Broken broccoli

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

Broken broccoli

Hi,

I went out to check my raised vegetable beds at 7am this morning to find one of my broccoli plants at literaly snapped off at the base just above soil level. :roll: The plant was very healthy with lush green leaves - zero insect infestation and protected under netting with a CD hanging down to scare the pigeons away.

There doesn't look to be any disuption to the soil around it or any of the other plants (including the other broccoli). Is it possible for the stalks to dry out even though the rest of the plant looks healthy - should I be earthing up at all? Any ideas on what might have caused this would be gratefully received...?

I'm square foot gardening so I had a whole square foot given over to it and I'm only growing 5 broccoli in total so is there any way I can save it?

I've currently got it in a jar of water to see if it will establish new roots but am I clutching at straws here? :?
Jobi1

"A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." - Franklin Jones.

Lady Willow
Living the good life
Living the good life

Poor you! It's rotten seeing good plants get destroyed.

I think you would have very little (ie, zilch) chance of the plant rooting in water. I would find it demoralising to have it hanging around and would compost it straightaway.

Also, I would say that 5 broccoli plants in a square foot is far too many anyway. The others will do better for the extra space. Broccoli is normally something like 75cm x 60cm spacing per plant.

(you didn't mean calbrese did you? that needs much less space than broccoli).

Good luck with your remaining plants.

Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sorry - just to clarify - I have 1 sprouting broccoli (Calabrese) Autumn Spear plant per square foot.

I have some purple sprouting broccoli waiting in the wings as back up so I guess it's not a total dead loss but I was 'gutted' to find the plant 'toes up' this morning.

Thanks for responding. Appreciate it.
Jobi1

"A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." - Franklin Jones.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try digging up the roots that are still in the compost, you might find greyish grubs there that have eaten the stem through (cabbage root fly larvae) or you might find an yellow orangey wormy thing that has burrowed into the stem (wire worm) although that's less likely in compost.

If you find the root fly larvae, next time you plant anything of the cabbage family try surrounding the stem with a disc of plastic as this stops the flys eggs from hatching and destroying your plants. I use the plastic tops from Lidl expresso coffee tins with a cross cut in the centre.
I'm not very good at describing this but try Googling "brassica collars".

Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hmm - just done an exploratory 'dig' and there are no signs of any grubs or worms.

I'm planting in a virgin mix of compost, peat (yes, I know!) and vermiculite so the thought of anything contaminating my lovely boxes has turned my stomach!

The collar sound like an excellent idea so I'll make some to protect my other brassicas as well.

Thanks!
Jobi1

Lady Willow
Living the good life
Living the good life

you have got them netted haven't you? You must net brassicas or the pigeons will have them.

If they're not netted, this could be why the stem is broken .. a big fat pigeon atached it it.

I use bits of cardboard for my brassica collars .. just cut a slit, then a small round and slide it around the base of the plant.

Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi - yes definitely netted and with old CDs hanging in an attempt to scare them away - I'd still consider this as a viable reason though as pigeons seem to be a bit thick and probably don't realise I'm trying to see them off!

We have a couple living in the conifers behind our house and I'm sure they've previously plonked themselves on top of one of my cucumber plants and squashed it (even though, they are netted too). I think the arc that was holding the net up above my raised bed bent with the weight of the fat thing attempting to sit on it.

I can't see any evidence at all of gnawing, slime, infestations or otherwise around the broccoli so it could only be them?

I'd guess that the pests I'm dealing with here are mostly pigeons and cats!

You gotta love 'em.
Jobi1

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nowt wrong wi' pigeons!!!!! We don't have a pigeon problem, although we have lots of pigeons (both the rather gorgeous grey/pink/blue version and the comparatively less good-looking rock-dove type). We feed 'em. It works wonders. Not only do we get really attractive birds, but they'll happily sit next to any member of the brassica family and ignore it.

Be kind to your pigeons. You never know where they've been.

Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

MKG wrote:Nowt wrong wi' pigeons!!!!!
LOL - I totally agree! We are contemplating making a bird table so that they can munch happily on whatever is on there.

I don't think they're actually trying to get at my 'stuff' - they are just trying to determine what they can sit on and what they can't!

My raised beds are new after all - they've gotta try everything out once haven't they!

Now they know - I'm sure it will be fine. Cats haven't approached recently either (6 that I'm aware of) - guess they're learning that they can't dig through netting as well. Might be no need for mothballs after all. At least they're also keeping the mice/rats away.

All is well. :thumbleft:
Jobi1