Plastic Bags

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

They are MUCH cheaper in Germany - I think the one I gave you was something like €1.59 (a bit more than £1); you can easily get simple ones for €1, possibly less. Stronger bags might cost a bit more; but this type lasts for years, anyway! I'm sure there are some in my collection that I've had for up to 20 years. Washed in the machine on a regular basis, of course.

Ina

LSP
Tom Good
Tom Good

If anyone in the UK reading this Forum is interested: my bundles of string bags are now being sold at 10% discount, with tote bags going at £2.83 if you bought five at a go.

The payment service provider is upping the charge when small businesses like me don't have much of a choice. So, I am lowering the price for a limited period just to spite them a bit. They would make even less from your orders if you ordered before 12 noon tomorrow.

However, for realistic long-term survival, the prices will have to go back up in March.

Please tell all your friends who also hate plastic bags. Buy bundles and sell them to your friends and neighbours at normal price (£3.49 for a tote). I don't mind.

Best,

LSP
the hanky lady at Organic-Ally and OrganicAlly.Blogspot

SuzannaL

plastic bag

I've just moved over from the Netherlands to the UK and was appalled at seeing how many plastic bags are being taken out of the supermarket (is there a law that you cannot fill up your bags - preffering to use as many as you can??)

I've just emailed T***o's, Sainsbury's and ASDA to let them know that twenty years (!) ago our Dutch supermarkets stopped providing free bags, and now people either bring their own or buy a 'bag-for-life'. I cannot even remember (I'm 30 now) that I never brought a bag to the supermarket.

I ofcourse now still take my own bags to the supermarket here (over 20 years it just has become a habit). Always getting looks from the people at the till or other customers. I'm sure if supermarkets here will fully support this cause, then they can easily step into the footsteps of their Dutch counterparts.

LSP
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi SuzannaL, if you do check back to this forum, alles goed? I know what you mean.

Checkout staff often give me that 'ha? which planet did you just arrive from?' look. Interestingly, as plastic bags have been around for 30 years, there is a whole new generation now that has grown up with only plastic bags around.

One of my enduring memories of Netherlands (amongst many, as I lived there a year) are some budget travellers learning that there is money to be made by picking up empty plastic bottles strewn on the streets by other travellers and returning them to the supermarket as customers have to pay a deposit on them.

That, and walking past people, and finding myself stopping, turning around and saying to myself "hash"!
the hanky lady at Organic-Ally and OrganicAlly.Blogspot

woolcraft
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I was in B&Q at the weekend. When I got to the checkout I wasn't offered a bag and used my canvas bag I took with me. Unfortunately I had one large awkward item, so I said, 'I think I might need a bag for that one'. Response? 'Are there any in the recycle box? If not I'll have to charge you.' 'Fair enough', I replied, 'Are you trying to cut down on the amount of plastic waste?' I was met with the sort of uncomprehending/slightly worried look which has been perfected by 19 year old shop assistants around the world. I duly found some suitable wrapping in the recycle box and as a bonus a leaflet about full page magnifiers for reading - something I had been looking for for school! So good for B&Q, but maybe they need to up the staff training!

ina

Well, it's a start...
I always found it quite amusing when they apologised over and over for not having a bag large enough for whatever I was buying - which was invariably sealed in plastic, and probably in a box on top of that, anyway! "Now are you sure you can manage like that...?"
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just got an email about plastic bags -

One town here in NZ, Collingwood, has become a plastic-bag-free-zone. All the residents were given calico bags, decorated by the local school kids, and all the local businesses have entered into the spirit of it and carry "loaner bags" that you can use then return if you forget your bag or need more carrying capacity. I don't live in this town myself but I thought it was such an inspirational story, that we have started a campaign amoung our friends and families, giving people homemade calico bags with original prints on them as christmas gifts.
I'm sure if you google "plastic bag free" Collingwood you can get a more comprehensive overview of how they have done this, granted it is a small town, but what a great initiative!
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

ina

Andy Hamilton wrote: giving people homemade calico bags with original prints on them as christmas gifts.
I think I know a few people who'd look for the present inside the bag, and chuck the bag out... I gave one as a birthday present not so long ago, with a jar of jam in it as well, and was asked if I wanted the bag back. :shock:

Maybe we should embroider the bags with "this bag is for keeps"?
Ina

Shirley

Hi Ina

Yeah that would definitely be a good idea - instructions PLEASE REUSE THIS BAG lol
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Shelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Calico bags have turned into a marketing ploy here ... good or bad it is getting more people to use them ... my work has just given us a heap with their logo on them to give away to customers.

Sometimes i feel like a walking billboard ... but hey :roll:

Shirley

Andy Hamilton wrote: I'm sure if you google "plastic bag free" Collingwood you can get a more comprehensive overview of how they have done this, granted it is a small town, but what a great initiative![/i]
A fantastic initiative - you can read all about it here
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

hedgewizard

Why on earth allow the govt to take yet more tax with tax freedom day being so late anyway? Go for a ban!

This thread has been a bit of an eye-opener. I've got strong reusable bags but not enough of 'em, and previously felt OK about recycling the disposable ones I use. No more. I want a handful of cloth bags 'cos they're fine enough to stuff in a coat pocket.

There y'are Andy, another partial convert moved the rest of the way - well done. Does it look like the SS bags are a goer soon, or shall I go ahead and get some bags elsewhere?

ina

Why not make your own? If you have any old curtains, jeans, anything else made of reasonably strong material, they make nice colourful bags... And nobody else will have one like yours!
Ina

woolcraft
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Have just come across an unbleached cotton promotional bag which was sent to me some time ago by a company called Supreme Creations Ltd (tel: 0845 230 5996) who were offering to print up bags for people. Unfortunately I can't put my hands on the leaflet which must have arrived with it.

Doesn't getting ready to move house turn up some wonderful things - it's going to the supermarket with me now.

Sue

hedgewizard

Good idea Ina. I'll ask Toni very nicely... I can just hear her laughing now!