Negligent gardener

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
hamster
A selfsufficientish Regular

Negligent gardener

I got distracted last night and forgot to bring in the plants that were outside hardening off (tomatoes, peppers, sprouts). Nothing ate them and they didn't die of cold. Do you think I might as well just put them out now?
They're not weeds - that's a habitat for wildlife, don't you know?

http://sproutingbroccoli.wordpress.com

JR
Living the good life
Living the good life

It should be ok over the next few days no weather warnings! I tend to harden off by putting outside on a good day in the morning and then leaving. Not had much die on me, only a couple of tumbling Toms.

I know its regarded as brutal and you are supposed to take in and out for a few days but never hame the time.

Lady Willow
Living the good life
Living the good life

Leave them out, but keep an eye on the night time temperature forecasts and throw some fleece (or similar) over them if it looks like getting too chilly. That's part of the hardening off process.

What varieties of tomatoes are folks growing?

JR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Marmande, Fantasio, Tigerella, Black Cherry, Gardeners Delight and Tumbling yellow.

All good apart from the tumblers, touch wood!

Enormous Sage
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I got gardeners delight, black cherry and some plum tomatoes : all been outside for about a month so far with no probs (except for the rain battering them a bit).

The Riff-Raff Element

Enormous Sage wrote:I got gardeners delight, black cherry and some plum tomatoes : all been outside for about a month so far with no probs (except for the rain battering them a bit).
Roma, marmande, olivetto, supersweet and those little cocktail tomato things that aren't actually tomatoes but are a close relative.

red

I always forget the plants sooner or later... so these days I dont boter - pi put them out on a mild day and they stay out to harden off.. seems to work

I have gardeners delight, sweet olive, and fantasio.. the fantasio look rubbish...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

yelow banana and some I've never heard of but looked ok on the box lol!!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

tumber, gardeners delight & some golden cherry ones from saved seed, from tomatoes I got in my organic veg box last year. High hopes for those, they were delicious!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

umm...three black cherry plants, and some others that i forgot to put labels on...that's if they survive. The slugs have nipped at most of them...

Lady Willow
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mmmm... lovely lot of varieties you're all growing .... black cherry seems popular, I've never grown those.

This year I'm growing Marmande super, Brandywine, Money maker, Gardeners' delight, Ailsa Craig, Alicante and a few French vareties which I bought as small plants.

I've got one tumbler left! Everybody seems to be loosing their tumblers ... anybody know why? I did ok with them last year, but of course condiditions were very different.

(Mrs Flibble - your signature makes me laugh everytime I see it! :mrgreen: )