W~HOO!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
StripyPixieSocks
A selfsufficientish Regular

W~HOO!

We just picked up one of those cast iron griddles that sits over two rings on your stove from Freecycle and are awaiting a lady to get back to us with her address so we can go pick up a meat mincer!

Brilliant... another step forward on our self sufficiency kick as we can now use the griddle for crumpets, muffins, pita bread and the likes of Flour Tortillas and the grinder to make our own minced meat. All we need now is a sausage maker and we will be making our own recipe sausages!

Until we get a sausage maker we can at least make our own mince, burgers and things like koftas and meatballs etc...

We're so happy right now it's silly... another baby step forward to full off the grid lifestyle :blob7: :dave:

invisiblepiper

Re: W~HOO!

What a lovely happy post! Great! :cheers:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

gigglybug

Green with envy!! :mrgreen: lol

Well done :cheers:
Amanda

Facebook group : http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=34623838139
If your near W-S-M please join!

StripyPixieSocks

It's a bit rusty at the moment and the woman said she'd put it in the dishwasher to try and get it clean which is a cast iron no-no but with a bit of a rub down and some good seasoning it will be absolutely amazing in no time at all!

I've always loved cast iron pans for making things like pancakes because my Nana had a 9" one with a 2' handle on it and I learned to make pancakes using it... never made them as good since, modern day pans just do not cut it imho!

We're trialling Flour Tortillas in a few days for Fajitas so we're going to have it spic and span by then!

We're picking up the meat grinder tomorrow at some point as we have guests arriving at some point in the day.

I'm still excited... :mrgreen:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey SPS!

To turn the mincer into a sausage maker all you need is a sausage funnel that fits the mincer. It goes on the front and holds the casing. As you turn the mincer handle with the blades and screed removed it pushes the mince out into the casing, dragging the casing off the mincer as it fills. Maybe check with whoever retails new mincers in your area, you may be able to get one to fit.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Millymollymandy

Well done for getting those things! :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

eccentric_emma

Well done! I am looking forward to seeing the crumpet making tutorial.
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

StripyPixieSocks

Thanks Nev we have found them on e-bay so we're chuffed to bits now.

Went and picked it up today and she gave it to my OH telling us it had only been used once... apart from a bit of rush which will easily be dealt with it's brand spanking new!

It's a Porkert No5

The crumpet making tutorial will be up when I finally work out all the bumps and bugs in my new blog... it's a really cool layout but the guy who did the original code is a bit of a gimp and has fubar'd up the code so it's taking a long old time to rip it apart and re-do it!

We're turning into a complete hive of industry here with all the herb growing, sausage making, photo taking and video making on top of the everyday things and my jewellery making but damn it's good fun :mrgreen: