How can I clean dirty tips on a fleece

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
grannymags
Tom Good
Tom Good

How can I clean dirty tips on a fleece

Hi, I have just started spinning wool again after a 20 plus year break! My husband brought me a fleece (Scotch HalfBred) after the shearing but having sorted it and started to wash it I am finding that the tips are so very difficult to get clean.

I have tried teasing out the tips before washing, gently rubbing just the tips when in the soak, but when dry the tips are still very dirty and/or hard. All so very time consuming, not to mention all the water I am using with so many repeat washes (we have a water meter!). It actually handcards fairly well but I am worried I may do damage to my drum carder with any dirt and lanolin is still in the wool. I can't face hand carding the whole fleece! I am washing the fleece in small amounts with dishwashing liquid, washing soda and very hot water. That clears all the other lanolin and dirt beautifully. Its just the tips that are the problem.

I have another fleece from a Balwen sheep and really am aching to get that one sorted and washed, but I want to get this one finished first otherwise it may never get done!

Maggie x

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Re: How can I clean dirty tips on a fleece

Hi grannymags
I've had a couple of fleeces from Romney crosses living on the chalk downs and they can have concrete like tips even after washing. I try to seperate them as much as possible while they're still greasy before they go into the water and then used a dog brush of the sort that looks like a small hand card to brush out the tips before carding, sort of flick carding - nowhere near as strenuous as hand carding.
The concrete tips on mine sometimes broke off but that doesn't seem to hurt the end result
If you've used very hot water I'd think that the lanolin would be gone so shouldn't gum up your carder.
but I want to get this one finished first otherwise it may never get done!
:oops: i've got a few fleeces washed and stashed in old pillow cases - I've probably spun a little of each but none of them is finished :lol:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

grannymags
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hi Snapdragon,

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate your help.

It is a good idea of yours to brush out the tips before carding. It has helped and I have carded and spun a tiny amount on my spindle. I had to do it with the spindle as my wheel isn't up and running yet. Cant find the flyer!! I will have to buy a new one and then the original one will turn up!!

Anyway, I spun a little and it still seems very much 'in the grease' to me. I will wash it (the spun yarn that is!) and see what happens. It seems I will have to card it manually but I don't really mind as it is a lovely fleece. Spins very finely. I'm not fond of chunky yarn though it can look fantastic.

Now I have washed all the fleece (several times!) I will sort through and rewash the bits I feel need it. Then I will get on and sort the Balwen fleece which looks lovely and certainly not so greasy as this one.

By that time I should have my spinning wheel running like a dream and will be able to get on.

Have you been spinning long? What sort of yarn do you like to produce? Years ago I belonged to a small spinning group but I feel a bit alone here. We are on the outskirts of the city. Can't wait to move back to the country!! Not that I think we can in this economical climate :( Hubby wants to go back to Cornwall where he has farmed all his life.

Thanks again

Maggie x

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I've been spinning a year or two and only just aquired a wheel - still haven't got the hang of it :oops:
If you look in the crafts section you'll find more stuff about fleece and spinning, there are other members who know loads of stuff.
my yarn so far is 'as it comes' :lol: sort of four ply thickness although just two singles plied.
in looking for other spinners have you checked for a local weaving/spinning/dyeing Guild? Or the online guild? I did join a couple of yahoo groups, one UK based and one USA based, both have been quite helpful but I find yahoo groups can be a little tiring to wade through, and of course is nowhere near as helpful as real people face to face.
mmmmm Cornwall :flower: lovely county :mrgreen: best of luck
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6: