selfsufficientish has a new home.

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
AXJ
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: selfsufficientish has a new home.

I think the site looks great, I like the logo. All the colours seem to be sorted nicely, the 'on-line' green colour text could be a bit darker green for my taste.

If I were to make one suggestion is about the navigation at the top

Board Index >> etc >> etc >>

The text could be a bit bigger perhaps the same size as the Moderators text (perhaps actually swap the sizes), I keep finding myself hunting for the navigation and of course 'board index' is effectively the home button =8¬)

Anyway, superb site, worth the wait :flower:

PS I would like to endorce the mention that links should open in a new window, as if one is previewing a post, and tests a link, one looses the entire post :shock: (LoL)

PPS Another small thing, the accents and some other charicters are coming out funny in explorer, probably just a simple change of the charicter set from UTF-8 to charset=iso-8859-1 may cure it =8¬)

Bonniegirl

Crikey I don't come by for a little while and there's been a spring clean! :wink:

Looks nice and fresh, and everyone will get used to it in time, and you'll all be wondering in a couple weeks time..what did the old forum look like!

I think though I would like to see a better division of some kind down the left had side thats separates the author column from the test box, you can't see the line in the lighter shading.

And I'm afraid I don't like the new logo either sorry! :? It just doesn't fit the new look
The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

juliette
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I can't find the site anymore. Where has it gone? :?

Juliette

Shirley

try http://www.selfsufficientish.tv/ - It doesn't look the same as it used to and doesn't have all the info - but no doubt it will move to it's rightful place once John is back - hope he's having a well deserved rest this weekend!!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

chadspad

I really like the new site - well done everyone!

My only quibble is that the button for 'viewing all posts since been on here last' has gone - is it possible to reinstate that otherwise Ive got to troll thru all the catagories!
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

AXJ

does this link do it for you

http://selfsufficientish.com/forum/sear ... d=newposts

if so top right :flower:

baldowrie

Thurston Gardens

John - would it be possible to make the noo logo a wee bit smaller on the top banner? It would fit nicely with the bottom of it being in line with the log out/new messages/faq text line. Atm the threads are all off my screen because it takes up so much space.

Along the same lines, in the reply notification email, could some of the carriage returns be removed? Would be good to have the whole email fit one page.
Someone else mentioned this to me today as well...

As for the font, if it can't be enlarged afraid I shall have to consider not visiting the site because it's not easy to read and giving me a headache as is the ultra brightness...may be grumpy of me but there you are, and don't see why I should have to adjust my computer settings to suit and re change for other sites.

AXJ

baldowrie wrote:
Thurston Gardens

John - would it be possible to make the noo logo a wee bit smaller on the top banner? It would fit nicely with the bottom of it being in line with the log out/new messages/faq text line. Atm the threads are all off my screen because it takes up so much space.

Along the same lines, in the reply notification email, could some of the carriage returns be removed? Would be good to have the whole email fit one page.
Someone else mentioned this to me today as well...

As for the font, if it can't be enlarged afraid I shall have to consider not visiting the site because it's not easy to read and giving me a headache as is the ultra brightness...may be grumpy of me but there you are, and don't see why I should have to adjust my computer settings to suit and re change for other sites.
Which system and browser are you using. What is the size of you screen e.g. 17inch and what resolution are you running it at, e.g. 1024 x 800

In Explorer you can change the text size by going to the menu option "page" and then choose text size "Large Larger medium normal small smaller" work perfectly.

In FireFox you can go to View / zoom/ at the bottom of the view menu you will see zoom text only, choose that. You will see it is ticked, now choose to zoom in, and the text will get bigger.

This had been tested in IE7 and FF3 on windowsXP

I will now test it in Opera...

Shirley

chadspad wrote:
My only quibble is that the button for 'viewing all posts since been on here last' has gone - is it possible to reinstate that otherwise Ive got to troll thru all the catagories!
It's still there... and you don't even need to go to the homepage to get it... if you look on the right hand side just above the window where you type/or the top message then you can see 'view new posts' (in a blue font) - see if you can find it. Hope it helps.
baldowrie wrote:
The font can be changed on your own computer by clicking the View tab at the top left of your screen... select text size and increase it. Or you can click ctrl and +, or ctrl and scroll wheel - hadn't really noticed it being bright but then perhaps that is my screen at fault.

Hope that helps a bit anyway.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

baldowrie

The font can be changed on your own computer by clicking the View tab at the top left of your screen
no view tab on my screen and ctr plus + doesn't work on my lap top to increase front size

AXJ

This entire forum degrades to any resolution or setting the user cares to choose, it passes all accessibility validation with the exception of a couple of images that don't have alt tags, which is not important in this dialogue.

My suggestion is to look a bit harder at your bowser settings. It seems (though I may be wrong) that you could possibly be running a screen at a boosted resolution, which means that things will look smaller. I am running a screen at standard resoltuon for its size, it is a 19in monitor.

The text looks big enought to me, and I have poor eyesight these days, which I have not boosted the resoltuion of the monitor.

I am just another simple member of the forum, but I can see what the problem is, and I have been building websites for a living for over a decade.

May I ask you to have a look at news.bbc.co.uk and let me know if you have similar problems on text size and headers.

I still think the logo is cool, well designed, it does take up a lot of space, but most of the time you're not looking ing at the top of the page, you're in the forum. If you don't have one maybe it it time to invest in a mouse with a scroll wheel

I will say this... I notices when testing the site on a different ervice provider on my S.O.s CVRT monitor that the site had a stipey top, and banded colours, I can't see that on this monitor, which is a mystery to me LoL.

anyway, talking of S.O.s I have a date... kiss kiss :rr:

Shirley

A date!!!! A DATE! I've got some figs but no dates (although I will probably find some hiding in the cupboard) - have fun AXJ.

Not sure what else to suggest Baldowrie - hope some clever person will be able to help further :flower:
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

baldowrie

AXJ

May I ask you to have a look at news.bbc.co.uk and let me know if you have similar problems on text size and headers.
I go to the BBC every day and have no problems

As for my browser settings they are perfectly fine for very other web site I use. If I change those setting to suit this forum it will then be wrong for 99% of my other online viewing.

As a point of interest when typing a reply the font for whilst typing is bigger and clearer.

I did mention about this when a test of a new layout was done.

AXJ

baldowrie wrote:
AXJ

I go to the BBC every day and have no problems

As for my browser settings they are perfectly fine for very other web site I use. If I change those setting to suit this forum it will then be wrong for 99% of my other online viewing.

As a point of interest when typing a reply the font for whilst typing is bigger and clearer.

I did mention about this when a test of a new layout was done.
Yes I use the BBC website everyday would actually be an understatement, all the day would make more sense.

I am here on a CRT monitor (rather than a flatscreen) running 1024 pixels by 768 pixels. The default font sizes on BBC and ISH are exactly the same. I have tested it on my normal machine they are the same, I will test it on one more machine, just to be really sure.

Mods or admin will be able to varify that this post is from a different IP address than I normally use.

I know that my children's lap top will show the font sizes (for all sites) bigger, I don't know why .

Your computer is showing the fonts smaller. You know what? You have got a problem with your computer, or it is operator error.

I hear you say that you don't see why you should have to change the settings just for one website... I would reply to that to suggest to you (in my totally private capacity as another member), why should a web site have to change because you can't sort out you computer configuration.

You could perhaps take a screen shot of what it looks like and post it here, then perhaps we'd all have a better idea wht the problem is. It seems a shame that as a clearly estblished member you don't feel that you want to use the site, because at the end of the day you appear to have a problem with your personal computer.

Hey lets all post screen shots, it would be very informative.

Untill you, baldowrie , post your operating system and version, browser name and version, screen resolution and actual physical size of your screen, there is absolutely nothing that anyone can do to help you with your problem.

:rr:

baldowrie

You know what? You have got a problem with your computer, or it is operator error.
Nope!

frankly I can't being doing with your flippant reply either!

BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!