Co-Op eco cleaning range

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
starchild
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Co-Op eco cleaning range

I read in my CoOp magazine that they have their own range of eco friendly cleaning products.
Has anyone tried them? How did you get on with them?

They're BUAV approved too, as you'd expect from the Co-Op I guess.
I might check them out this week. We generally use bicarb and vinegar, but if dh does the cleaning, he's still a Cif man. He didn't get on with the Ecover cream cleaner at all, so I was wondering if these were worth investigating.
Follow our family's progress as we work through our zero waste challenge:
http://myzerowaste.com/

For all aspects of greener living
http://littlegreenblog.com/

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Co-Op eco cleaning range

Generally - like you I use bicarb etc. The only thing I haven't found a suitable substitute for is dish washer tablets. I used the Co-Op ones recently and they were really good and a similar price to the regular ones - which is good as for some daft reason most eco brands tend to be much more expensive :? . I'd recommend them
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have just started using co-op washing powder, I have been using about half the amount (I live in a soft water area), anyway it seems ok. The price seemed reasonable too in comparison to other brands. I have a new washing machine, so I am getting used to that too.

I have been using ecover cleaner but it's not the cream one, i have found that to be quite effective, and easy to use. I do use vinegar too, but I don't seem to be able to buy a large amount so it goes quite quickly and so seems less economical in the end.

Flo

Co-op ain't bad and surprisingly cost effective. If you want vinegar you need to know someone with a card that gets them into a wholesaler like Costco or Makro or be able to get into somewhere like a larger Chinese outlet. This is a useful site for bulk buys of white vinegar - bit more expensive than if you can use the local cash and carry.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Here's a dishwasher recipe I downloaded, if you're interested millims.

In a plastic container with a firmly fitting lid, mix:
1 cup borax (20-Mule-Team Borax, available in any supermarket)
1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup citric acid (available in brewing stores among other places--if you haven't
tracked it down yet but must try this formula, use two packets of Lemonade-Flavored
Kool-Aid, ONLY lemon, or you'll dye your dishwasher! and ONLY unsweetened Kool-Aid!)
30 drops citrus essential oil--lemon, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, or a mixture

Put all of it in the container, shake it up.

To use, put a tablespoon or so into each cup of your dishwasher. I've found I no longer
have to use the scrubbing cycle but can get by fine with the short cycle, thus saving
even more money. On average, it looks like this is about 8 cents a load compared with
Cascade at 22 cents a load. Compare it with EcoVer or Seventh Generation and it's a steal.
I have also started putting some of this in a shaker canister--the one I have we got at a
restaurant supply, it's aluminum and was made for popcorn salt. I use it to clean my sink
and anything else that I'd normally use Bon Ami on. Works great, and the essential oil
makes it smell fantastic.

I made it as per the recipe but found the amount of essential oils overpowering - I could still smell it the next time we used the dishes, otherwise it worked pretty well. It's obviously a US recipe and I have no idea if my dishwasher even has a scrub cycle.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Sorry, I forgot to mention I didn't use as much as they suggested either, but I couldn't seem to fit much more than a tbsp in the tray anyway.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I use the dishwasher tablets and washing liquid when I can get hold of them. My local Co-op is quite small so the supply of anything is a bit hit and miss. I think they are as good as any other brand and the washing liquid doesn't make me itch. You don't need any conditioner with it either.

They often have special offers which helps keep the cost down.

Zoe

Silver Ether

I buy my white vinegar from asian shops ...cheap too. Do you know tha :flower: t using detergents makes surfaces sticky so the diirt sicks to it and you have to clean it more often ...

I recently prooved this to a friend who is cleaning contantly ... her place is not cleaner than mine in fact her floors don't shine my do because all I use is vinegar ....and I have time to go and play in the woods :flower:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

invisiblepiper

I have just been given a £5 voucher for these coop products, so i will try them and report back. Trouble is - I have to use the car to get to the co' and Morrisons is within walking distance. :?
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

starchild
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We tried the fabric conditioner this week (our water is really hard) and I couldn't stand the smell of it. In fact I had to rewash everything with vinegar afterwards and it STILL smells :(

Very disappointed that most things seem to come with such powerful fragrances........
Follow our family's progress as we work through our zero waste challenge:
http://myzerowaste.com/

For all aspects of greener living
http://littlegreenblog.com/

juperwort
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Milims wrote:Generally - like you I use bicarb etc. The only thing I haven't found a suitable substitute for is dish washer tablets. I used the Co-Op ones recently and they were really good and a similar price to the regular ones - which is good as for some daft reason most eco brands tend to be much more expensive :? . I'd recommend them
Eco products cost more as they, being smaller manufacturers, make smaller quantities, and dont make them out of cheap industrial detergents / by - products.