Homemade toothpaste

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
hippy chick
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Homemade toothpaste

It was so cold lastnight that I snuggled down under the duvet early with my copy of the ss-ish bible! I had obviously missed the bit before about toothpaste and now I know why I get so many mouth ulcers!!! I approached the tube of commercial shop bought toothpaste with much caution this morning and am resolute on making my own 'homemade' version! I've come accross a recipe which involves mixing Bicarbonate of soda, salt, glycerin and peppermint oil into a paste, which can be stored in a tub and used the same as toothpaste. I just wondered, had anyone else experimented with making their own toothpaste and if so what were the results like? :lol:
Trying desperately to be an eco-warrior!!

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Homemade toothpaste

I use baking soda, plain and simple.

I don't like toothpaste because of the glycerin.

I've tried salt, and a mixture of salt and baking soda.

Baking soda by itself is my everyday tooth powder.

Once in a while I'll add a drop of essential oil to my toothbrush, but not often.

If you get those mouth ulcers again, you can gargle with hydrogen peroxide.

eccentric_emma
A selfsufficientish Regular

We had several threads about this a while back - Clara recommended against using peppermint oil as it can actually cause cavities apparently.

Anyway, on that note I adapted a recipe I got from a book and have used it for months now. Its 2 tablespoons of bicarb, half a teaspoon of finely ground sea salt, quarter of a teaspoon of ground ginger and three drops of peppermint oil (i changed this for peppermint essence, but its really just for flavour and freshness, i would feel quite comfortable leaving it out but OH still wants a minty flavour in the mornings!)

To use, just dab a damp toothbrush in and brush as normal. Takes a little while to get used to because theres no foaming, and its easy to use too much (so remember less is more), its also an unusual flavour! But I have had one ulcer in the past few months and I used to suffer very badly around winter time so its a definite improvement for me.
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

Ellendra

For a while I used baking soda with a drop of lemon juice, it got my teeth very clean, and lightened the stains too. I got out of the habit because I kept forgetting to grab the stuff from the kitchen every morning. Maybe after my house is built I'll be able to keep it all in the bathroom.

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

I keep a little custard dish full of baking soda on the counter in the bathroom. I just dip my brush in. (Or scoop out a bit for a bath.)

When I travel, I use a small container with a screw-on lid.

Rosendula

I used to use some that I made with bicarb and some herb. Can't remember which herb though :scratch: I have to admit it tasted pretty awful at first. It takes a while to get used to the different flavour and texture, but I did in the end. I didn't inflict it on my family though - they'll try a lot of stuff, but didn't fancy the homemade toothpaste.

I stopped because I ran out and never go round to making another batch, but I've been thinking about it recently. I might make some this afternoon. I'll see if I can find the recipe that I used.

Thanks for reminding me :cheers:
Rosey xx

Greenbeast

I make my own bar soap and from that i make liquid soap and thats what i use for toothpaste.
I've made a special small batch up thats a bit more like jelly than liquid.

It works well, i first tried lemon essential oil (i was making liquid hand soap at the time), which was alright. But just this weekend i've used peppermint oil instead, so now it is minty fresh (to convince my OH, although its not strong enough flavour for her apparently)

I didn't know about issue with peppermint, i'll look into that now...

And no, it doesn't taste like soap, well not to me after 3 weeks of use anyway

southeast-isher

LBR wrote:I keep a little custard dish full of baking soda on the counter in the bathroom. I just dip my brush in. (Or scoop out a bit for a bath.)

When I travel, I use a small container with a screw-on lid.
Thanks, that's a good tip - i think i will do that next time. I just bought some Tom's herbal toothpaste (fennel, propolis, and myrrh) from Sainsbnrys. It's lovely stuff but cost me three pounds roughly :-s

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I saw someone on etsy selling toothpaste soap (like a bar of soap, but designed to be used as toothpaste), and i was going to make my own, but i couldn't find a recipe.

I'm going to have to find out what bicarb is in Chinese i think...

JillStephens7
Living the good life
Living the good life

Do you remember that solid toothpaste power in a tin? I wonder what that was made of? Can't remember what it was called.

Can't quite remember but I think Tom's got bought out by someone huge a few years ago? Colgate maybe? Lovely stuff though.

:pirate:

tinacarolan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 23.0
longitude: 23.o

Re: Homemade toothpaste white teeth

does anyone know of a natural whitener for your teeth
hope someone does ,many thanks

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

We've made our own toothpaste for years now: vegetable glycerin (to bind everything) mixed with bicarb and a little salt. Add a few drops of organic peppermint oil for zing.

A whitener? You could try rubbing vinegar on your teeth everyday: but rinse it off once you've had a good rub. It's an acid after all.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

RuthG
Living the good life
Living the good life

JillStephens7 wrote:Do you remember that solid toothpaste power in a tin? I wonder what that was made of? Can't remember what it was called.

:pirate:
Eucryl by any chance? Stiff and pink and recommended for smokers.