Chicken of the Streets

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
hedgewizard
A selfsufficientish Regular

Yup, whipping yourself with nettles is an old one. It's a counter-irritant and provides some temporary relief from the pain of arthritis. Seems pretty extreme to me but I'm told that although one sting is painful, a really lot of them provides a warming buzz... although a friend of mine had to be hospitalised after rolling down a nettly slope as a child. Nettles+adrenaline+antihistamine=ouch.

I don't usually bother with fresh giant puffballs because my wife doesn't like them, but they're so easy once you've found the spot because they come up in the same place year after year and have a relatively long season. If I do cook them I usually slice and dip them in egg and toasted porridge oats, then fry them. About as filling as a hamburger of the same size, and probably not far off it in terms of protein. A bit like mushroom-flavoured marshmallow though, so you need to think about texture (hence the toasted oats).

For me though, giant puffballs really come into their own dried and powdered to use as a thickening and flavouring powder for adding to stews and soups. Everything I find over a season that I don't intend to use fresh - because it's past its best or maggot-damaged, or just not so tasty - goes into the drier and thence into the coffee-grinder. Except for ceps... the powder from them gives a stronger flavour and I prefer to keep it separate.

Oh yeah, westcountrymen, I found this. How in the hell did I miss a program like this?

shiney

We used to go foraging for mushrooms (puffballs mainly) with my mum. I love mushrooms, but they dont' like me. Even safe ones make me ill if I eat too many (like garlicky mushrooms on toast with parsley). I have to go easy on them. :cry:

I did go on a great moring out at Warminster once on a 'Fungi Foray'. (as they called it) Again with my mum. A right strange crew of folks on that one. The guy who was leading the search actually looked like a mushroom. :shock:

Yes, I have a vivid imagination. :flower:
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Shirley

hedgewizard wrote: I don't usually bother with fresh giant puffballs because my wife doesn't like them, but they're so easy once you've found the spot because they come up in the same place year after year and have a relatively long season. If I do cook them I usually slice and dip them in egg and toasted porridge oats, then fry them. About as filling as a hamburger of the same size, and probably not far off it in terms of protein. A bit like mushroom-flavoured marshmallow though, so you need to think about texture (hence the toasted oats).

For me though, giant puffballs really come into their own dried and powdered to use as a thickening and flavouring powder for adding to stews and soups. Everything I find over a season that I don't intend to use fresh - because it's past its best or maggot-damaged, or just not so tasty - goes into the drier and thence into the coffee-grinder. Except for ceps... the powder from them gives a stronger flavour and I prefer to keep it separate.
That's just how we ate it, although we added some garlic into the pan too. Sounds a good idea using it dried! Will bear that in mind when we find a source...
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Shirley

wow - that programme looks like it must have been excellent - will have to keep an eye out for that one... have downloaded the fact sheets - lots of pointers and some scrummy recipes!!!
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

glenniedragon

Ahh!

I missed it too!, I could kick myself! I don't often watch ITV (I'm afraid CBeeBies has first call to TV) and as soon as kids go to bed it tends to be switched off (bliss)
have to watch for repeats

Kind thoughts
Deb

ina

hedgewizard wrote:dip them in egg and toasted porridge oats, then fry them.
That's what I do with parasol mushrooms - no need for slicing! Somebody said they taste like veal, but I don't know...
Last edited by ina on Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Millymollymandy

I already posted about that series on TV, but no-one else appears to have watched it!!! It was great.

Shirley

MMM - I just came across that title scribbled on the end of my to do list !!!! I knew it sounded familiar and it was you mentioning it that made me write it down. Doh!!!

Will have to hope that it is repeated.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

hedgewizard

Apparently the pdf summary url is no longer there, so here's the parent.

smurf
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Andy, the chicken of the woods I found was on a big willow on eugine street near the BRI. I have found judas ears in the evergreens at ashton court and massive oysters in fishponds park. Beefsteak and common puffballs in the deciduous woods at ashton court. Do you know which tree buds are particularly good to eat, or that should be avoided?

welcome th Bristol!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

smurf wrote:Hi Andy, the chicken of the woods I found was on a big willow on eugine street near the BRI. I have found judas ears in the evergreens at ashton court and massive oysters in fishponds park. Beefsteak and common puffballs in the deciduous woods at ashton court. Do you know which tree buds are particularly good to eat, or that should be avoided?

welcome th Bristol!
Not sure about tree buds mate.

Ah yes ashton court, always mean to have a look around there. Where is fishponds park? Thanks for the welcome chap :lol:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

hedgewizard

Hawthorn buds are good to nibble or in salad - the country name is "bread and cheese" because they taste savoury. Can't get access to all my books at the mo, so that's all I have.

grahoom
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Shirlz2005 wrote: We had a bloke from Azerbaijan come to visit us once - he caught a rabbit in our garden with his hands.. using techniques from his country... and also whipped himself with nettles (perhaps a little kinky for most of the selfsufficientishers) saying it was 'good medicine'
hehe, - i've heard of people whipping themselves with nettles.. not tried it myself mind. - saying that not tried whipping myself with anything else...

how did he catch the rabbit with his hands? - thats some skills there!
|You can't feel lonely with nature as your companion| millican dalton