Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
sushil_yadav
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

The link between Mind and Social / Environmental-Issues.

The fast-paced, consumerist lifestyle of Industrial Society is causing exponential rise in psychological problems besides destroying the environment. All issues are interlinked. Our Minds cannot be peaceful when attention-spans are down to nanoseconds, microseconds and milliseconds. Our Minds cannot be peaceful if we destroy Nature.

Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment.

Subject : In a fast society slow emotions become extinct.
Subject : A thinking mind cannot feel.
Subject : Scientific/ Industrial/ Financial thinking destroys the planet.
Subject : Environment can never be saved as long as cities exist.

Emotion is what we experience during gaps in our thinking.

If there are no gaps there is no emotion.

Today people are thinking all the time and are mistaking thought (words/ language) for emotion.

When society switches-over from physical work (agriculture) to mental work (scientific/ industrial/ financial/ fast visuals/ fast words ) the speed of thinking keeps on accelerating and the gaps between thinking go on decreasing.

There comes a time when there are almost no gaps.

People become incapable of experiencing/ tolerating gaps.

Emotion ends.

Man becomes machine.

A society that speeds up mentally experiences every mental slowing-down as Depression / Anxiety.

A ( travelling )society that speeds up physically experiences every physical slowing-down as Depression / Anxiety.

A society that entertains itself daily experiences every non-entertaining moment as Depression / Anxiety.

Fast visuals/ words make slow emotions extinct.

Scientific/ Industrial/ Financial thinking destroys emotional circuits.

A fast (large) society cannot feel pain / remorse / empathy.

A fast (large) society will always be cruel to Animals/ Trees/ Air/ Water/ Land and to Itself.

To read the complete article please follow any of these links :

PowerSwitch
EnviroLink
StrategyTalk

sushil_yadav
Last edited by sushil_yadav on Sun May 31, 2009 7:07 am, edited 7 times in total.

woolcraft
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Dear Sushil

I cannot disagree with what you say. It is a shame so few people now feel that they have time for contemplating the moment - if they did they may find they are actually alive!!

Best wishes, Sue

sushil_yadav
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

woolcraft wrote:Dear Sushil

I cannot disagree with what you say. It is a shame so few people now feel that they have time for contemplating the moment - if they did they may find they are actually alive!!

Best wishes, Sue

Dear Sue,

Many thanks for expressing your views on the topic.

I have made some additions to the article "Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment". To read the modified article please follow any of these links :

PowerSwitch

EnviroLink

StrategyTalk

sushil_yadav
Last edited by sushil_yadav on Sun May 31, 2009 7:03 am, edited 5 times in total.

sushil_yadav
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Man can repair and restore things that have been made by man himself. Car, Computer, aeroplane, rocket - if anything goes wrong with these things man can repair and restore.

Man cannot repair and restore Nature/ Environment - because man did not make Nature/ Environment. Once a Forest is destroyed - it is gone for millions of years. One cannot create a Forest in 5 or 50 years - it takes millions of years to make a forest - containing millions of species of animals, insects, birds, plants and trees. Man can create a plantation in 5 or 50 years - not a forest.

The only way to save Environment is by not destroying it - leave it alone - leave it undisturbed. If you destroy Environment you cannot repair and restore it.

sushil_yadav
PowerSwitch
EnviroLink
StrategyTalk
Last edited by sushil_yadav on Sun May 31, 2009 7:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

sushil_yadav
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re:

woolcraft wrote:Dear Sushil,

I cannot disagree with what you say.
Best wishes, Sue
woolcraft,

In the context of "environmental crisis" and consumerism I want to give an example.

A person is being stabbed repeatedly at regular intervals - every hour.

Some people are trying to save the victim.

The sane way to save is - you first stop the attack – you prevent the attack.

What these insane people do - they allow the attack to be continued. They don’t stop it -- they don’t prevent it.

Instead, what they do - They say we are going to save the victim by using technology - the best technology - the best medical care.

Bring this technology - Bring that technology.

They give the victim the best technology - the best medical care.

In the meantime the stabbing continues – every hour – even while the best medical care is being given.

One can imagine the fate of the victim.

Ecosystems are getting destroyed due to production of consumer goods.

Every consumer good is made by killing animals, trees, air, water and land - directly or indirectly. [ more killing of nature takes place when consumer goods are used and discarded]

Industrial society is destroying necessary things - animals, trees, air, water and land for making unnecessary things - consumer goods.

The sane way of saving ecosystems is - you stop production of consumer goods - you reduce production of consumer goods to the minimum level.

But the insane Industrial Society continues producing consumer goods [ in fact production is being increased every day]

The insane response of Industrial Society is - We will save the environment with technology - the best technology.

In the meantime production of consumer goods continues - 3 billion people living in cities are continuously engaged in - making , buying and selling of consumer goods - killing the ecosystems moment by moment.

One can imagine the fate of environment.

Height of Insanity.......Height of Abnormality.
Destroy consumerism..... before it is too late.

sushil_yadav
PowerSwitch
EnviroLink
StrategyTalk
Last edited by sushil_yadav on Sun May 31, 2009 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

Problem I have is that I spend most of my time thinking about what a state the environment is actually in! I always seem to draw the same conclusion. There are just far too many humans. But then I realise that it is population that creates the need for all this industry. As long as there is such an enormous human population requiring feeding, clothing, cars, housing, exotic holidays, hobbies etc I do not see how the current trend can be reversed. Much of the waste dumped on the environment now does not decompose for thousands of years and all the time we are dumping more. Cleaning up this waste has just about fallen off the agenda with much of the country (UK) becoming a huge rubbish dump. Collecting rubbish is not profitable!
MINESAPINT

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just come to mind.

OH bought some tea bags. In the packs were some cuddly toys about 4 inches high. These were made in China shipped around the world, loaded at the docks, driven to be packed into these packs of tea bags, delivered to distributors, delivered to shops, purchased by OH and brought home. Dumped into our bin and now on the way to landfill.
MINESAPINT

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

MINESAPINT wrote:Just come to mind.

OH bought some tea bags. In the packs were some cuddly toys about 4 inches high. These were made in China shipped around the world, loaded at the docks, driven to be packed into these packs of tea bags, delivered to distributors, delivered to shops, purchased by OH and brought home. Dumped into our bin and now on the way to landfill.
Erm - that wouldn't happen to be the bran of tea bags that is now advertising itsef as being friendly to the rain forest by any chance? How ironic would that be - and a perfect example of what has been said above!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

MINESAPINT
Living the good life
Living the good life

Cannot recall any adverts but it says Ty Whooo or something like that on the box.
MINESAPINT

farmerdrea
Living the good life
Living the good life

MINESAPINT wrote: But then I realise that it is population that creates the need for all this industry. As long as there is such an enormous human population requiring feeding, clothing, cars, housing, exotic holidays, hobbies etc I do not see how the current trend can be reversed.

Thing is... does the human population actually require much more beyond food, clothing and housing? Do we really NEED exotic holidays, cars or even hobbies? This sense of entitlement - where did it come from (generally speaking, not aimed at you, MINESAPINT).

Andrea
NZ

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Thing is... does the human population actually require much more beyond food, clothing and housing? Do we really NEED exotic holidays, cars or even hobbies? This sense of entitlement - where did it come from (generally speaking, not aimed at you, MINESAPINT).
Andrea
NZ
Media? - we had this discussion a while ago about the prattish woman on radio4 who could not live without high class expensive goods and stated that all who were not like her were 'peasants' - I prefer to be a peasant thank you :flower:
Hobbies is an odd one - a hobby now is what people used to do in order to trade with others for an item of their hobby -i.e. trade surplus veg/eggs for a length of home produced woven fabric, or a knitted garment for an item made from wood or metal.
However we are all using electrically produced technology made of plastics and various metals and minerals - or we would not be having this discussion
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

farmerdrea
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well, then, I'm a peasant. I have no desire for most mod cons, and could probably make do without the few we do have. I have mixed feelings about the computer and phone, because as a bit of a happy hermit, I use them to stay in touch with the few people and places (like this one) that matter to me. I visit a total of 2 forums each day, check the weather, keep up with friends and family (US expat living in New Zealand) and research on various things of interest.

I know what you mean about hobbies, too. People ask about hobbies, and I don't really have any anymore. No time, since living on this farm, and no need, really. My time is used instead for carrying on around here. I guess my only "hobby", or free time activity, is watching TV (love the doco channels!). Oh, and I read for about an hour every evening, so that may count as a hobby, too?

Andrea
NZ

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

snapdragon wrote: I prefer to be a peasant thank you :flower:
Me tooo, me too! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

Wombat wrote:
snapdragon wrote: I prefer to be a peasant thank you :flower:
Me tooo, me too! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Nev
Let's start a society of happy peasants!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

sushil_yadav
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

MINESAPINT wrote: I spend most of my time thinking about what a state the environment is actually in! Much of the waste dumped on the environment now does not decompose for thousands of years and all the time we are dumping more. Cleaning up this waste has just about fallen off the agenda with much of the country (UK) becoming a huge rubbish dump.
farmerdrea wrote: Thing is... does the human population actually require much more beyond food, clothing and housing? Do we really NEED exotic holidays, cars or even hobbies? This sense of entitlement - where did it come from?

Andrea, NZ

For several decades environmentalists have been warning modern society that ecosystems are getting destroyed - that consumerist lifestyle is not sustainable.

But modern society which was busy chasing progress, growth and development did not listen. It refused to believe there was any environmental crisis or problem. It said science and technology will always find a solution - if earth gets destroyed we will move on to another planet.

Impossible dreams were sold to people in the name of science and technology.

Moving to another planet would probably rank as the most impossible of all impossible things.

One space shuttle exploded during take off - another exploded on the return journey.

So far man has not been able to go beyond the moon. There is no other life sustaining ecosystem/ planet within the solar system. Outside the solar system planets and galaxies are millions of light years away - billions of light years away.

So when are we moving to a new home ?

Next year - or 5 years later ?

sushil_yadav
PowerSwitch
EnviroLink
StrategyTalk