Got an allotment!!

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Got an allotment!!

I was going to share half a half allotment with a friend this year, but I have been left a message on my phone that there is a whole one with my name on it at the allotment!!

Not sure if it is a whole or a half plot, but I dont really care as it's all mine!! And just in time as I havent started my raised beds on the other plot yet or planted anything.

It took a year on the waiting list but its mine now - I am so excited!! *does a little dance on the spot*

Will post pictures when I have seen the plot
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Earth mama to two beautiful boys

pumpy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Got an allotment!!

Wow! Seems like you're in for a productive year, one way or the other!! Good luck.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

JulieSherris

So then - have you got your bed rotation plan sorted yet? Figured out where the shed's going?
That's what I was like when I heard about our allotment a few years back in Blackpool :mrgreen:

In a few hours, before I'd even been out to see the plot, I had mentally planned, planted, & harvested about 7 years of crops - Enjoy!!
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Linzi,

They say good things happen to good people...so enjoy!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks MW!

And I know just what you mean Julie, I couldnt sleep last night for thnking about what I am going to put on it and where the raised beds will go......my other half thinks I am mad to lose sleep over an allotment!

Now, just got to figure out if the baby bouncer I am selling on ebay to fund the allotment will make enough for me to buy a shed, put down some decking for the kids to play on, make a nice seating area, build raised beds, buy loads more seeds, buy some fruit bushes and trees, buy a few tonnes of compost.......!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cheers:
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Penny Lane

Woohoo!

It's so much fun planning isn't it?!

I've got pieces of scrap paper all of the place at the moment with drawings of different plot ideas and decking areas for my son. My OH is bored already of me talking about it so much!

Enjoy :flower:
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

Rosendula

JulieSherris wrote:So then - have you got your bed rotation plan sorted yet? Figured out where the shed's going?
That's what I was like when I heard about our allotment a few years back in Blackpool :mrgreen:

In a few hours, before I'd even been out to see the plot, I had mentally planned, planted, & harvested about 7 years of crops - Enjoy!!
Mentally planned, Julie? I had mine all plotted out on an Excel document. Still have. :lol:

Congratulations barefootlinzi :cheers: Have fun :sunny:
Rosey xx

barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have been to choose my allotment!!

They have opened up 20 new half plots and I was among the first group to choose so we had pick of the bunch! Mine is at the top of the slope (so no flooding), has a car park next to it, close to the water trough, and near a small tree that will provide some shade for the babies. It has all been newly rotavated and is good to go, but the ground is quite stoney but that doesnt matter as I am planning to put raised beds in.

Off to the local nursery tomorrow to get fruit bushes and seed potatoes!

Will post a piccy of plot 112A when I get back tomorrow, was too excited today and forgot!

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Linzi,

I'm sitting here with a big grin on my face I'm so infected by your delight! :lol: I'm truly pleased for you. :cheers:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

JulieSherris

Rotivated?? ROTIVATED??!!

How lucky are you!

Heehee, we keep saying it Linzi - enjoy! SO chuffed for you :mrgreen:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Lol Julie, very lucky but the council sprayed the grass with god knows what before to kill it then rotavated it :(

Some of it is very stoney, but no worries as that is where the seating area and compost bin is going :)

Tried to make pallets into raised beds, but they only just fit in the car and scratched the inside plastic which isnt good, plus they were nearly impossible to take apart!! So we bought gravel boards from B&Q and used those with good and speedy results. I remembered my camera, so here is plot 112A.....

So we have done 4 beds so far, 2 big 2 small. I have planted 4 raspberry and 2 gooseberry bushes at the top left of the plot but not staked them yet as ran out of timber. Another plot holder kindly donated a rhubarb so I planted that too. At the top right will be the compost bin and decking/seating, as it is under the tree so will have some shade in summer for the little ones. There is a field and houses behind the fence but they are soon going to be planting a hedge for a windbreak, privacy, deter intruders and attract wildlife.

Gotta get some compost and fill up the beds!

We got much more done today than we thought. We were really getting into it!

Flo

Ooooooh fun and nobody else has been there to leave you rubbish and weeds. Such fun when you don't have to cure the plot of problems before starting. :mrgreen:

gunners71uk

well thats brilliant i am so please happy gardening !