map of the selfsufficientishers

Do you want more categories on this forum? Do you want to see some other things on the main site? Any suggestions you have, please let us know.
wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've just seen this and, even before I started reading, Frappr! came to mind. All it needs is someone to start it off. I've not created one myself but I have used it with another group I belong to.

It would probably be easiest for you to do it, Andy - I reckon a couple of minutes to set it up on Frappr! and then a couple of minutes to post a link to let us all know. Once a bunch of us have signed up and posted our pins on the map, you could then put a link on the -ish front page.

Wulf

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

ah hah wulf to the rescue again, cheers mate - defintely owe you a pint.

http://www.frappr.com/theselfsufficientishers - here we go then.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Jessica
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi every time i open the above site it said error on page maybe its my old computer.
jessie :?

gill didsbury
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Map of selfsuffienters

Hi Andy,

the map has not got Australia on it :( so I cant show where I am

Take care

Gill

Millymollymandy

It does if you zoom right out but it seems to not want to go back to Europe afterwards! Every time I try to navigate around the world I keep getting sent back to New Zealand!

Millymollymandy

I give up! How do you add yourself? I keep getting 'invalid city'. I've tried the name of my village, name of departement, the name of my country ..... France..... all say invalid city! I don't live in a bloomin' city, and how would it know every little village in the world anyway? Grrrrrrrr.

Shirley

Are you in the right continent? I think it opened with US and asked for a zip code... I changed mine to UK.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Millymollymandy

On the details to enter, it says US zip code, under that it says "not in the US?" - you click on that and it changes to city.

Nowhere does it ask you what country you are in!

Millymollymandy

So I can type in Rennes (34km away) or Combourg (18km away) and it has them. But I don't live there. So what do I do? HELP! :(

ina

Yes, it doesn't seem to be any good at villages... I'm down as Aberdeen, and that is 30 miles away. Near enough, I suppose, if you just want a general idea of where folk live.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

wulf

General vicinity should be enough - otherwise you'll have people nipping into your garden and nicking your prize carrots or whatever you've talked about!

I'll have to look and see if you can specify latitude and longitude instead of town - that would give you as much precision as you wanted (with the caveat above).

Wulf

Shirley

good idea Wulf...

I recommended that the people on my frappr didn't put their exact location for that reason... it's scary how close this map can zoom in on a location... although out here in the sticks (my nearest town IS on the map Ina lol) the map doesn't zoom in so much.

MMM - ok - I was going by memory - it wouldn't let me go through the steps again. I'd put in Combourg if that's the closest to you. My nearest town is 12 miles away.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh yes I have not put in my exact location either just up the road in fact.

General vacinity is certainally the way forward.

Forgot to say, I even managed to get it onto a webpage on this site. http://www.selfsufficientish.com/themap.htm

I have put a thing about placing your allotments, shops etc but it appears that you have to come up as a new member to do this you cannot have multiple pins for one person, which is a shame. So ignore the stuff about putting on your allotment etc unless you really do have some spare time on your hands.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Millymollymandy

Does it put the pin in automatically for you then? The map I've used on another forum, we stick the pin in ourselves, in the right place - or near as possible! That's why, obviously, I am trying to type my village or department name as I expect to stick the pin in where it is.

There is no detail on this map outside of the UK - no towns, cities or anything, so no chance of anyone finding me if I give the name of my village!!!

wulf

They can always use another map though! Just because Google is presently a bit light on details for many parts of the world doesn't mean that you can't find all those little hamlets somewhere else (or, indeed, that Google won't add them in over the next few months).

Wulf