Is it possible to get rid of Celandines

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Is it possible to get rid of Celandines

how do you get rid of these from your veg plot?

MuddyWitch
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Re: Is it possible to get rid of Celandines

are they really celendines or creeping buttercup?

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

They are celandines, evil little so and so's.I have creeping buttercup too but in a bit of shrub border where it isnt too bad.Trouble with celandines is that they are also in a bit of lawn I fancy digging up to create extra growing space.Today I spent a bit of time carefully weeding them out round the rhubarb and in a space Id like to grow salads soon.I got no chance of getting rid of them out of all the garden plus they are welcome in the habitat bits anyway but do they spread by seed?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

tiggy wrote:they are welcome in the habitat bits anyway but do they spread by seed?
They do of course spread by seed but that's not the problem when you are trying to get rid of them.
The celandine is notoriously difficult to clear as they have small tubers attached to the roots, break one off or leave it in the soil and it will grow into a new plant. :flower:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

How about glyphosate? to clear the area I would like to turn from a lawn into veg space.I would have just had a serious digging session but cant risk spreading celandines with the turf after it has rotted to compost.Pilewort,their common name is just about right ,they are a pain in the bum :roll:

Millymollymandy

You can eat the leaves of course in a salad - so long as you are talking about the low growing celandines and not the greater celandine (over a foot tall) which is not edible!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Enormous Sage
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I found an article on ways of getting rid of them on the RHS website, if that's any help (I must admit I didn't even know what they were and had to look it up! :oops: ) :

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0405/celandine.asp

tiggy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for the info,I think I will be treating the celandine areas with roundup and repeating later as suggested before digging it all over April/May.Im planning on putting the tender stuff in this new west facing bed.There will still be plenty of the little yellow horrors in the habitat bits of the garden where they have to compete with a lot of other thuggy foliage.

Millymollymandy

I have them in the wild bits of my garden growing in the grass so I welcome them there, but come to think of it they are the ONLY weed I don't have in my veg patch!!! :shock:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

The info on this site never fails to amaze me. A few days ago I noticed that something was running rampage in the corner of the garden where it's really damp and i've planted alder, irises, hostas, purple loosestrife etc.
I was hoping it wasn't something going to give me grief in an area I thought I'd vaguely sorted (ie done enough to leave it to get on with it)
I've been meaning to look the cheeky wee monkey up but this thread has saved me doing that - i've been invaded by celandine - which is great news cos in that part of the garden it's v welcome!!!

sorry to hear you've got it in the veggie plot tiggy - if its any consolation I've got creeping buttercup in mine, lol