Jimmy's Farming Heroes

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
Captain Caveman
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Jimmy's Farming Heroes

Did anyone else see this?

I found it very interesting that someone who might be seen as an icon of animal and environmentally friendly farming (Jimmy) on a small scale goes off to see modern mass farming alsewhere. It was very non-judgemental and showed that some efforts are being made to be more green, as well as showing that we couldn't actually support ourselves without the current mass production that gets so much stick.

I think that the "ish" aspect of this site fits well with some of the ideas, in that it's not realistic to be growing our own wheat and many other crops.
Some of the technologies were incredibly like the £300,000 combine harvester and the 26 acre tomato greenhouse

I'd recommend it on iPlayer if you have a spare hour (and broadband!)

Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Jimmy's Farming Heroes

Thanks CC - I saw it advertised but never watched it. Might take a look at that.
Jobi1

"A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." - Franklin Jones.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Captain Caveman wrote:It was very non-judgemental and showed that some efforts are being made to be more green, as well as showing that we couldn't actually support ourselves without the current mass production that gets so much stick.
We certainly couldn't - but that's because there are too many of us. Reduction in world population is a target too, and would reduce the stress on many more aspects of the earth than just food production.

Eat children and save the planet!!!!!!
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Captain Caveman

MKG wrote:Eat children and save the planet!!!!!!
LOL
An alternative would be "Make war not love!" for population control
Ever thought of working for the UN, diplomacy sounds like your thing!

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

It's also available via torrent on a free download from TheBox.bz. I haven't seen it yet, but I think I might now I've seen this.

BTW, it may be too much effort to grow wheat, but there are grains better suited to smallholders. The RealSeeds website has a range of them.