Countdown to Selfsufficientish Day August 13th.

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
circlecross
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Countdown to Selfsufficientish Day August 13th.

Still intend to learn how to knit; used to be able to knit, not very well, but never knew how to cast on and off - mum would always do that. SSish day falls between the two festivals I am going to, and as I will be visiting my MIL, under duress, as she is just round the corner, so it's green to go and see her :pukeright: it seems like the perfect opportunity to learn a skill which will take lots of concentration, and probably require me to go and sit in a seperate room :thumbleft:
"yum, yum, piggy's bum!"

http://www.myspace.com/circlecross_73

Peggy Sue

Oh my God my MIL is the least green person I know. She never keeps any leftovers in teh fridge to eat the next day, if they don't finish the meal its straight in the bin (poor dog looking on in dismay!). Everything has to be wrapped in clingfilm, plastic bags straight in the bin. MIL & FIL come to visit coz they like the garden centre near us, not the 7 they pass on route, but they come in separate cars so one can go shopping and one go fishing or whatever- cringe!!!

I keep trying to disitl just a bit of greenery in their lives but its a real challenge, I'll tell them about -ish day and see what they can do
Just Do It!

Shirley

I've no idea what I'm doing on the 13th - or even where I'll be, but I'll do my best to celebrate in some way.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

ina

Shirlz wrote:I've no idea what I'm doing on the 13th - or even where I'll be, but I'll do my best to celebrate in some way.
WE can always just have a birthday party for the twins... :wink:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Shirley

ina wrote:
Shirlz wrote:I've no idea what I'm doing on the 13th - or even where I'll be, but I'll do my best to celebrate in some way.
WE can always just have a birthday party for the twins... :wink:
Sounds good to me!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

prison break fan

Only just found out about ssish day. work has got in the way! I shall be another year older by then and hopefully wiser? I'll be down the allotment, gathering veg and then finding new things to do with them. Quizmaster's courgette recipe for bread is brilliant. How long will it keep in the freezer? and pasta sauce, should I bottle it or freeze it? As you can tell, I need help!!!

Cheezy

prison break fan wrote:Only just found out about ssish day. work has got in the way! I shall be another year older by then and hopefully wiser? I'll be down the allotment, gathering veg and then finding new things to do with them. Quizmaster's courgette recipe for bread is brilliant. How long will it keep in the freezer? and pasta sauce, should I bottle it or freeze it? As you can tell, I need help!!!

Where's that recipe I could do with "another " thing to chuck courgettes into :wink:
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

prison break fan

Hi cheesey, the courgette bread recipe is in "new to the internet" on topics. Hope this is clear otherwise I'll type it out for you! pbf.

guildford gran
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I looked in my diary and I've got a dentist's appt. - I don't think I want to try out selfsufficientish on that!!!!!
I'm thinking about using my unheated greenhouse in the south of England for a bit more than the tomatoes I grow every year. Any ideas please?
Guildford Gran

Rosendula

I'm thinking about using my unheated greenhouse in the south of England for a bit more than the tomatoes I grow every year. Any ideas please?
I have planted the last of my new potatoes in some buckets in the garden. When the weather turns colder I'm going to take them into the greenhouse in the hope that I will have home-grown new potatoes for Christmas dinner.

I've also sown some carrot seeds in deep pots, and some peas in buckets. I'm basically going through my seed collection and looking for things that should have been sown outside by last month at the latest. I'm then sowing them in pots I can keep in the greenhouse and keeping my fingers crossed for a late mini harvest :wink:
Rosey xx

Big Al

Andy Hamilton wrote:

What I am doing for it? - Well, it just so happens to be my birthday on the 13th so fingers crossed I have hinted 1000 times that I want a cut throat razor from my girlfriend so hopefully I will be learning to shave in the most sustainable way possible depends how much they cost!

Girlfriends are lovely... just don't ask the wife for a cut throat...mine has offered far too often if you ask me......

As for self sufficient day I'll be continuing my research on solar thermal, wood / multi fuel stoves and rainwater harvesting. I'll be cooking a stew with solar power and having a go at charging a torch with bike power.

I was going to badger the local paper but they are not interested in SSD.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

Jane is going to show me how to use the sewing machine so when her hands are bad i can help out, mind you i have wanted to make a king size patchwork quilt, heres hoping :scratch:

Russ :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Going to work on my mates garden, he's 80yrs old and not doing to so well, so I will spend the day with him and if alls well will have beer or two.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

linzibean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Well, I think I'll get onto finishing a shawl I'm knitting for the autumn, and bake come cakes - yum. Maybe pull up some of my last spuds to have with dinner, and have a nosy to see if any of the blackberries are ripe yet. I'd love to go fishing at the coast but I think the weather is going to be too naff for that!
When I was young people called me a hippy. Now I'm a bit older I'm just called environmentally aware..... that's progress!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I will be toddler free so I should probably get out to the garden and do a major tidy-up.... maybe even finish the chook house :roll: of course now I have said that, it is sure to rain...

hmm, I need a plan B...
baking and cooking is usually a mistake as the food is finished before anyone else gets home :oops:
I can't really go out on the bike if it is raining (well I can, but it doesn't make much sense, though I could go to the library on my own :cheers: )
I could do knitting, but I tend to sit on my bum knitting, crocheting and cross-stitching far too much anyway...
I am trying to think of something that I can do that I have been putting off :? besides phoning architects, builders, planning dept. or building myself a new house :roll:

I am making a promise to myself though - I won't switch the computer on at all, all day (it could do with a rest :roll: )
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay