What are you having for christmas dinner?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

What are you having for christmas dinner?

I was just wondering what you were having for christmas dinner this year? And how organised you are?

We are having either salmon fishcake with chilli jam or breaded camembert with cranberry sauce to start with.
Then I will be cooking a free range locally sourced large chicken. (there is going to be meat in the house this year!!!! My OH is a real carnivore and its the first time in 4 years we will have spent actual xmas day together!) So I will be doing the traditional dinner for him, pigs in blankets, honey roast parsnips, sprouts, carrots, mashed and roast tatties etc.
We are not having a christmas pud as neither of us are pudding fans, just a mega cheeseboard with homemade onion marmalade, fruit and a glass of port.

I am quite organised, I made cranberry sauce yesterday (with a good dash of port in it!) I have made my chutneys and marmalades etc, will make some apple sauce today.
We have a cheese factory not far away and they have a fabulous little shop, so I have been and got some nice cheeses from there.

http://www.peakdistrictcottages.net/h000a003.html

Our christmas will be quiet, but I am looking forward to it.

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Re: What are you having for christmas dinner?

already in the cupboard nutroast mix, dried cranberries for sauce, crumbs and dried herbs for stuffing
In the freezer - some veg in bags (hope the labels stayed stuck on)
and from my order sheet from the butchers we're having
local free range turkey breast roast
rib of beef
boiling bacon
chipolatas
sausagemeat (for rolls and stuffing)
venison for casserole
eggs
spuds
celery
peppers
onions
carrots
parsnips
lettuce
lemon (?)
for five for five days? I'm pretty sure I need to get 'more stuff'

writing this I've already remembered six things I totally forgot :roll:

so the answer is - norraclue
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

You have just reminded me Snapdragon..........

I was going to ask if anyone had any good "stuffing" recipes. :flower:

jenko
Tom Good
Tom Good

hey mum whats rong with the stuffin you usally do. i like it as it is.

jenko

SarahJane
Living the good life
Living the good life

jenko wrote:hey mum whats rong with the stuffin you usally do. i like it as it is.

jenko

Awww thanks love, I just thought that I would try something diffferent. xxxxxxx

StripyPixieSocks

We're having: Roast Chicken, Roast Potatoes, Roast Parsnips, Mashed Swede & Carrot, Savoy Cabbage (OH hates sprouts), Stuffing and Gravy

For dessert: Christmas Pudding and Fresh Custard

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

We'll be having the full works, having discovered that our eldest boy is a turkey fan we've lived on it throughout the year, but it'll be on Boxing day as Mr Luvpie is working ang the two eldest boys will be at their dads for the day itself.

So in answer to the question, myself and the baby will be having sandwiches and mincepies, and I may take a small bottle of something homemade to wash it down with at the allotment.

Sarah
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

red

FR turkey on order from local butchers.. they are reared on a farm locally.

we will have roast spuds, which we had to buy locally as we have run out of our own, but the rest of the veg wil be ours:

braised spiced red cabbage (already made and in freezer) parmesan parsnips (prepped - in freezer) sprouts and PSB (both in the garden)

We have homemade redcurrant jelly instead of cranberry (given to us by an aunt - swapped for tomato chutney) and we have xmas pud for after - home made naturally :mrgreen:

today we are cooking a massive on the bone ham, which we bought locally. We'll eat that until Christmas day, then we shall have turkey and ham after that...
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

missy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i don't have a clue what we're having for xmas dinner as we're going to my parents and i trust my mum to do something she know's i'll eat. boxing day, however, my husbands family are coming to my house and we're having cheese and biscuits, cold meats etc... basically no cooking as i'm due to give birth in a few weeks and don't want to cook for 9.
Missy
photographer and mother of 3
http://missysx.blogspot.com/

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

T'is Goose for us, organic & free range, that hubby will go & catch on Xmas Eve. We always have our big meal on Boxing day & our eldest is coming home for Xmas which is wonderful!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Big Al

prawn and sweet chili in salmon wraps
then Prawn cocktail
then carrot and corriander soup...... which brings me to the question, can you freeze soup ?
then traditional dinner with every trimming
then chocolate torte on a bed of oatmeal biscuit and cream
then cheeseboard and coffee

then batman the dark knight..............yey
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Penny Lane

Absolutely nothing.

Husband is going to have dinner at his mother's but only because she feels like she *has* to cook.

We haven't done xmas dinner for years but I suppose in the future we'll have to do something for our son... I suppose!

To be honest, we can't wait until we're home after visiting all the family!!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

JulieSherris

This year, we have my eldest & her little one, myself & hubby....... and the dreaded MIL :cry:

Anyhow, we'll be having the full Turkey dinner with all the usual trimmings.
Our Turkey was running around the field next door yesterday - watched them being put into the trailer this morning, & they will be back on tuesday all plucked & ready.
Little Leah is SO excited about her turkey dinner this year & has spent the last 3 months talking to the birds & wondering which one will be on her plate this xmas!! Our dogs will miss them though - the turkeys used to come & scavenge on our side of the bank & provided many entertaining moments with our (now) well-behaved Bassets!
Hubby made a joke earlier today & we've now put a pic of the birds on the PC - I'm printing it onto the name cards for the dinner table :mrgreen:

NEXT year, I am planning to have one of our own turkeys - once we've built the run & house & bought the birds, that is!

Afterwards will be xmas pud & cream - the cupboards are full with the usual chrimbo rubbish, & apart from contending with the inane MIL comments, a good time will be had by all :drunken:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Millymollymandy

I'm very traditional at Xmas and I like turkey with all the trimmings followed by Xmas pud. I don't eat turkey at any other time of the year because I don't actually like it except when it is part of Xmas dinner with cranberry sauce! :lol:

Anyway off to battle the crowds in the supermarket this afternoon to get our turkey - they are only available in the last week before Xmas here in France.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

eccentric_emma

I'm having chestnut stew! And brussels and cabbage with sage butter, roast potatoes etc

For pudding I'm having medjool dates stuffed with marzipan *drool*
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com