antivirus/firewall for linux?

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

antivirus/firewall for linux?

1. do I need them?
2. can I get them free?

I have a hardware firewall on the wireless router but on the pc I run avgfree. they dont make a linux version though; possibly 'cos hardly anyone makes linux virusses lol!!!

but still, I prefer to be safe than sorry...
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: antivirus/firewall for linux?

I'm sure there are some anti-virus programs for Linux Mrs F, and I'm sure most of them are free.
BUT, I don't think I would bother, I have run Linux for umpteen years and never come across a virus.
That's not to say there aren't any, but Linux makes it particularly difficult to damage your files remotely as unlike Windows you have to be logged in as root user before you can do anything with files.
Plus the small(ish) community of Linux users compared to Windows users makes it less "interesting" for the hacker/virus writer.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: antivirus/firewall for linux?

I have a virus scanner on ubuntu. I can only assume I found it on the add/remove list as I'm not clever enough to source programs through Terminal. I installed it to be all clever and to protect my system, used it loads for all of a couple of months, then I got bored with it not finding anything or doing anything clever (Avast had a siren and flashy things!!!) so I don't bother any more. The only problems my 'pootah has can be solved by a good thump on the bottom left hand corner or by turning it upside down and shaking it :mrgreen:
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette