eco menstrual stuff - boring for men

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Well this thread has made me do two things 1 join this forum and 2 buy a mooncup. Just got it from Boots today 3rd day of my period so it was messy but I couldn't wait :oops: and after 2 hours I LOVE it this is gonna save sooo much money and save me the guilt of using sooo many sanitary towels...I'm very heavy too due to hypothyroidism.

Didn't fancy the sponge thingys though would worry there are too many nooks and crannys for bacteria to grow in. :?

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

Well done! If you´re clothminded would you consider going the extra step and replacing loo roll?

We have and have never looked back, much nicer to wash and wipe with a soft cloth than a scraggy bit of loo roll!

Cx
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Well now you mention it I have been thinking of it. Personal question here do you use them for both ie wee & poo or just wee?? Sorry terrible question!!!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

My personal choice is just for wee (and other 'front end' mess) easier to clean... or rinse and clean... in the same wash as LO's nappies.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

tim&fatima

Hi there (Fatima here) my OH "Tim" has just pointed me in your direction! I've seen him on her lots (and lots) of times but have never had a propper look, he just tells me any important/interesting stuff he reads! He saw your comments and must have thought of me!
I have recently been converted to a Mooncup and like many of you have said I can't believe no one told me about it sooner! It's fantastic! Why have I had to be messy, smelly, hot and uncomfortable for so many years! I have told (and yes, shown -before used) everyone at work mine, only my Sister (who I call Margo anyway) has said it's gross, most people are just intrigued!

Personally we are all totally open at home and at work about the whole "budwick" thing, but now I say I'm going to the loo to sort out my "moon shine" instead!! :lol:

Anyway, can anyone tell me where I can buy some of these reusable/washable towels (for heavier days), can u get these from Boots too?

I LOVE MY MOONCUP! :cheers:
It's nice to be important,
But it's more important to be nice.

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Not seen them at boots try http://www.babykind.co.uk/sanitarywear.htm That's where I am getting mine!!

Clara

I bought some lovely organic hemp/merino ones from an Etsy seller called natural blue cloud, they are soft and look wonderful (and work well) - she hasn´t got any listed at the moment, but if you send her a PM I´m sure she´ll oblige. http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5162028
I´m even thinking of importing some to sell on.

I liked the look of Wemoon, but when I bought them I tried one and found that the PUL inner made it too "rigid" feeling. I sent the unopened ones back.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

starchild
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have a competition on my website to win a washable pad from Rachael Hertogs - she handmakes organic pads in the UK.

Join in the fun!

http://myzerowaste.com/category/monthly-competition/

My daughter is choosing the winner, so they'll be no favourtism from me :wink:

Starchild x

kathleen
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: eco menstrual stuff - boring for men

This is such a helpful thread - I am in the process of testing out my mooncup for the first time! So far so good :cheers: :) Thanks to all for the information!!

missie moo
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

just started using mine and this thread has been very helpful. i was worried it would be a bit messy to extract, but in fact it's very clean. i was also worried about using it in a toilet where there isn't a (private) washbasin, but actually its not a problem. however, i'm quite glad the loo at work does have a washbasin!

another relief is absolutely no leaks - not even a spot! it's really much much cleaner than tampons/towels.

on a slightly more gruesome note, it's quite interesting to see what comes out! :? :lol:

if you're hesitating about getting one, my advice is to go for it! it's a LOT easier and cleaner than i thought it would be. i wish i'd found out sooner, but maybe i can persuade my daughters....

jane

QuakerBear

missie moo wrote: on a slightly more gruesome note, it's quite interesting to see what comes out! :? :lol:

jane
Hello everyone.

I thought that at first, but now I'm glad. While I don't stand there staring at it, it does mean I now what is normal for me so I'll be able to see any changes when they happen.
QuakerBear

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm loving the way that this thread is echoing conversations i have with super.niki and my two best friends regularly. There's lots of 'oooh, i'm glad i got a mooncup'...and we all feel extremely smug when we go to public loos and see that 'no sanitary waste to be flushed' or similar sign.

QuakerBear

Me too Fee. I'm so happy with it; the quick, clean, comfortable, waste-less, body atuned efficiency of it all is wonderful.

Three cheers for the Mooncup :cheers:
QuakerBear

JulieSherris

I bought a Mooncup a year ago, & am I SO glad I did!

Apart from the eco benefits and the cost advantages, I now find that I don't spend a week a month dreading the onset of my period, a week having a period & a further week getting over the fact that every pair of nix ('bout 4 pairs a day) had to be washed, and the bed changed about 3 times!

One thing though, I queried with the Mooncup folks about the amount of fluid that us ladies are 'supposed' to be passing during a normal period & that I am quite capable of passing that amount on a daily basis, let alone the entire 5 or 6 days! Anyways, I got a mail back saying that I should really follow this up with the doc - which I did & I find that I'm quite normal!

But the Mooncup has transformed my daily life - I even wore a pair of cream trousers last month during my period - for the WHOLE day, with no pad or tampon in sight!

Oh, men just don't know what they're missing.... :wink:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is very groovy and probably my favourite thing in the world. I wish i#'d found out about it 10 years ago instead of 3...