big bad book of alternative remedies says that live yogurt can be eaten to help with cistitus or Urethritus (both infections of the urinary/bladder areas I believe)
Also try drinking cranberry juice, but be careful because any added sugar can irritate further.
Also try garlic which is really good for fighting infections, the book says as a tincture, but I havent ever seen garlic tincture, I know you can get it in capsule form.
I havent actually tried any of these for urinary tract infections but I have taken garlic before and found it very helpful when I had a gum infection.
Hope this helps.

MrsD'ville
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I did tell them she was only six and in a fair bit of pain, bah humbug. I've never had a week's wait before, I was quite shocked.

Thanks for the other tips. We usually have lemon in the water at suppertime and normally eat positively anti-social quantities of garlic but we haven't had so much lately now I come to think of it. DD would find it absolutely hilarious if I shovelled yog into her innards from that direction, it would be worth it just for the fits of giggles! I have to go to the great god Morrisons tomorrow so might get some cranberry juice and a pot of Yeo Valley to start some of my own yog. If she does have anti-b's she'll definitely be needing the yoghurt anyway.

Just off to check out what precisely a tincture is...

Edited to say that yoghurt bit must sound a bit random - it jogged my memory that I'd seen it suggested as a topical remedy! Bit impractical before school but fine afterwards. :flower:

baldowrie

I would not leave a little of 6 with a suspected UTI for a week. If you can't an appointment with the GP straight ways try the out of hours GP or A&E. The last thing you want is for her to end up with kidney troubles.

The Riff-Raff Element

Rhubarb is reputed to be very good for the bladder and associated pipeworks. Poor little thing.

Helsbells

In my book it said to eat te yogurt, but could also be used as a douch :shock:
Not sure I would fancy that myself.

lsm1066
Living the good life
Living the good life

Cranberries, blueberries and celery are all great diuretics which will help flush the infection. Garlic is a fantastic anti-bacterial agent (they did experiments on Rough Science and garlic came out the best natural anti-bacterial agent).

Make sure, if you buy juice, that you buy cranberry juice, not cranberry juice drink as the latter contains extra sugar, which feeds the bacteria fantastically well. She may need antibiotics anyway, especially if she has to wait so long to see the GP. In which case, these will help when she's taking the drugs as well.

hth
Lynne

lucy.lists
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Here in France you can get cranberry powder in capsules. Might be availabe there? I break open a capsule and stir it into fresh juice - my kids don't notice/mind the taste.

Also in the 'dietry' section of the supermarket here you can buy cranberry juice mixed with other sweeter juices, which my girls drink happily, and no sugar.

And I've heard lots of live yoghurt is good.

emmsy

i hope she is ok, call the drs and demand an emergency appointment if she is in alot of pain, i suffered with this when i was a child

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I would be calling back and demanding an appointment, poor little thing. If they still won't tell them you'd like a Dr to call you........sometimes it helps getting past the receptionist!!

MrsD'ville
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for all the advice. I think the receptionist I spoke to last night had quietly pencilled us in, as when I rang this morning the different person I spoke to seemed to know about me and offered me an appt nice and early. P did a sample which will be sent off but they haven't started her on treatment yet.

I looked for cranberry juice but could only find sweetened drinks, so I'll look in the health food place tomorrow. For now she's drinking lots of water and squeaking when she goes to the loo. That reminds me, I put the bits out to make yoghurt then got distracted, better go and do it!

eccentric_emma

UTI's are just awful I am glad you managed to get an appt as once I had to be taken to A&E in the end as it was so bad. If it hurts when she goes to the toilet - try letting her go in the bath i.e. fill it up with a bit of water so she can sit in it and go. Seems to lessen the pain somewhat (although she may want to wash when she gets out!)
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

MrsD'ville
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

That's an excellent idea Emma, thank you. Ending up in A&E sounds horrible :? Yoghurt is quietly knitting to itself so I'm hoping I can lessen P's symptoms while we wait to hear whether her sample grew anything interesting.

getting there
Tom Good
Tom Good

Oh my freaking goodness! Leaving a little one for a week with a UTI :shock: what if had travelled up the system and infected her kidneys (happened to my sister last week poor thing).

In New Zealand we have a thing called 'inner health plus' which is a capsule with billions of live good bacteria. If you have a similar product available you could empty one into her yogurt to boost its goodness. Water. Lots and lots and lots of water. Get her to sip it as often as possible to keep her urine diluted. There are homeopathic remedies for UTI's if you're into homeopathy.

Hoping she heals quickly because I've had just one UTI and I never want to go there again.
Just because I can't do everything I won't fail to do something.