Sick of Junk Mail Cluttering Up Your Mail Box

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Davy stephenson

Sick of Junk Mail Cluttering Up Your Mail Box

Removed by author
Last edited by Davy stephenson on Tue May 26, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Sick of Junk Mail Cluttering Up Your Mail Box

.... and make sure you've signed up to the mail / phone / fax preference service :sunny:

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

If they have a freepost address for return mail (some credit card companies do) I have always loved the thought of putting a brick in a jiffy bag and sending it too them.

But every time I think I have the guts to do it I only get charity freepost envelopes through.... and I am obviously not evil.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

eccles
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Well i have decided today to save all my junk mail cardboard and paper rubbish and make my own paper bricks for my garden chimeneys i will need a log maker off ebay and im not sure if all paper/card will be suitable but hey i will give it a go.

MuddyWitch
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

By all means 'return to sender-unsolicited mail' but don't send them bricks! It's not that I feel sorry for the junk-mailers, but think of the petrol/diesel that would be used to transport the brick!

Instead put the gas junk in an electric junk mailer's envelope etc. Or just send them all back empty!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Flo

Remember that the postie gets paid for delivering some junk mail - you know how much of it now comes addressed just "to the householder" or "to the home owner". Or are just plain flyers.

The posties laugh at me because if I'm in I try to get across the yard to the recycling bin before they are at the next house - it's a sport. They're paid and I've recycled it.

But yes - registration with the mail preference service is good.

I suspect that the present economic climate will do a fair amount to get rid of the plague of junk mail as advertising is well down. I've noticed that the van which brings a team of lads to deliver flyers down streets around town is suddenly not very visible. I live in hope that advertising literature is a plague which will die or stay out of fashion as other ways become more effective for the reduced budget.

eccentric_emma

Flo wrote: I suspect that the present economic climate will do a fair amount to get rid of the plague of junk mail as advertising is well down. I've noticed that the van which brings a team of lads to deliver flyers down streets around town is suddenly not very visible. I live in hope that advertising literature is a plague which will die or stay out of fashion as other ways become more effective for the reduced budget.
I'm not sure about this, as in my case junk mail/flyers/takeaway menus seem to have gone UP. Presumably because they are trying to get me to spend money. Unfortunately as I have none, their postage has been wasted!
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

Rosendula

Annpan wrote: I have always loved the thought of putting a brick in a jiffy bag and sending it too them.
:shock: Oo, the poor postie.
Rosey xx

gogreentips
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Davy stephenson wrote:Here's what you can do, if you never asked for that mail to be sent, do not open it, if it has a return address on the back of the envelope, cross out your address, pop it back into a mail box and it goes back to the sender,
If there is no return address on the back of the letter, carefully open the letter from the bottom, find their address, write it on the front cross out your address and send it back and they will get the bill for postage, and won't send you any more junk.
Hi Davy,

Those are great suggestions and I remember reading something similar a little while ago. You just helped me to take action because I'm sick of all the junk I receive each week. It drives me nuts. So returned they will be. Let's see what happens. :wink:

Monika

flyonthewall
Tom Good
Tom Good

It gets shredded and put on the compost!
allotment digging, fresh air loving Yorkshire lass

Silver Ether

The ones that annoy me are the raffle tickets from things like RSPB/ Woodland trust etc ... why do they think that as your a member that you can afford their books of raffle tickets and I for one wont ask others as many cant afford them and I have no wish to embaress friends ... so I just put them back into their envelopes and return them ... but I do put a stamp on hopeing they get the message and understand I am not mean ...
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.