Don't buy anything new in 2009!

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Don't buy anything new in 2009!

I am prepared to give this a go! already fairly good with using other peoples un wanted items found in charity shops etc but sure I can do better!
After all one person's trash is anothers treasure! :lol:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have been talking this one over with Mrs Wombat and it is difficult for us at this point, we are kind of setting up for the wage restriction when I finally get out of my current job. Hence we are making a number of large purchases such as the grid connected solar system due in early march and replacing the guttering to protect our investment in the house. Eventually yes, but sadly not in 2009. :cry:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Failed this week on bedding for the daughter - see the thread on lack of stock in charity shops.

I'm going to have to restart this aren't I? As well as having a rethink about my shopping habits.

Flo

Cough splutter. OK so I bought a selection of cake tins. Enables this poor vegan (! :mrgreen: :wink: ) to have cakes sometimes. Keeps her out of the shops and supermarkets and makes her that bit more self sufficient.

But I bought something new. Surprisingly that and the daughter's bedding is all the shopping that I have done aside from food requirements this year - haven't bought from charity shops either.

I just wish I knew where the tins that I did have about four house moves ago have disappeared to ....

invisiblepiper

I need socks! :(
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

Flo

New yard broom for cleaning up front yard - I challenge anyone to tell me where to get a usable stiff yard broom second hand. :mrgreen:

Also new and very expensive clock for the daughter's new kitchen but special case as she knew which clock she wanted and the family won't be getting anything else till Christmas 2010.

May well have to chip towards for a new kitchen for myself as the landlord seems to think that there are more important places with worse kitchens that need replacing first. Ah the pleasures of social housing.

Islaskye
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

dont know how far I can commit to this but will definatley give it a go!!
I have already made a commitment to only buy whoops! / yellow dicounted labled food at the supermarket.....the stuff that is bashed / reaching sell by dates / veg deemed too ugly for sale and have set a £3 budget for what ever I cant get on whoopsies (ie milk, the occasional bar of chocolate!!!!)
a lot of stuff the supermarkets reduce can be frozen or made into soups or sauces.