Chicken out campaign

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Chicken out campaign

I'm sadly not a chicken owner, but having just learned a bit more about 'free range' eggs, which is going to be in inverted commas for me from now on unless I know for a fact the hens are free to wander, I have followed the link and emailed my MP. I'm pretty sure he won't do anything though. I've met the bloke and he's all nice and smiley and can-do when he's face-to-face with you, then you don't hear any more.
Rosey xx

privatehire
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

i did it,,,,then 4 days later got a letter for my local mp

lsm1066
Living the good life
Living the good life

I must say my old man was quite worried when a letter arrived for me from the house of commons, although in fairness, I had just started a job with the probation service :lol: He thought I'd done something terrible!

Shutsumon
Tom Good
Tom Good

I received a lovely letter from my MP today. Saying yes he signed it. He had a keen interest in animal welfare and enclosed a copy of several other edms relating to animal welfare which he'd signed.

Becky

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I got a letter saying that my MP has a policy of not signing EDMs - with so many people unable or unwilling to sign these, how do they ever get to the next stage?
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

dave45

how is this writing to your MP stuff supposed to work then?

many years ago I wrote to mine. She responded along the lines of "thanks for your letter, I don't agree, get lost, oik!"

I've never bothered since.

Will they ever raise an issue that they or their party don't agree with?

Rosendula

Just received a letter from Alan Johnson enclosing a copy of a letter he received from the Secretary of State at DEFRA. I'll quote a bit
In England we have just come to the end of a 12 week public consultation on Council Directive 2007/43 which sets down minimum welfare rules for meat chickens excluding flocks with less than 500 birds, hatcheries, breeding chickens and extensive indoor, free-range, and organic meat chicken. We will carefully consider responses received.

The Directive contains a provision for the labelling of poultrymeat. The Commission will report by 1 December 2009 on the possible introduction of a specified harmonised mandatory labelling scheme for chicken meat, meat products and preparations based on compliance with animal welfare standards. The report will consider the possible implications for the community's economic partners and the compliance of such a labelling scheme with World Trade Oranisations rules. The Commission's Community Action Plan on the Protection and Welfare of Animals 2006-2010 also envisages an EU wide welfare labelling scheme which aims to promote EU products and recognises those producers who adopt higher welfare standards.

In the meantime, the EU Poultrymeat Marketing Standards Regulation specifies the criteria which must be met before claims about certain types of farming can be made such as free-range, extensive indoor etc.
I think I've copy typed it right. I'm in a rush so I'll check it later :wink:
Rosey xx

Rosendula

Chicken Out! is delighted that a parliamentary motion has achieved a record number of MPs publicly showing support for higher welfare standards for chickens. With over 167,000 people now signed up to the Chicken Out! campaign and this unprecedented level of parliamentary support for animal welfare, it clearly shows that the welfare of chickens is being taken seriously.

Thank you to everyone who contacted their MP – together we are making a difference to the lives of millions of chickens.
http://www.ciwf.org.uk/news/meat_chicke ... top_5.aspx

:iconbiggrin:
Rosey xx

hedgewitch

AWESOME!
The Lisbon treaty will ensure changes are made in the way animals are bred for food all across Europe too.
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.