Countdown to Selfsufficientish Day August 13th.

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Countdown to Selfsufficientish Day August 13th.

Well the countdown has begun! Don't forget the on August 13th this year the first annual selfsufficientish day will be celebrated across the world!

In order to be part of it all you have to do is something selfsufficientish that you have not done before or simply take some time out and spend it with your friends/family. Just really a time to kick back a bit and enjoy the simple things in life.

What I am doing for it? - Well, it just so happens to be my birthday on the 13th so fingers crossed I have hinted 1000 times that I want a cut throat razor from my girlfriend so hopefully I will be learning to shave in the most sustainable way possible depends how much they cost! I think we will also nip out to the countryside somewhere and just spend a lot of the day together. Oh and no doubt at some point meet up with a bunch of mates in a pub. :drunken:

So what are you doing on Selfsufficientish day?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Russian Doll
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Countdown to Selfsufficientish Day August 13th.

ive got the kids that day so i think a day in the woods foraging may be in order

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

erm... not sure yet. James is working so it'll probably be me and soph, bus to the nature reserve, blackberry covered toddler by the end of the day hahaha!!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Flo

I'd say it will be down the allotment as usual - if nothing else there will be compost heaps to manage. Touch of freecycle as usual to see what is on offer. Could be an investigation into jam making or pickling vegetables if the weather is inclement. Coming up for blackberry time of the year.

red

we'll be having a normal day. Its a Wednesday, so we will both be working, and have the usual commitments to livestock and poultry, and tending the veggies. if there is any time left over we usually kick back and chill.. but time seems to be something we are short of...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

eccentric_emma

hmm, i may be working that day. however i reckon i can cram in some allotment activities.
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hmm, we're doing about the most un-self-sufficientish thing imaginable: going for our first ante-natal consultant visit at the hospital. I suppose I should stick up for my right for a 'normal' birth instead of being fast-tracked for a c-sec simply because I had one last time, thereby saving operating paraphernalia, chemicals and bandages?!! Unfortunately it means a long round trip in the car and as it will be DH and I alone at last for a few hours, away from our three + the teenage cousin visiting from abroad, there will probably be a coffee in a secluded corner somewhere!

Other than that, um, some weeding? Probably picking a bit of home-produce, the usual sort of stuff.
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/

Millymollymandy

I'm getting my old knitting out that day! :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

ina

Work, as usual, with a meeting in the afternoon, so I'll probably be home later than usual. At the moment I'm trying to keep up with raspberries, red and black currants, gooseberries etc, plus knitting a Guernsey for a friend, so if I do have any time and strength left after work, it'll be something along those lines!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Tink
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Well, I have now declared August 13th in my world, sacred! I do have to work in the afternoon, but have decided to start measuring up the chicken house, and run. I'd love to let them wander, but we have a fox problem here. But it will be lovely! And a very big space. We are also going to draw up the plans actual, for the potato planting areas, and start preparation. We are putting nearly the whole lot to spud this year, in the hope that it will clear the garden!

I have inherited a large very badly weedy (some have 6 inches round storks), and they will not go! We have tried everything! Any ideas peeps, it would be much appreciated! Money is an issue and I have spend £3,800 on it already and can't see what I have done! Money has now run out! I have a disability and have to pay for hard garden work to be done! Is the Spud year a good one? :?

Tink x
Eco-tink the plan is in force for a new life!!

SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well I shall be working in the morning but will make a special effort to do something selfsufficientish in the afternoon, whether it be making some chutney, pickling vegetables or sitting down and planning what I can plant in my garden in Autumn. :flower:

Peggy Sue

Great I love a challenge. I keep trying to add to my list of 'good' things I do so I'll have to decide what will happen that day. Made Mayo this week for the first time (one of the few things I still get thats ready made), perhaps I'll do salad cream- saw a recipe yesterday

Really want to have a go at making butter but it may be ambitious for a weekday :?
Just Do It!

SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

Peggy Sue wrote:Great I love a challenge. I keep trying to add to my list of 'good' things I do so I'll have to decide what will happen that day. Made Mayo this week for the first time (one of the few things I still get thats ready made), perhaps I'll do salad cream- saw a recipe yesterday

Really want to have a go at making butter but it may be ambitious for a weekday :?
Oooh! Homemade salad cream and mayo....would you mind posting the recipes, I wouldnt mind having a go at making some of that. :flower:

Peggy Sue

Have to check the salad cream...only read it once but the mayo I did twice- teh first time was bit like helmans- creamy, not any 'background' flavours and quite white. You whisk 2 egg yolks, gradually (drop by drop to start with) add 1/2 pint olive oil whisking all the time- bazzarly it turns from yellow to white. Add a bit of lemon juice and season.

The second time I did mayo it was more like a french style mayo, bit tangy: 3 egg yolks, 1 tbs wine/cider vinegar, whisk in 1/2 pt olive oil, add lemon juice and season.

Its a five minute job and really nice- remember its raw egg yolk though so short shelf life and not for anyone with a dodgy constitution!
Just Do It!

Cheezy

:pale: errm I'll be at a customers in Germany, having flown out the previous day and flying back the next...
I will however after the factory work walk down to the gasthoff I say in (200m), before crossing the road to the local brewery to eat and drink, so no travel miles there!

I'll have to make up with extra work in the allotment/bread/jam/chutney/beer/cider making

Andy, let us know how the cut throat goes I've always been tempted.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli