Suggestion (?) for new forum

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
Fizzy Izzy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Suggestion (?) for new forum

This might be a personal preference, but I noticed that now when I click on a link on the forum it opens in the same window. I liked it better before when it opened in a new window. That meant I could look at that site and ish at the same time.... What do other people think?

Hope I'm not being too pernickity! Love the new forum and thanks to all have worked so hard on it :)
Smile :)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion (?) for new forum

Thanks Fizzy Izzy,

I think that we (I say we...) already knew about this one but It is good for us to have feedback :flower: there have been/are a few glitches with the new website, and they will be fixed in time.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

John Headstrong

the choice to open a link in the same window was decided by the developers of the forum software phpbb due to them wanting to be "100% XHTML compliant".

which translates to the developers wanting to follow a strict standard on how webpages should work. Unfortunately this means the "same window" is a sticky point,while I can hack the forum to open things in another window (and I DO intend to do so) I will have to do it everytime there is a update, and there are a few other things that also I can change but will have to redo everytime the software is updated.

So my plan is to do these changes and have a system in place so that when a new version comes out I can update the forum and add the tweaks in a very short period of time, without to much time consuming hacking or the forum being unavailable for to long.

Bonniegirl
A selfsufficientish Regular

You could always open a new tab and copy and paste the link into that! :wink:
The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

Fizzy Izzy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

OK, thanks all :)

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

If you hold down the Ctrl button whilst you click then it opens in a new tab (in Windows Internet Explorer, sorry if you're using a Mac, no really I'm sorry if you're using one :lol: )
:flower: Ratty

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/in_memory_of_joeb - Raising money for charity selling lots of things! Please take a look!

AXJ

It just goes to show that XHTML validation is bogus if it busts functionality (I know you're going to adjust this in due course Headstrong so this is a shout to the cosmos, not aimed at you or anyone here).

BUT... PHPBB are complete dipshits if they think that XHTML validation means that when one previews a post, and tests a link one may have included in the post, one looses the entire post. The form when one returns to it where one's carefully crafted post was is empty... DOH!

PHPBB should be put over net nanny's knee and be given a jolly good spanking. There is no excuse to make the developer add hacks to the code to fix what is clearly a stupid bug, XHTML validation or otherwise (I have checked their site BTW), there should simply be a toggle on and off in the admin area. Don't ya fink?

Keep up the excellent work Headstrong, god speed the ploughman.

:flower:

Fizzy Izzy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ratty wrote:If you hold down the Ctrl button whilst you click then it opens in a new tab (in Windows Internet Explorer, sorry if you're using a Mac, no really I'm sorry if you're using one :lol: )
He he, no I've got IE. Thanks for that Ratty, I did not know that shortcut :)

Shirley

Agree - it's a pain... but right click on a link and 'open in new tab' is what I'm doing (when I remember!)
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Millymollymandy

Neither holding down control nor right click and open in a new window works for me! Nothing happens though the computer makes some rattling noises.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/