Chinese food made easy

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Chinese food made easy

I like this, I really do!
I'm surprised, I was expecting it to be some woman "doing a delia" and using tinned mince with a bit of five spice added, but it's not! I've seen Ching-He-Huang's programme on a cooking chanel at my mum's house and liked it, but this series I can get on my little freeview box. From the cable programme I tried Char Sui (chinese roast pork loin) with some reduced pork tenderloin I found at asda. it was lovely.
From this BBC series I've tried her pork/prawn dimsum (*drools*) recipe, and I already use a Ching-He Huang recipe for sweet and sour and kung po sauce (sweet and sour with chilli added hahaha!!).
I'm planning to try a lot more of her recipes and also intend to buy one or two of her books to compliment the one chinese food book I own; a 1950s bilingual cookbook published by the Hong Kong Gas Company; one page is in cantonese, then it's translated on the next page into english, found at the hospice charity shop in basildon and guarded with a vengance :lol:

Anyway, Ching-He Huang rocks!!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/chinesefoodmadeeasy/

I am very thankful for Ching, she's made life one hell of a lot tastier since our chinese take away went massively up in price.
Big up Ching!!! :thumbright:
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chinese food made easy

Totally agreed ....
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

sleepyowl

Its a really good program I liked Indian Food Made Easy too
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

shell
Living the good life
Living the good life

I would really like to see this programme,must look on the box,i get freeveiw what no or channel is it?this week i went to the pics and then for a treat popped into a chinese restaurant with my oldest daughter,it was a treat for her really as she had a baby 24 july and has just got out on her own,any way to get down to the point,she ordered sweet and sour cod and boiled rice ,price,12.50 euro`s,when it came it was a piece of cod in breadcrumbs(like you get in supermarkets in a pack of 4 approx)in sweet and sour sauce similar to any jar you can pick up of sauce,
and i had king prawns and scallions in ginger,when that came it was 12 king prawns,half a red onion and a couple of slithers of spring onion caramelised,and what seemed like chicken granules gravy (weak)with ginger powder in it and a splash of soya sauce,price 14.50
all with white boiled rice,i could do this myself,it must be a doddle really,but i would use cornflour instead of granules,and sprinkle ginger powder over it as i like ginger,i have to say i loved my meal and my daughter liked hers but thought it was a bit of a cheat,but we would certainly give these two dishes a go at home,with brown rice,12 prawns was too much for me,
but what simple meals?
shell

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

It was on BBc2 on a monday, but it's no longer available. This site however shows all her recipes and techniques.

edited 'cos I made a mistake with days and times hahaha!!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Cheezy

We love her as well , we call her Shoxching wine since we'd never heard of the stuff and she uses it in most of her recipes.

In fact we count how many times she says Shoxching rice wine in an episode, also you get a bonus point if she says "Wok on!"

Most of her recipes are very easy and quick, however the other night I had a go at spring rolls and singapore noodles. Both of which were a disaster. I had the "wrong " pancake rappers, and these just unravelled on frying a complete nightmare, after the ages it took me to rap the b**s**ds up. And I was too slow with m' egg n' noodles and ended up with a gloopy mess.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

I enjoy her programme to. The food always looks amazing and I always feel hungry when I watch it!
Her book is out at the moment and on offer at "the book people" online if anyone is interested. :flower: