Midges

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Midges

It has been very wet here recently and our usually bad midge problem has become a nightmare - we need a way to zap them while we are out in the garden or the garden is unusable.

I cannot emphasise enough how bad these midges are - JohnM was out in the garden for an hour last night - when he came back in he looked like he had chicken pox - parts of his face had just turned red. They don't bother him so much (except from the bites) but I feel them landing on me an have to come straight back in the house - I have resorted to watering the plants while covered head to toe - including a pram mazy net wrapped around my face and neck - it is unbearable

Anyone had any luck with midge killers (I don't really have the £400) for an industrial sized gas unit, and would prefer something rechargeable.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Midges

It's one thing where smokers have an advantage - midges HATE tobacco smoke.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Birdie Wife
Tom Good
Tom Good

We have a few hundred million of the wee criters up here too. A few of the local hotels and B&Bs have midge killers. From what I can gather, they are effective at reducing the midge population BUT they attract midges in from the local area too, so in order to make a difference you have to run them continuously for about 6 weeks, and only after then will you see a difference. You can't just plug them in when you're out in the garden and expect to be midge free for a couple of hours. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! I really do empathise.

Once more into the breach dear friends... :pale:

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Have you tried any of the insect repellents? I've got one called Stop Bite and it's got the fragrance of bog myrtle and it's supposed to keep the midges away. It contains witch hazel, lavender, rosemary, thyme too... and parsley (but no sage :-D)

www.totallyherby.com
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

baldowrie

Get some bats!

Ok to be more realistic

Avon So Soft is supposed to be effective as repellents as is is Shoo...localish product and it's reported the forestry commission use it.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ahh... yes should have explained my extensive application of citronella and lemongrass EO, and skin so soft.

I am surprised by the midge killer attracting them from all around because a neighbour (200yards away) have one... so either that should mean my garden would be free of them because he attracts them, or my garden would be clear because he kills them all - unfortunately neither has happened and unless we get a few weeks of dry weather again or a frost (which feels more likely atm) I am stuck with-um. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I did see a humming device in a baby shop, you clip it to your buggy and emits a hum which is supposed to keep mozies and midges away, I think I'll see if I can find one on the internet.

thanks for the help
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

marshlander

I take it you've covered open water such a water butts?

I understand that on the tv series 'monarch of the glen', the actors had to wear nets over their faces when not filming and they had a midge killing macking working too.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

Fizzy Izzy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

marshlander wrote:...the actors had to wear nets over their faces when not filming...
This just reminded me of when I was on a girl's camp when I was younger next to Kielder Reservior. The midges were terrible and we all went around wearing net curtains over our heads all week! I think that other people at least thought we were very weird and perhaps thought we were part of a strange sect or something!!!

But the net curtains did help...
Smile :)

baldowrie

girl's camp when I was younger next to Kielder Reservior
That site is no longer Forestry Commission and is now community run. The community do not spray the midges like the Forestry Commission used so quadruple those midges then double again!

possum

On the west coat of NZ they have sand flies, their bites are 10 times worse than midge bites. The local remedy is to eat marmite everyday as the smell of this in the skin repells them. I don't know if it will work for midgies, but worth a try.
Opinionated but harmless

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

Having lived in 'midge heaven' for over 20 years and tried everything I can quite honestly say that there is only one cure and that's one of these midge tops. Whilst some repellents do work, I've tried them all and found Avon skin so soft to be the best they will not stop the wee beasties getting in your eyes or up your nose also when you sweat the stuff runs into your eyes and stings like hell. Buy one of these it will be the best £25 you've ever spent and if you can't afford that then get a pair of tights, cut the legs off put the bum over your head and slip the legs over your arms :mrgreen:

You may look stupid and not be able to see very well but trust me your gardening will become a pleasure. I have tried eating Marmite, garlic, rubbing myself with olive oil, vinegar and even bog myrtle leaves but this is the ONLY cure

Cheers, Paul
Attachments
080708 (Small).jpg
080708 (Small).jpg (79.26 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Paul... I might just do that.

I don't think that anyone who hasn't lived with them can understand how horrendous they can be.

They haven't been too bad over the last week or so as the sun has been shining when it is dry (they don't like direct sunlight) or it has been sufficiently windy (they don't like winds above 4 mph)

They don't even bite me much (I do load up on SSS) the bug the livin' bejesus out of my and poor E (she is only 22 months) gets bitten pretty badley.

I did have a closer look at the zappers and I would hate to get something that I need to keep using electricity and gas with... plus the initial £400 outlay is just a wee bitty much. I have stayed on campsites with these zappers and they do a great job but the best thing yet was a sonar device that keeps them away - unfortunately also keeps away birds, bats, ladybirds, etc - which I think is just scary, who knows what it would do to an eco system, even on a small scale :pale:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

camillitech
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi AP,

I did think long and hard about a zapper as our little corner of paradise is really sheltered and like you say anyone who's not experienced the 'wee devil's' just can't comprehend the suffering they can cause. Much as I hate them though they do keep the bats and swallows fed and the people that have them whilst swearing by them ( well you would if you'd paid £900 :shock: for one wouldn't you ) do admit they're not cheap to run :? The 3 people that I know well who have them have all had to send them back for repair and they only have a years guarantee which is a bit of a cheek for something that at most would only be used 4 months of the year. My mother bought the £1100 version :pale: which packed in twice just out of warranty and she had a hell of a time getting it repaired. They did eventually agree to repair it FOC but she had to pay the not inconsiderable carriage. Whilst the price has tumbled recently they're still waaay too dear for what they are.

Cheers, Paul
please bear in mind when reading this post that i'm a taurus so prone to talking bull.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

Sian
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Am following this with interest-you have my greatest sympathy after having been in the Finnish lakes last month-wow!