New person and new group in Leicestershire!

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
ChukkieLou
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Well our first meeting on Monday was a big success with 19 people coming along from all over Leicestershire.
After a welcoming introduction from myself with an outline of what the group is all about, we tucked into samples of goodies that people brought along- spiced blackberry jam, pickles, sausages and cakes- yummy.......
This was great for getting eveyone to mingle and chat. A small raffle was held with prizes of homemade cakes and bread, organic teas, plants etc. I was supposed to take 1/2 dozen of my eggs for the raffle but in all the excitement I managed to leave them on the kitchen table!
I think the last couple left at about 10.30pm and I got home at 11.45pm and went straight to bed- couldn't sleep though as too 'high' on our successful evening.
We had lots of positive feedback and some interesting ideas for our future meetings and we are looking into trading skills between those who attend. Keep an eye on our progress through www.theleicestershiregoodlifegroup.co.uk where you can register your email for a regular monthly newsletter.
I would recommend any one to start such a group in their area as it is very rewarding-hard work, yes, but well worth it.
Jayne

hedgewizard
A selfsufficientish Regular

Many congrats! :cheers: How did you find your starting membership?

ChukkieLou
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Firstly we put out posters and flyers in local farm/organic/health food shops asking people who were interested to contact us. This was to guage how much interest there was going to be. When we realised it would be popular we set up a venue and first meeting date. We then re did the posters with these details on, contacted local press/magazines/forums etc. and off we went......

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Chukkie - good ideas! Sounds like a good approach!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

glenniedragon

trading skills

Great to hear about the sucess of your group, fantastic! I wondered if you had a LETS (Local Economic Trading Scheme) group in your area, or you could start one with your group. LETS is a way of trading skill/services/produce with others. Basically you trade favours for either sterling or for a local unit (ours is the Tone, each area has their own name for it), here's how it works....
I want my lawn cut
You wil cut my lawn for 5 Tones
I give you a cheque for 5 Tones (from LETS cheque book)
You pay Cheque into the Bank
You can use the Tones with other people (not necessarily me)
another way is.....
I want some home baking done
You will do my baking for the cost of the ingredients+5 Tones an hour
You take 2 hours to bake some cakes
I give you a cheque for 10 Tones and £'s in cash for the cost of ingredients
By using an 'imaginary' unit favours are standardised, in my LETS group we also have a local produce Market every 3rd Saturday where people can buy things in both Tones and Cash. Tones are emempt from Tax! and so are good for people on Benefits and the like as they don't have to be declared.

Kind thoughts
Deb

ChukkieLou
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks deb
I shall certainly look into that as it sounds a great idea. I have heard before about similar schemes and there was talk at our meeting about us trading skills etc.
Jayne

Shirley

http://www.letslinkuk.net/

It is a great idea - I used to belong to one when we lived up here last time... I will have to check to see if there is one where we are now.

We also had a credit union that worked well.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

hedgewizard

I may soon leave our local LETS scheme because I can't justify the energy costs of driving to town (where most live) to trade. But also because -

1. The group trades on the basis that one mart = one pound, but labour is worth 5 marts an hour (or if professional at task, ten per hour)

2. The group gets very heavy on people doing crafts and massage etc, but very light on practical things like plumbing

3. The massage people charge 30 marts per hour and people still buy it - I refuse. Why is my gardening worth less than a back rub?

A shame, and I know it doesn't have to be like this but I don't have the time or energy to take over running the scheme. I'm going to argue the toss for change about the unrealistically low cost of labour at the AGM but I doubt they'll change it as this is a regionally agreed price (needed for parity with the regional CELT currency). Sigh.

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

In theory, I think LETS schemes are a Good Thing. In practice, I've never been quite convinced by them, I had a chance to look through the local directory a while back; lots of people offering ironing, pet walking, and things, but also 'Use of my wheelchair' sticks in my mind, as do a number of people offering their 'company'.

The trouble is, not many pubs accept LETS trading units in exchange for beer, and if I was a plumber earning plumber's rates, I don't think I'd be too concerned about the need to earn some LETS units.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

hedgewizard

That's about it. I'm forced to conclude that left to find their own level LETS schemes turn into a social activity for people who are semi-retired. I've heard of very active schemes that buck that trend, but they've all been very short-range - one neighbourhood or village. That seems to be how LETS works best.

glenniedragon

Sorry to hear you guys haven't had such luck with LETS, maybe our group is just a lucky mix- we do have hourly rates that are roughly minimum wage (5 Tones per hour) and that goes up if you are experienced or professional in your offered 'service'- not just for masseurs (sp?)

Muddypause-Pubs may not take LETS units, but I do for my homemade vin-sur-la-table! I've discovered a local beekeeper, so next year I'm having a go at Mead.

Kind thoughts
Deb

hedgewizard

Glennie where are you? Sunny SW england is a bit vague!

glenniedragon

I'm in a place called Wellington, the one with the famous Duke and a monument on the hill to him. Not a lot else we're famous for...oh there's the private school......and yes ...I think thats it.
We've got our AGM on Saturday so it'll be nice to catch up with everyone (and OH is off so he can be in charge of offspring for a couple of hours!)

kind thoughts
Deb

ina

Aren't you famous for the wellies, too - the ones I seem to spend half my life in? Or was that a different Wellington...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

Stew,Im assuming the "company" refers to befriending the elderly not "company" in the erm Biblical sense??? Why on earth would you charge for visiting someone? thats almost as immoral as the way my mind was working!
Now, what did I come in here for??????