electric motorbike

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
WiseBird
Tom Good
Tom Good

electric motorbike

We're not able to do away with the car completely just yet (80 year old mother!) but we are saving up for this great electric motorbike (technically its a maxi scooter) :cheers:

http://www.vectrix.com/live/uk.php

By the time we have saved up the money later this year they will have improved the battery and so the distance it will go per charge (68 miles at the moment...over a hundred on the new types) but it ain't cheap... :?

Even so...can't wait to be zipping around Dorset on it, spreading the word!
Give us Lord, a bit o' sun,
A bit o' work and a bit o' fun;
Give us all in the struggle and sputter
Our daily bread and a bit o' butter.

From an inn in Lancaster, England

DominicJ
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: electric motorbike

They look good, but very expensive.
Since a petrol 124cc with similar range and speeds is available for £2,000, and not a cheap chinese one that blows up after 600 miles, I'd be wary.

Have you considered winter?
"Scooting" in even the lightest snow is a scary way to commit suicide. In the rain its very unpleasant, 2 years of doing 18 miles each way in the rain convinced me of the wisdom of a car. Even with waterproofs, heavy enough rain for long enough will soak you.
Dry day, enough wind to keep it cool, most fun you can have.
I'm not a hippie, I'm a realist.
I think everyones English

Geonz
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I had a cute little scooter - but the petrol kind. Last May I graduated to a bicycle :) It's much easier to deal with harsh weather on a bicycle than a motorbike, especially chilly weather.
(Tho' I've only used it once, I have a bus option if it's truly heinous and my commute's just 7 miles... and most important, the traffic is gentle, so cycling is pretty easy for me. )
Siouxgeonz

Turtuga Blanku
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

nice!

some disadvantages of a scooter as opposed to a car have been mentioned and if you feel they are important to you, you might want to consider an electric car.

(also, see here:
http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... 41&t=11376)