Tonsilitus - Can I demand my tonsils to be taken out?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
BabyChrissy1993
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Tonsilitus - Can I demand my tonsils to be taken out?

I get tonsiltus like monthly but only been to doctors once about it which was yesturday.
Later that day was layed in bed woke up coughed and had coughed a bit of my tonsil out.
Now I have a hole in my tonsil.
Pharmacy told me to go to Hull Royal (hospital) so we did.
After a 2 hour wait I got seen by the doctor. She said it was normal even though the nurse who saw me before had never seen this before.
The doctor said I need to of been to my GP and been of school at least 4 times in the past 6 months to a year to get them taken out.
I don't go to a private hospital.

Does anyone know if I can demand them taken out because it is really painful? :(

becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Tonsilitus - Can I demand my tonsils to be taken out?

Not sure about the tonsils taken out bit, but you would be well within your rights to demand a swab taken so that a specific antibiotic can be given rather than a broad spectrum one, hopefully that would knock it on the head for good, Really hope you're feeling better soon
Becks
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

what did it look like?If it was white or yellow and very smelly then it was a tonsil stone, very normal but very gross, google it if you want to know more cause i dont want to explain here and put people off their food!
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Earth mama to two beautiful boys

Rosendula

For those who don't know, I'm Chrissie's mum.

I'm a bit squeamish with these things so left it to the doctors mostly, but after she coughed a bit out I had a quick look at her throat. It was white-ish around the big gap. She said it changes all the time, sometimes a "reddy, whitey, yellowy horrible colour". I haven't noticed a bad smell or anything.

She seemed so much worse earlier today so I took her in to the emergency doctor (they don't come out for home visits any more it seems). He had a look and made me look too, and he said it looks like there was an abscess that popped. It certainly looks like that now. Chrissie's just told me, though, that the doctor at the hospital said she was checking for abscesses and there weren't any (guess who was out topping up the parking meter at that point :roll: ). When I got there the doctor told me it looked like a something (crest, or cusp or something??) that's popped, but she definitely didn't say abscess.

She's managed to take her antibiotics and paracetamol now, so hopefully she might feel a bit better tomorrow. TBH when Chrissie's poorly she normally sleeps herself better (we tell her she was a cat in a former life), but her BF came round to see if she was OK and wouldn't let her sleep yesterday. She told him to stay away today.

Good to report that as I type this she's managing to eat something - our normal food that we have when we're ill - pancakes with honey on. I knew she couldn't resist the smell :wink:
Rosey xx

JulieSherris

Hey Chrissie & Rosey - the best thing for you to do - altho it's a right royal pain, is to visit the doc EVERY time you have a bout of tonsilitis.... and ask for the op each time you go... yes, it might be a waiting game, but you'll get there in the end!!

My youngest had a tonsil stone - yeah, really gross, but hers came out when she coughed one day... she did freak out, as I recall! :mrgreen:
But yes, unless you've seen one before it does actually look like an abscess!
I had mine out when I was 13 - was missing too much school - thing is, if the doc hasn't got it logged on his books, he won't know how it's affecting you......

But good luck - and when you DO have them out, you can look forward to a couple of days of jelly eating :wink:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

BabyChrissy1993

I have just looked at some pictures of tonsil stones. It deffo was not one of them to let you know. It didn't look anything like one of those.
It just looked like a big chunk of flem to be honest. But I felt it come of my tonsil and when I looked it had. :(

barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

oh you poor thing, you must be feeling really rough, hope the anti biotics and pain killers makeyou feel better soon. I quite fancy some of your 'poorly food' - pancakes and honey yummy :)
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Earth mama to two beautiful boys

Rosendula

Just a quick update: Chrissie is looking a lot better. She's even washed her hair! :shock: :lol: She sounds a lot better, too and has little Katie perched on her knee as they play computer games together on the laptop. I think she's on the road to recovery now. She does seem to get it quite a lot these days, but had always complained that her glands were swollen, so I didn't think about her tonsils. Quite often she was better and back at school after only one or two days off, so I'd just thought "next time it's doctor's". Well this was the next time and it turns out it was tonsilitis. If it does continue to happen, she will be going back every time. This time it was a little too scarey. :shock:
Rosey xx

BabyChrissy1993

Rosendula wrote:She's even washed her hair! :shock: :
haha thanks mum.