looking for a beetroot and apple soup recipe ??

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
newbiemum05
Tom Good
Tom Good

looking for a beetroot and apple soup recipe ??

Am looking for a recipe for beetroot and apple soup - someone made it for me ages ago and it was delicious !!

any ideas ?
~I came, I picked, I preserved~

~If I always try harder than yesterday to make a difference in the world, one day I might just make it~

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Now this is one I haven't tried... we've done beetroot rosti, beetroot curry and even beetroot and chocolate cake..... this is next on my list so please please do let me know how it turns out.

Shirley xx

The flavour of fresh beetroot is deliciously refreshing and lifts this soup out of the ordinary. However, you can use an 810g can of sliced beetroot. Using a food processor to grate beetroot and chop apple and vegetables saves time. Serve this soup hot or chilled.

Contains approximately four portions
Preparation time is approximately 20 minutes

Ingredients
4 medium beetroot peeled and grated
1 cup shredded red cabbage
one medium onion - chopped
sprig finely chopped chives
Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and sliced
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons tomato puree
half cup white wine
4 cups natural low fat yoghurt

Method
Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and cook over a low heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beetroot, apple, cabbage, stock and tomato puree, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add wine. If serving hot, serve at once. If serving cold, allow to cool and then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
To serve, ladle soup into four bowls and top each with a good dollop of natural yoghurt or extra low fat sour cream. Swirl through with a fork and garnish with chives or parsley.

http://www.myvillage.com/pages/restaurants-beetroot.htm
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

newbiemum05
Tom Good
Tom Good

beetroot curry, beetroot rosti and beetroot and chocolate cake - sound fantastic !!

are the recipes around here somewhere ? would love to give them a try !

I LOVE BEETROOT !

thanks.
~I came, I picked, I preserved~

~If I always try harder than yesterday to make a difference in the world, one day I might just make it~

Wormella
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.8045
longitude: -2.1154

we get it with suche frequency in our veg box (as in just about every week) that we're getting very sick of it now.

Mind you we have apples and beetroot to use up so I'll give this one a go.

Wormella
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 52.8045
longitude: -2.1154

I tried this last night, added a leek to bulk it up a littlek, but it was really, really yummy!

It's been copied into our cookbook notebook - thanks for the recipe