Glass in food

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glass in food

I found a piece of glass in A$da bacon, I swallowed a tiny bit :pale: I tried to cough it up, then swallowed lots of spoonfuls of honey to ease its passage through my system :pale: :pale: :pale:

and I have selotaped the rest to a bit of paper.

I have just emailed them about it.... any thoughts as to what else I should do? ... apart from not by a$da stuff anymore :pukeright:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

flyonthewall
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Glass in food

Do they have a customer careline? Ugh, glass in bacon!
allotment digging, fresh air loving Yorkshire lass

StripyPixieSocks
A selfsufficientish Regular

Give them hell, please keep an eye on yourself though glass in the digestive system can be very scary :(

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

StripyPixieSocks wrote:Give them hell, please keep an eye on yourself though glass in the digestive system can be very scary :(
Yeah, thanks for that :roll: :lol: I am scaring myself and OH senseless just thinking about it... it was a tiny bit (I think... though, if I had seen I wouldn't have swallowed it) probably a single cubic mm.. I am thinking people pass much worse things than that :pale:

Don't really know how to 'give them hell' I mean, I'm not really looking for a court battle or anything.... though I am pretty sure I can get Max Clifford's phone number pretty easily :geek: :geek: :geek:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Urban Ayisha
Living the good life
Living the good life

i would take it into the store you bought it from and ask to speak to the manager in person, perhaps he could offer you some vouchers or something in the way of compensation? and keep at the customer services too!

red

what do you want to achieve? if you want to throw the book at them - go to environmental health / the papers etc

if you want compensation, contact them direct. do not give up your sample
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know what I want to achieve... It'll be a while before I eat bacon again :roll: :cry:

I'd like not to have found a piece of glass in my mouth while eating my food. I don't realy want to go through months of letters or what have you... but it was really very unpleasant. And just when OH was starting to relax again he is away to work worrying about me pooping glass :cry:

E was eating the same food... I don't even want to imagine what might have happened :cry:

I'll see what I get back from the customer service dept.

Reason not to shop in supermarkets #105 :banghead:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

What you really must do Ann is by all means go back to the shop where you bought the bacon, but also get in touch with their head office.
That way they can recall all that batch from the shelves as soon as possible so that others are spared what you are going through now.
Who knows, your pack might be insignificant compared to other packs still lurking on shelves.
Good luck.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

JulieSherris

Ann... OK, I know this is going to sound REALLY stupid.... have you any idea what type of glass it is??
Does it look like it's from a light fitting?

I was yakking to hubby about it this morning - I've been pondering HOW glass gets into bacon during the manufacturing process.... and I failed :?
Hubby says the only way is for the factory to be negligent on the light fittings... you know, a bulb's blown & it's not in a sealed unit - which it should be...

The only OTHER way for it to get there, is if it was PUT there - Andy says, maybe a disgruntled worker....
A lot of food manufacture lines have metal detectors, to catch screws, bolts, etc, but that wouldn't detect glass....and they also have visual inspections for vermin & anything else, but they might not spot clear glass....

Sounds wonderful, don't it?

So, I would defintely keep on this - it's unlikely that you have the ONLY instance of this as Tony says..... again, as Red also says, do NOT relinquish your evidence. I would also contact Trading Standards today & let them know as well - they may have had calls about this as well & it might be that it's something that needs to be followed up.

Years back, Andy worked at a sweetie place in Blackpool & glass was put into the toffee at some stage - the guy was working his notice & wasn't happy - got him a 2 year stretch in prison & serves him right, I say. Luckily (?) it was spotted by a worker who 'tested' a toffee as it was being packed..... and the police were called in before the product was shipped.

Keep us posted, but as you say, yet ANOTHER reason for us to supply our own food, huh?
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

thesunflowergal

Ann,
just wanted to give you a :hugish: and to say I hope your ok. Thank goodness that it was not your lo.
About five years ago I was out with hubby, and I had a burger in a restaurant. The burger had a piece of road grit in it, which I bit on and broke my tooth. We complained etc, but allowed the manager to take away the stone. I then ended up dealing with the head office, who give me £30 in vouchers :(

Take care xx
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

invisiblepiper

Give your surgery a wee call to ask for their advice on the swallowed bit. Just a precaution.
Kepp your evidence and contact head office.
I found a human tooth in carrot cake - and the company practically accused me of putting it there in order to make a claim!
Haven't eaten that brand again - ever! :hugish:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

flyonthewall
Tom Good
Tom Good

OH broke one of his teeth on a piece of plastic in a burger from a well known chain when he was younger, they paid the costs to get his tooth fixed privately and also paid the loss of earnings as he was a contractor at the time and didn't get paid for taking the day off to go get it done.

Hope you're OK today annpan?
allotment digging, fresh air loving Yorkshire lass

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm fine and I'd imagine the bit I think I swallowed is gone now.

Still not heard anything back from them and I will have to raid the bin later to find the empty packet. We don't go to supermarkets very often and when we do we buy things for the freezer. Chances are that packet was in there for over a month.

I will hold onto my sample.

It doesn't look like glass from a light fitting but it is a very thin slice, about 2cm (in total) long by 1mm wide at the widest part going down to a fine and flexible tip... we have looked at it so much because it doesn't quite look like glass, but it is, you can tell when you drop the larger piece onto the plate... it seems clear that it has been through a mechanical slicer as nothing else would slice it so finely.
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Milims

We had lots of foreign objects in food complaints when I worked for Env Health - I'd totally advise you to involve them. They are the ones that will do all the paperwork and chasing.
If it was a broken light fitting the entire line should have been cleared!
Glad to hear you are feeling better tho :hugish:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can anyone help me find the right links for reporting it via environmental health or the food standards agency... I don't seem to be having much luck.

A$da still haven't got back to me... doesn't say much for them does it :roll:

I dug the packet out of the bin and the BB was the 3rd May. I doubt they would recall something now but it should be registered somewhere and yes a little compensation wouldn't hurt.
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay