conversion to electric car

Cycling, trains, walking. This is the place to talk about how good or bad cycle routes are, mention great train journeys, talk about car sharing schemes or husky travel. Anything in fact that is about transport that is a little alternative.
Turtuga Blanku
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

conversion to electric car

step by step:

http://www.kiwiev.com/

pretty cool! :thumbright:

Rod in Japan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: conversion to electric car

Both Subaru and Mitsubishi are talking about marketing small EVs from 2009, though I don't know which part of 2009. I want one to replace my current gasser.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Great find Turt!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Davy stephenson

Removed by author
Last edited by Davy stephenson on Tue May 26, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

Davey - couldn't agree more.

Was hearing about the 'Scottish Hydrogen Corridor' earlier this week where companies are going to use hydrogen powered vehicles - the hydrogen coming from an elecroliser? fitted to a wind turbine en route. I've just googled it - some info here Royal Mail proposals and here P&J article

Greenbeast
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Turtuga Blanku - i hope you're prepared for my misses to beat you to death after exposing me to that little project...
Since reading it i've been in solid research mode

wolfsong
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

hmmm, like the idea, watch the video...
Are you sure about those batteries? and also how much does it way (I find it funny you have the same police cars as Britain :lol: )
How far does it go on one run? does it drive like a normal car (heavy a the front)?
Sorry if this is all answered, if it is just tell me to look at the site :roll:
As I ping from tree to tree I wonder... why do I seem to have transformed into a pinging tree-dwelling thing?

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Yes - how far do these cars go?

I have heard - can't find anything online about it, so don't know how much is in it (yet) - that the tourist board is planning a "very green" development for Royal Deeside - electric hire cars, with recharge stops along the way. They'd go 80 miles, and then have to be recharged over night.... What a load of bollocks! 80 miles doesn't get me to visit friends and back home the same night. Aberdeenshire is well over 100 miles from top to bottom - just getting to my voluntary work place and back home is 70 miles - and where do they get all that electricity from?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

jondy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have gone a little way down this road of looking into a conversion. Some years ago I joined a group called the 'battery vehicle society' a very good start, not too much money for it's annual subscription. I read a book on how to convert a pick up truck, a USA book. Another American book about a man who set out to drive a long distance in America, hooking up on power outlets, usually overnight at Motels. He had to buy a pick up to tow the car as his journey did not plan out as he intended.
Pick up trucks can be good to convert, nice stong springs etc for the battery load, batteries out of harms way insulated from the driver. etc. Lead Acid batteries are very heavy, the new lithium type batteries are very expensive. A member of the battery vehicle society had arranged to buy a bulk load of lithium batteries from China. Cost of batteries and motors are very expensive in rip off Britain. Compare the cost of Electric motors in the US. I would guess that an average diy vehicle conversion will run around 35 miles between charges on Lead acid batteries. Again, the battery vehicle society through its magazine would usually have a converted car or two for sale, likely the cheapest way forward. Members are very keen to help. On my part I only got as far as an electric bike.

Turtuga Blanku
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Greenbeast wrote:Turtuga Blanku - i hope you're prepared for my misses to beat you to death after exposing me to that little project...
Since reading it i've been in solid research mode
:iconbiggrin:

Your missus would forget all about that, once she found me out on my little Caribbean island! She'd be too busy snorkeling, diving and enjoying the weather and nature in general.

But seriously, it's great, isn't it? I'd love to do it too! And where I live, it would be pretty ideal: no long distances, enough sun and wind to power it by renewable energy...

Developments in electrical vehicles (EV) seem to be going pretty quick now, resulting in cars that can go faster for longer distances. Also, more ready made EV's are coming on the market, for those who don't have the time to do a conversion themselves.

@wolfsong - that's not me, in the video's, it's a guy in New Zealand.

@jondy - show us your bike! Give us some details! :iconbiggrin: