Jump off the consumer bandwagon totally in 2009

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Jump off the consumer bandwagon totally in 2009

bodrighy wrote:
Green Aura wrote:Nah, you don't really - that's just brainwashing by the admen! :lol:
Got to be if he wants a BMW. What other reason is there for having one? Much rather have a series 2 Landrover (and an Austin healey Sprite for weekends)

Pete

Totally out of the question Pete. You need my Mkii 2.4 jaguar...... stripped down ready for restoration only £600
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Flo

The realms of fantasy seem to be finding things to buy in the local charity shops here. Serious scarcity of goods. I've just realised how little I need to buy as a result.

Flo

Essential cooking utensils not available second hand even if it seems I have scrounged a bread maker off freecycle.

Having lost the baking tins in the many moves over the past 15 years, it's become time to restock and cook at home all the time. Bread, cakes, puddings, scones and all sorts of other good things.

Flo

You've just shown that it takes a village to be self sufficient Davy. You need a whole group of skills that no one person will ever really own. That's why villages came about.

Flo

Davy stephenson wrote:...... take the story I told you about the Reebock training shoes,

Per pair to the company 1.58 per pair - to the customer 99.99, this is daylight robbery at any level and will last a few months at best, A pair of hand made shoes 300-400 quid and will last ten years at least.
Davy some of us are improvident in that we only provided for ourselves badly in having to live on the state pension. Even allowing for shoes that will last 10 years, I'm not sure that I could find that money or that I will now live that long or be fit enough to use them for that long.

It's a difficult balance between good and evil.

flyonthewall
Tom Good
Tom Good

Interesting what you say about the older generation Davy, I find myself ringing my Nana several times a week these days! She has a wealth of great advice and tips. I only wish my Grandad had been around longer for me to now benefit from his advice instead of dismissing it as I did when younger.

We too have lived the consumer life and grown tired and jaded, left with debt. Mine is now cleared off but OH's isn't.

Need versus want is a tough thing, we have been brought up with the idea that want is as important if not more so than need, and the lines between the two are now so blurred for the younger generation they can barely distinguish.
allotment digging, fresh air loving Yorkshire lass

Flo

Every time that there is some disaster like the credit crunch or 9/11 in America we are told that it's our patriotic duty to get out there and go shopping to save the national economy.

Well excuse me but it's not our patriotic duty to do anything of the sort. And it never has been. But it seems that for two generations everyone from top to bottom of society has thought this way.

And all that is has achieved is two generations of people who don't know what to do when times get hard. Not a very successful way of running a country I would say.

Trouble is that a lot of other countries now want to buy into the same model that is now failing us in such a spectacular fashion.

Gray
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I love the debate here and wanted to add that if you get the chance read 'Enough' by John Naish published 2008. It has been one my most inspiring reads for a long while.
It has allowed me to realise that I'm a practicing 'Enoughist' probably always have been (of course, as well as an isher !). It also gives you the material to address people who poo poo any alternative ways of thinking.
They are three kinds of people in this world - 'the have's', 'the have not's' and the 'they have not paid for what they bloody have' - Gene Hunt