Self build with a difference

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Kerlapin
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Self build with a difference

We are contemplating doing a self build, the difference is we already own the trees that I going to build our project with. We have a small forest that has many over mature Sitka spruce and pine trees, many have become unstable and in the recent storms have torn themselves out of the ground. I am considering using a Peterson swing blade portable sawmill to produce lumber to build a house with. We are considering a Swiss style triangular construction. Has any one had any experience with the Peterson machines or this type of construction. The basics are wooden raft floor suspended on Bigfoot type footings, then "A" frame type of construction clad with T&G or shiplap, probably have to use slate on roof sides to keep local planners happy. We would like a local stone built fireplace and chimney rising through centre of building. Will be putting a Bosky cooker on kitchen side of this and a log burner on other to wards living area.
Trying to keep use of cement and concrete to a minimum.
We are not a complete idiots, some parts are missing, but we are doing a self-sufficiency course to put this right!!!!

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Self build with a difference

You don't say where you are but have you come across Ben Law's woodland house? Sounds just like what you're hoping to do.

Good luck, look forward to seeing the pics!
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Kerlapin
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Clara wrote:You don't say where you are but have you come across Ben Law's woodland house? Sounds just like what you're hoping to do.
Hi!
Love Ben Laws house but no sorry, Ben builds in round wood and is very non techno, ours will be built from sawn wood with a bit more technology built in, my trees to large for Bens type of construction.
Thanks for reply and good luck with your baby.
We are not a complete idiots, some parts are missing, but we are doing a self-sufficiency course to put this right!!!!

Clara

Yours is going to be more techno? Now where did I put my glo sticks and white gloves :lol:

Do you mean in terms of the construction or the amenities available (i.e. power, water)
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

You need to be posting your question on this forum. http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/forum114/

Plenty proper green builders, architects and tradesman here.
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery