VITAMIN K injection

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VITAMIN K injection

citizentwiglet wrote: Sad fact is, you can still mention Factor V Leiden to many health professionals and you are met by blank looks - they simply have not heard of it. My GP tried to convince me to go on the combined contraceptive pill 4 weeks after Ellis was born (whilst I was still on blood thinners!) without as much as a read through my notes. Now THAT is scary.....they reckon that around 15% of the UK population carry FVL, how many of those are teenage girls wanting the pill, and being given it without any checks at all? Girls who could, conceivably, be on it for 10 or 20 years before deciding to try for a family?
My doctor (DrB) didn't bat an eyelid when prescribing me the pill (despite the fact I wasn't in a stable relationship and told him I used other methods of protecting myself), without checking any notes, but he had been my doctor since birth. One time when I needed the prescription renewed I saw another doctor in the same practice who looked at my notes in front of me... my dad died at 39 of a heart attack... I was told I should never have been put on the pill, and I should never use it again.
I guess that lots of doctors don't read notes before prescribing regular/ common meds. :roll:

DrB got struck off a few years later, but that is another story.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

citizentwiglet wrote:Yes, I do agree that it is a relatively minor thing, in the greater scheme...my concerns were that the jab was given without my consent.
yes I have to agree that is shocking.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Urban Ayisha
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sooooo... 5 months later... when it came down to it at the end of the labour i just said whatever when they asked about the vitamin k. so baby had it no probs!!

maria-jose yasmin mcconnell was born on the 21st august 2008 and is bright as a button! it has taken me this long to hav a look back on the forum to see whats going on. i have to say my eco-warrior-ness has faltered a bit since baby, i just find i dont have as much time or drive as before (poor excuse perhaps!) but il get back to it slowly im sure. a little difficult to get down to the 'lotty but as soon as the weather perks up il be taking her with me? has anyone had much experience of taking small babies to allotments...what about washing hands for feeding etc? bit difficult?

just read over some of the comments i made on this point cant believe how well formulated my sentences sound my brain has clearly turned to mush since then!!!
Attachments
02 Nov 08 (4) - Copy.JPG
02 Nov 08 (4) - Copy.JPG (55.31 KiB) Viewed 5662 times
02 Nov 08 (5) - Copy.JPG
02 Nov 08 (5) - Copy.JPG (57.13 KiB) Viewed 5662 times

Penny Lane

Can't comment on taking small babies to allotments (still waiting for one to take my little one to) but I couldn't go with out saying CONGRATULATIONS! She is beautiful!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

missy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i was due on the 22nd january and still haven't given birth, but going in on thursday to be induced if she hasn't arrived by then.

this will be my 3rd child and 3rd hospital. can't say i ever questioned weither or not to give them vit K injection.
both boys were induced and were fairly long labours so i just went with it. my oldest was 23 hrs establisted (about 33 hrs from the start) and my other son was about 12.5 hrs. i mentioned it to my husband a minute ago and he thinks we should just let her have the injection.
Missy
photographer and mother of 3
http://missysx.blogspot.com/

Clara

Double gorgeous the pair of you! Congratulations!

Don't worry about let your standards slip, I think it's inevitable when the shock of having your first baby hits - makes you realise being pregnant is the easy bit! You'll get back in the swing of things.

If you are BF I wouldn't worry about sanitising your hands when you feed unless you've been in contact with fresh manure. There's building evidence that lack of early exposure to some of the microrganisms in soil is linked to rising asthma rates, when the immune system had nothing to do it turns on itself.

Can't offer much help with your brain! Second time around my OH seems to be really having his patience tried with me apparently I talk rubbish, he corrects me, then I forget all about it and repeat the rubbish at some later date!

Love to you both, Clara x
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

red

gorgeous baby!

(must not get broody .... must not get broody...)

re washing hands - perhaps you could take wipes or make your own version to take to lottie?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

lubeyblue
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wow! What a great thread, lots of interesting points raised here....

As for Vitamin K, in my experience the NHS don't give expensive things away without a pretty compelling reason, namely clinical trials reporting lower mortality among babies offered vit K shortly after birth. Especially babies who had difficult births. Which is why they're given injection, to ensure correct dosage. We all know that babies tummies take a few days to get into the swing of things postnatally. I'm aware of no evidence to say giving vit K is a problem and it's been being done for many years...but there is a risk (albeit small) for not giving it. Don't rely on probablility (almost certainly won't happen to me) cos it'can bite you in the bum.

I also agree it's the least of your problems!!

On the handwashing front I would like to recommend you err on the side of caution. I'm an ITU nurse and see perfectly healthy people die from 'everyday germs' scarily frequently. I'm not suggesting you soak your hands in milton but be sensible....

OK, hope I haven't peed people off, couldn't help but have my twopenneth worth. Yikes.

lol. xxxxxx Lucy.

lsm1066
Living the good life
Living the good life

You're right to an extent there Lucy. After all, if a doctor gives a drug to a patient and it kills them, it's the doctor who's sued. The pharmaceutical company (whose research is funded by people with an interest in getting the product out and making money from it, not in finding a cure because cured people don't need drugs) get off scot free. Unless it kills lots of people, and then only maybe. I give you Misoprostil, successfully used to treat stomach ulcers but with the unfortunate side effect of causing miscarriage, so it's been used to induce labour in some units, despite not being licensed for the purpose. It's usually the government which ends up paying out the compensation, not the big pharmas. However in the case of Vitamin K, it's given for only one reason, which is that it was successfully used to treat Haemorrhagic Disease of the Newborn and so the decision was made to use it profilactically because babies are born with low levels of Vit K and that's obviously a mistake by mother nature. Which is a bit like taking an aspirin every day on the off-chance that you might get a headache. The problem with that is, what do you do when you get a headache and you've already got the maximum dose in your system?

You're also right about the risks. They might be 1 in a million, but whilst you're most likely to be among the 999,999, you could be the 1. For instance, my sister was on all sorts of medication for her asthma. She started experiencing various side effects which basically resulted in her endocrine system shutting down. The doctors all insisted that it couldn't possibly be the medication she was on because whilst the various symptoms were each listed side effects of the various medications, they were all rare. And for someone to get them all was so rare as to be incredible (around the order of 1:28 billion - just over 4 times the number of people on the planet). Strangely enough though, when they realised they'd been treating her using her husband's chest x-rays from when he'd had pneumonia by mistake and started actually treating her, they changed the 5 different inhalers she was using 3 times a day each to just one of a different type, twice a day, all her symptoms started to clear up. Hmmmm.

And finally, infections. The best place to be if you want to get an infection is a hospital. The temperature is kept at just the right level for the bugs to flourish and the staff going from one patient to another need to wash their hands between each patient and change gloves for each patient. Whilst that happens now (in most units at least) it didn't used to. Going back a long way, let's not forget, Mrs Beeton died from childbed fever (postpartum infection) because the doctor who came to deliver her baby had just come from laying out a corpse and didn't wash his hands, so it's not like this is new information. Yet still it's only recently, with the spread of MRSA, C-Dificil and the like, that hand-washing practices have been updated. But for all the anti-bacterial this and anti-septic that, the bugs have survived. More than that, they've thrived, mutated and multiplied. The least we can all do to try to stop the spread is wash our hands. And that should be everyone who sets foot in a ward. Visitors, cleaners, admin staff, doctors, nurses and everyone else.

I love debates like these. Shall we talk about induction next? :evil2:

Lynne

lubeyblue
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I love debates too.....

I don't agree that the best place to get an infection is hospital. I'd vote for GP waiting room (cough, sniff, spew). Or farm. Or crappy restaurant. Or primary school. Also, as you say, these bacteria aren't new...it's just that we're better at detecting them now and less likely to put deaths etc down to 'natural causes'. And it's antibiotics which have caused 'superbugs', that and evolution. The bugs are simply evolving to survive what we use to kill them. But I don't think anyone's suggesting we abandon antibiotics (without which many of us would probably be dead several times over by now).

Maybe cos I work in the NHS and see the incredible amount of sheer hard work and dedication put into improving health and relieving suffering by the Drs, nurses etc that I don't get the pervasive cynicism about all things nhs. I get the thing about the pharmaceutical companies, really I do and I'm not saying the nhs is always perfect and never makes mistakes. But I do think it's pretty amazing at offering first class care to everyone..not just a privileged few.

So there.

Not sure the vit K / aspirin analogy stands. They only have it once (or twice orally). Should they still have a clotting issue after this there would be other therapies available to correct this (if you've still got a headache take paracetamol instead).

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

rockchick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hmmm, lots to think about in this thread. I am trying to remember if no.1 had the injection - I suspect she must have done but as I had a pretty long 23 hour labour, then forceps delivery and then promptly haemorhaged pretty badly straight after she was born (and then again 2 weeks later at home, but that's another story) I really wasn't worried about such a small thing and don't even care that I wasn't given much of a choice. With no.2 (she shot out no trouble!) I definitely requested the oral dose purely because i was being soppy about unnecessary jabs as an introduction to the world, but then had a nightmare trying to chase up the followup dose. Generally the ante and post natal care i received was not exactly what I call first class, all a bit hit and miss, but overall I am extremely greatful because when it mattered they pulled all the stops out. I've never seen so many people come running into one room and I try not to dwell on the fact that only a few years ago I wouldn't have made it through. So as a general rule I tend to trust the professionals, but not completely without question, I too am now not afraid to get bolshy if something doesn't seem right!

haylea1984
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi All,

it was interesting reading peoples posts regarding this subject. I am currently coming up to 35 weeks pregnant and we are expecting our first child. I have been attending NCT antenatal classes and it was mentioned about researching vitamin k - which to be honest was something I knew absolutely nothing about until I researched it. Now I feel I'm rather confused - well both me and my husband are about what to do for the best.

When we went to the class I thought there would be a debate which there wasn't really as all the other mums expecting and other mums who I have asked who've got kids all said that there kids had the vitamin k injection. I have looked into it but there is so much conflicting information online. We have decided we are going to see next week what my midwife says about it when I ask her just for additional info.

I asked my parents if me or my brother had been given vitamin k at birth - my mums response was no neither of us had. My brother was a straight forward delivery but I on the other hand ended up being born by emergency caesarian as I had the cord wrapped around my neck - so then it got me thinking both me and my brother have ended up being ok without having it. It then put into my mind that surely breastfeeding is meant to be naturally good for your baby - but when I have read things on here it says that your breastmilk doesnt carry enough vitamin k for the baby. I have also read other information that has said that all babies should have vitamin k and all other people apart from my parents believe it is just natural to give an injection/oral dose of vitamin k to there child - which I don't think there is anything wrong with - I'm really just trying to weigh it all up. Whatever happens I want to do the best/make the best decision for our daughter and I don't want to feel awful if something happened to her...so I think that is what is making my decision and my husbands decision so hard.

I feel we both keep talking and saying we are unsure about giving our daughter vitamin k when she is born as we don't like the idea of her having something put into her body via injection/oral just after being born. I think the idea the lady said about possibly saying to give her vitamin k if complicated birth is a good idea - I honestly don't know what to do for the best. I am planning on breastfeeding and have also read that if you eat vitamin k as part of a healthy diet then this should then make your vitamin k higher in your breastmilk for your baby.

Ne ideas? Hx

citizentwiglet

I hope I didn't freak you out. I have a certain genetic condition which might - and only might - make the Vit K injection an issue for my children, IF they inherited it. It certainly looks as though my eldest, Ellis, has; but my youngest, Finlay, hasn't. But I REALLY had to push for their blood tests.........Fin didn't get a Vit K jab, because I couldn't get a blood test done in time.

However, due to the medication I'm on (my blood is a joke, not only do I have FVL, but I have a chronic Myleo-Proliferative Disease as well, yay me!), I was advised against breastfeeding past the initial colostrum stage as they are not sure of the effects of my meds on breastmilk. So I'm formula feeding, so he's getting his correct levels of Vit K anyway.

It's your decision. Had I not had the condition (and now a disease) relating to my platelet count, I would have accepted the Vit K injection without a doubt. Thing is, my condition has taken years to diagnose..........but it is rare, so the chances are you're fine. If in any doubt, ask for a platelet check.........pretty easy to do, if you fancy a morning in your local out-patients department.

But yes, chowing on the Vit K will get through to your breastmilk - I know that, just before the boys were born, I had the most enormous cravings for green veg - particularly a big bowl of curly kale dripping with butter to munch on.......bliss! Listen to your body - it will be telling you what you need. Hopefully that's chocolate and ice-cream, but it's more likely to be sardines and kale, LOL! (That's where cravings come from, BTW)..........
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden