Soda Crystals

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
Eigon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Soda Crystals

I had a bunged up sink the other day, so reluctantly I went in search of something strong and chemical to clear it. I really have no idea what usually sits on the shelves of cleaning chemicals in the local shops, as I hardly ever touch them, but this was an emergency.
When I asked for help, the lady behind the counter recommended soda crystals. Obviously strong stuff (and certainly got rid of all manner of disgusting gunk that had been building up in my U-bend), but they are also biodegradable, use no petrochemicals, and are suitable for use in septic tanks, according to the packet. And only 99p. So I was quite impressed.
"The best way to get real enjoyment out of the garden isto put on a wide straw hat, hold a little trowel in one hand and a cool drink in the other, and tell the man where to dig."
Charles Barr

becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Soda Crystals

Use it in the washing too for "whiter than whites" ,oh and cleaning the sink, all round good cleaner
comes in 1kg packet for 89p
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Just be wary of using them too regularly. Something burned a hole through my waste pipes. The only thing I ever put down them was soda crystals.

Maybe a chemist can help here. Could the soda crystals have done the deed on my plastic waste pipes?

Zoe

becks77

Hi Thomzo,
Just asked our resident chem teacher and he says soda crystals ahould not have any effect on plastic waste pipes. Hth
:flower:
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Soda is also very useful in getting gunk off of ovens, cooking pots, baking trays etc, although DON'T use on aluminium as it etches into the metal and leaves the surface black.
Other than that, a good all round old fashioned cleaner.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Moonwaves
Tom Good
Tom Good

Presumably you're talking about washing soda (Na2C03) and not bicarbonate of soda (NaHC03)? Can washing soda be used on pots and pans?
livingthesimplelifeiwant.blogspot.com

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moonwaves wrote:Can washing soda be used on pots and pans?
Sure can, and does a good job on burnt on food if soaked for a while, just don't do aluminium pans though.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Ellendra

Bicarb does a good job with burnt-on food too. Just mix it with enough water to form a thick paste, spread it on and let soak for a while, the burned stuff practically rinses off.

Eigon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Before I got the soda crystals, I used bicarb and warm vinegar to see if that would clear the pipes out. Didn't have too much effect, but it was fun pouring it down and seeing it all fizz up again!
"The best way to get real enjoyment out of the garden isto put on a wide straw hat, hold a little trowel in one hand and a cool drink in the other, and tell the man where to dig."
Charles Barr