BGG 2009 anyone?

Do you know about an event that you want to talk about? Is there a campaign you have started, are involved in or want to start? Inspired by Marvin Gaye this is your place to tell the world what's going on.
wolfsong
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: BGG 2009 anyone?

Hiya i'm thinking of going aswell, all though wether you lot want a dope smoking 17 year old is another matter, am going to try and coincide it with 2 weeks of WWOOFing, my first time!
we'll see how it goes, but just as long as its not too expensive to take the largest framed push-bike you can sensibily get in Europe, then i SHOULD be there.
=)
As I ping from tree to tree I wonder... why do I seem to have transformed into a pinging tree-dwelling thing?

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

circlecross wrote:yes I am going! Don't be so convinced about a baby being immobile - if she is 4/5 months now, she will be about ten months then. My two horrors were walking, nay running by that age! Still, lots for them to do at BGG. We found that you could buy moltex there last time, and there MIGHT be a cloth nappy washing exchange if you plan to do that. There was a breastfeeding yurt (which seemed to have it's fair share of right-on eco dads, exercising their right to be in there, whether you wanted them in there or not! It was peaceful sometimes)...

I just bought my ticket - I meant LO will be 5 months at the time (I was still preggo when I wrote that), so no food to worry about (and don´t get me started about designated BFing rooms!) and hopefully no crawling! I think it might be the perfect age, I want to go to workshops and do me stuff.

So still up for a lift from spain or anyone taking me a spare sleeping bag would be fab.
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

If Nik can drive then, i'm sure we can manage a spare sleeping bag, and possibly a tent.

We can't make any promises though as she's not had her test yet (not allowed to tell anyone when it is...).

Clara

Well I wish her good luck, I'm taking mine a few days before BGG (it's my real reason for coming over).
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

foodinistar
Tom Good
Tom Good

Those crooks took my £50 the year before last when they appealed for money to keep the BGG going - no acknowledgement, no return (as promised) if the target wasn't met, no voting membership (as promised) if it was. They don't answer my email. They really are a disorganised useless rabble.

Clara

I'm trying to book my train tickets and being a complete numpty! I'm assuming that when it says the festival is on until Sunday 2nd, that means I can camp that night and leave on Monday - is that right.

So arrive Wednesday 29th, leave Monday 3rd.....sorry I've been out of the loop for a while and I've a head that feels full of cotton wool today, so logic is not my strong point :lol:

eccentric_emma

I am assuming you can leave on the 3rd. That is usually the case. It's just everything finishes on the evening of the 2nd. The last bus from the site to Weston Super Mare train station leaves at 8pm on Monday the 3rd (although it does run on the Sunday as well).

hope that makes sense!
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

foodinistar wrote:Those crooks took my £50 the year before last when they appealed for money to keep the BGG going - no acknowledgement, no return (as promised) if the target wasn't met, no voting membership (as promised) if it was. They don't answer my email. They really are a disorganised useless rabble.
I didn't have a problem - i have my share and vote. Who did you try to contact about it?
The lady you need to contact is called Zoya Joy (i think...could be Zora Joy).

itinerant child
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

you dont have to justify spending 125 quid.try offering your services as an on site steward.free entry,free food,part of a motivated team,meet lots of positive people etc etc etc.
you are not expected to be working 15 hour days,and what you do is pleasant.
give it a try.
I did on a couple of occasions and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

eccentric_emma

Anyone from Kent going? Trying to work out how to get there now (original plan was to be in the west country at the time but that hasn't happened). A liftshare (for two of us) would be ideal, or train or coach advice!
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

Clara

Who's gonna organise and SSish meet-up?

....and who wants to cuddle my Nancy-boo while I have a shower (at least once would be nice)....just realised that is a major logistical going with a tiny babe by myself, oops.

Islay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'm torn over whether to go - never been before, and can't decide whether it's for us or not. It's so expensive it needs to be pretty good to make me want to go!

Is it over-ridingly hippy (I'm thinking here of the earth energies, healing music and sweat lodge side of things), or is there an equal focus on things like climate change, political issues, self sufficiency/sustainibility etc? Not in any way demeaning it if it is more inclined to the hippy way of things, but probably not exactly right for my oh-so-practical self.

Thanks!
http://www.islaybower.typepad.com
Finding, making and baking

Clara

Islay wrote:I'm torn over whether to go - never been before, and can't decide whether it's for us or not. It's so expensive it needs to be pretty good to make me want to go!

Is it over-ridingly hippy (I'm thinking here of the earth energies, healing music and sweat lodge side of things), or is there an equal focus on things like climate change, political issues, self sufficiency/sustainibility etc? Not in any way demeaning it if it is more inclined to the hippy way of things, but probably not exactly right for my oh-so-practical self.

Thanks!
There is plenty of practical stuff; workshops, crafts, talks, debates....I plan to remain in the permaculture field.....apart from when I get myself an aroma-colour-gong-crystal-reiki therapy massage ;-)

eccentric_emma

I am leaving for BGG on Monday (as I'm going to stay in a campsite in Weston Super Mare and visit some family in the area before it starts). I have no idea about the layout of BGG so can't say whereabouts I'll be planning to camp or be at any particular time! I am hoping Fee has a SSish flag that she mentioned earlier? (unless I imagined that)

I'm so excited!!

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

COPIED FROM BGG SITE:

Urgent message

POLICE AND MENDIP ATTEMPT TO PULL PLUG ON

GREEN AWARENESS EVENT

HIGH COURT INJUNCTION TO BE HEARD MONDAY 27TH JULY

The Big Green Gathering is threatened with closure on Monday, 27th July, just thirty-six hours before it opens to the public on Wednesday.

Mendip District Council have applied to the High Court in London for an injunction to stop the Big Green Gathering from going ahead, despite the fact that the Council granted a license for the Big Green Gathering on 30th June, 2009 and a multi-agency meeting was held on 23rd July where last minute details for the event were progressed.

A spokesperson for the Directors said, “We have had several meetings with the responsible authorities whereby we believed all the issues had been resolved. This event is a peaceful event with the atmosphere of a village fete and furthermore contributes in the region of two million pounds to the local economy. We feel even at this late hour, Mendip and ourselves should be able to resolve the issues.

Please keep watching the website for more updates.

I don't know if anyone's posted this yet but I thought I'd keep people informed. I really hope it's on, if not I vote on a weekend in Glastonbury instead! Grr... stupid councils... :angryfire:
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.