Uses for used cat litter?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
The Prehistorian
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Uses for used cat litter?

Any ideas of what we can use our used cat litter for?

The cat is locked in every night as we don't want another one to end up flatted on the road outside. This means that she uses the tray every morning, both number 1s and number 2s. Her poos are a little runny (she's getting on a bit - vet has checked her out and says there is nothing wrong) so we can't pick out the 'little messages' that she has left...it's all a bit sloppy. Seem to get through a lot of cat litter and it feels wrong binning it every day. Any ideas?

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Uses for used cat litter?

Mmmmm your description was very detailed :pukeright: but missing an important element:

What kind of cat litter is it?

(Sympathies for the flatted cat, we lost both our young uns within 3 weeks of each other last month, so I know how crappy it is.)

:cat: x

The Prehistorian

ah, good question, normally whatever the shop has left, mostly Thomas's naturally absorbant one in a yellow bag, sort of white gritty stuff.

Penny Lane
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've been looking for an alternative to landfill for kitty litter for years. We have 17 cats and they all stay in which means litter trays are changed daily!

We use the smart price litter & so far haven't found a way of getting rid of it other than the tip.
There are alternatives for paper base litters though, I'm sure someone will pipe up and say what they are! Good luck :flower:
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Well, it does depend on the size of your garden but when my old cat needed litter, I used to tip it out around the boundaries of the garden, hiding it under shrubs or hedges. That way it helps to scent-mark the garden for your cat and lets other cats know it's someone's territory. I wouldn't recommend it if you have young children though.

You could dig a hole and bury it. Bit of a nuisance if you have to dig a new hole every day though. I suppose you could dig a hole big enough for a week and tip the stuff into it each day. Then cover it up at the end of the week and dig a new hole.

I used to wrap the paper-based litter in newspaper and pop it on the Rayburn. Don't try it with an open fire though.

Cheers
Zoe

contadino
Living the good life
Living the good life

Used cat litter makes a great substitute for Instant Mashed Potato. :pukeright:

evelyn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have 8 cat's (all rescue) of all ages and some with bit's missing.

I used litter many years ago but found it very messy and expencive and i felt guilty about putting it in the bin to, so i started using old news paper insted, just a few sheets in the bottom and a few shredded so they have something to cover there poop over with, it still goes in the bin but i dont feel so bad as i am recycling news paper, and the added bonus is that as my neighbours save there news papers for me it costs me nothing.

Eve

Rosendula

Am I the only one whose cats (every cat I've ever had), when they have used litter trays stands in the tray and poops over the edge on the floor? :shock: :? :roll:
Rosey xx

Camile
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hello,

we have a few cats ourselves and my oh swears by this litter:
http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_lit ... tter/14001

I would imagine you could find it in the UK.

And the joy of it is that being wood based, we end up burning it in it in the wood stove.

Camile

Shirley

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/Prod ... fault.aspx

Apparently you can even flush this down your loo! I've not tried it though. We use Bio Catalet (we buy it via our food co-op) and that works well.

Have a look at this link (not promoting them as I've never used them so can't vouch for them) - it's got all of these on offer, and another one called Yesterday's News which is made from recycled newspapers. http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/erol.html (if that link doesn't go direct to the cat litter section then it's on page 2 of the cat litter section)
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

MikeM
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Rosendula wrote:Am I the only one whose cats (every cat I've ever had), when they have used litter trays stands in the tray and poops over the edge on the floor? :shock: :? :roll:

nope, and it was especially nice when one of them had the squits, that left some interesting stains on the kitchen floor :lol:
Hypocrite slayer for hire. So many hypocrites, so little time.

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

you could always put some of it beneath the soil in plant pots, or mix it in with your neet compost, say one shovel of cat litter to 3 or 4 of soil, which would help with drainage in wet areas or again in pots??

Greenbeast

we too lock our cats in at night, but never use a litter tray, they're stuck in from 8pm and then have breakie at 7am before being let out

they know they can go in the morning and so we never have any trouble

saves on litter and smell!

pouch

we've use wheat cat litter with our 2 cats.

They are also locked in at night because our last cat got run over so I completely sympathise with you :)

I found this seller on ebay, it's the cheapest I could find, it comes in a huge sack via a courier so make sure you have somewhere to store it if you do decide to buy it, we've had 5 or 6 bags off him over the past couple of years, it lasts for ages.

http://tinyurl.com/9soh2g

it's completely biodegradable, we flush it down the loo

earthmotherwithin
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

We use a recycled paper based product for our cat. We usually scatter the tray in the garden, away from the vegetables because we are told by experts that it should not be used that way.

I have just received a book from the Good Life book club in which there is a picture story of a person who made a worm farm just for pet litter. They used an old bath, and the product from the worm farm goes to feed the trees on their property.
Perth Western Australia