electric fencing

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

electric fencing

hi peps .my question is more electrical than computing. My livestock grazing is currently being "managed" by an electric fence. I have begged two old batteries that have a little life left in them ( not good enough to use on a car) and i am charging one for a day then changing the batteries over.
i have a few questions.
firstly is there any way that i can check for life without having to touch the d### thing? also i have seen solar powered chargers advertised for not much money (less than £10) would that be good enough if i left it attached to the battery to keep it charged? and therefore not have to keep swopping them . thanks in anticipation..
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: electric fencing

I know you can buy battery testing kits, not sure how much though. Slightly safter than using a finger!

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

thanks Helsbells. . being a bit dozy. i think the thing you are talking about tests the life in the battery. now i am sure thats important, but how much life in a battery will be strong enough to blip the fence? :lol:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

AFAIK, the batteries don't normally attach directly to the fencing wire. There's a box between the two which acts as a capacitor. That way the battery only needs to deliver a small current in order for the fence to work. A charge on a car battery should last weeks - obviously depending on how stubborn your animals are.

You can test the charge of a battery using a standard multimeter, I think.

Sorry for being a bit vague, but I've only done a little preliminary research as part of our planning for livestock.