Horseradish know how??

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

Horseradish know how??

Just planted some horseradish in a large tub (Ive been warned that it spreads like mad) and put the tub under cover. How do you harvest the root and make sure that you have some left? Does it come up (or should that be go down?) in several roots or do I have to chop a bit off from the root and leave the rest to grow again?
Now, what did I come in here for??????

The Chili Monster
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi goodlife1970

Q. How do I grow horseradish?
A. According to an online gardener's network, you should plant horseradish roots as soon as the ground can be worked in the spring. Plant the roots up to six inches deep and one foot apart. If you are planting multiple rows, give them two to three feet between the rows. Horseradish will tolerate almost any soil. A slightly acidic soil is preferred. Horseradish roots are known to spread and multiply easily. Keep the roots weeded early in their life and supply ample water in dry periods. Add mulch for nutrients and to retain moisture. Roots are hardy and do not normally have any insect, pest or disease problems. When planted in early spring, horseradish can be harvested in the fall. Some gardeners leave horseradish in the ground, only pulling what they need when they need it. During the process of pulling roots, thin them out if they are crowded. Horseradish is a perennial. (Of course these directions depend on your gardening zone. For specific questions, contact your local county extension agent.)

The Gospel According to www.horseradish.org 8)
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

hedgewitch

ooh, Horseradish is something I'd love to have a go at growing!
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

Seems that Ill need more than one root then? Ill try leaving it in and see what happens! Ta ever so! :lol:
Now, what did I come in here for??????