pests in my kitchen!! please help!!

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
cozzy1984
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

pests in my kitchen!! please help!!

my partner found these tiny pests which look like white tiny crumbs!! they wer all over my cupboard and they r also over my worktop. i have bleached the cupboard re - washed everythin in my cupboard and bleached my worktop and yet they r still appearin!!!

i just want to know if any1 has any idea on what they r and how i can rid of em!!!

plzz help
corrine

DeneciePie
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: pests in my kitchen!! please help!!

How tiny? Creeping , crawling or flying? Give us a better description and someone will surely recognize the little blighters.
I have had the odd (and icky) maggot influx when something forgotten went off in the cupboard. Flour weevils came home once in a muffin mix (really hard to eradicate) and we nearly always battle fruit fly in summer.
Insects are great at finding a little ecological niche and filling it. No matter how disgusting us homo sapiens find that when its the place we call home!

DeneciePie

eccentric_emma
A selfsufficientish Regular

I tend to find tea tree oil is great for repelling most pests and its antibacterial as well. Pop a few drops in a spray bottle with lots of water and spray and wipe over counter tops and hopefully they'll hate the smell so much they'll go away. You'll have to be persistent though.
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

cozzy1984
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

DeneciePie wrote:How tiny? Creeping , crawling or flying? Give us a better description and someone will surely recognize the little blighters.
I have had the odd (and icky) maggot influx when something forgotten went off in the cupboard. Flour weevils came home once in a muffin mix (really hard to eradicate) and we nearly always battle fruit fly in summer.
Insects are great at finding a little ecological niche and filling it. No matter how disgusting us homo sapiens find that when its the place we call home!

DeneciePie
they r crawlin!!! they r sooo tiny!!! u have 2 really look. but they r everywer. ive tried white vinegar, bleach and nothin has worked!!!

Rosendula

I know you say they're tiny, but is it possible to get a photo? Even if it just looks like little specks, the size and shape of the beasts might help someone identify them. It sounds to me like you need to work out the source of the problem so that you can treat the cause rather than the symptoms so to speak. If someone can identify them, they may also have a clue as to where they are coming from.
Rosey xx

Cloud
Living the good life
Living the good life

cozzy1984 wrote:they r crawlin!!! they r sooo tiny!!! u have 2 really look. but they r everywer. ive tried white vinegar, bleach and nothin has worked!!!
Sound like mites. They can infest kitchens.

Try googling "white mite kitchen" that brings up a fair few people with similar problems. I'm not an expert. We had ants once. Devil of a job to get rid of them. But mites sound worse.

Edit: Found a link: http://www.pestuk.com/mites-control.htm

Is that what the look like?
Image Image
Augustus and Hattie

Milims

If you found them in the cupboard where you store your dried goods, such as flour etc, it's possible that they are psosids of book lice. They eat their way into your packets thru the glue so the can appear in un-opened packets of food. They usually come into your kitchen with the food as when food is stored in the warehouses bats poop on it and that's where to psosids come from
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

cozzy1984
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

up to now i think it was an opened bag of sugar on a shelf which has caused em!! they r the white mites. just need 2 find a home remedy to get rid of em. im tryin bay leaves at the mo.

ill just have 2 wait and c. thank u everyone for helpin me to try and find out what they r. will keep u informed!!!

corrine

Anne A
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Oh I can leap in here with a natural solution, Diatomaceous Earth, I use it to keep lice and red mites at bay in the chicken coop, I would suggest sprinkling it around area's the nasties inhabit.
google it, its got many marvelous applications
Anne A

grannymags
Tom Good
Tom Good

I had some little black weevil type insects which invaded all my dry food in the kitchen and I had to throw everything away! Goodness knows which packet they came with but it was awful.

I cleaned my cupboards with my steam cleaner and they haven't returned. Tea tree sounds an excellent method as well.

I'm still wary when I open a packet but it wasn't nearly as bad, or expensive, as when I opened a drawer and several mice jumped out!! Had to get Rentokil in as the house became alive with mice in a very short time. Also a new kitchen. Since then I won't be without a cat!

Good luck eradicating your visitors. Let us know how you did it.

Maggie

bodrighy
Tom Good
Tom Good

This brings back memories. When I first went to sea the cooks used to tip all the cereals for breakfast onto the hotplate on the stove before serving it up for breakfast. Loads of little wevils used to come running out and 'cooking' on the plate. The cereal was all put into a bowl and put on the table for us to help ourselves. Still used to get an odd few floating in the milk but after a couple of weeks you learned to ignore them,.

Pete
Mistakes are serendipity in disguise

http://www.bodrighy.co.uk

complete catalogue Includes naff stuff as well

Millymollymandy

So not much has changed since the days of ships biscuits with weevils in then! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just remind me not to go on an expensive cruise. :pale: :pukeright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

cozzy1984
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

well up 2 now, ive used bleach - didnt work. flash with bleach - didnt work. flash with flash guard - didnt work. so i went and bought some ant and crawlin insects killer. well ill put it this way up 2 now they seem 2 be gettin less and less. touch wood it is workin!!

if not ill have to try tea tree or that other stuff!!!

well whilst tryin 2 sort these bugs our landlord has given us our 4 wk notice 2 move!! typical!!

corrine