What do Ish-ers write with?

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Graye
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: What do Ish-ers write with?

I have a lovely stainless steel Waterman fountain pen which I've had for absolutely years which I carry round with me. Usually though you need to complete things in biro so I either try to nick OHs nice smooth Parker biro or search around for one of the many free ones which appear through the door.

By my computer I've got a pot of pencils so those are what I normally pick up for phone notes, references, etc.
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

bryony
Tom Good
Tom Good

having read some statistic about the amount of plastic biros thrown away every day (especially non-finished ones) I decided to invest in one nice, refillable pen, and hang onto it, as one of my small steps to help the environment (for someone who loses things on an hourly basis, this was going to be challenge). It went fine for about a month, until i leant it to someone in a meeting, who of course pocketed it! :cry: and now i feel bitter about my pen! (i think i need to get out more!). Oh well, i'll keep trying...

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I use different things.

Mostly, its either a fountain pen, or a metal biro thingy (like a parker biro, but cheaper). I do like the freebie biros, they're great. I also use pencils from places like remarkable -the recycled ones, and i have a box of recyclable biros at work (they're the ones with the paper case rather than a plastic one, so when the ink runs out, you can recycle the case).

I like writing implements that can either be refilled, recycled, or are already recycled.

I do think that i could probably challenge you to stationery stash size though, SPS!

I collect pens and pencils (and rubbers) from places that i've been too. At some point, i want to make some nice frames to ut my pencil collection in. I never use the ones from my collections.

rockchick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Have always been a fan of fountain pens - had quite a calligraphy phase for a while after I got given a set with all different sized nibs for xmas one year. Recently I've lapsed, although I did try buying a fountain pen a year or so ago - the trouble is it dissappears to the bottom of my bag and seems to end up covered in fluff and it takes me forever to get the ink running freely again - obviously I am not using it enough!
Generally, we seem to have a house full of pens, pencils, crayons... including lots of disposables and freebies. My favourite pencil is what you're calling a propelling pencil - although I've always called them technical pencils (no idea why). I use it for all my more serious note taking as I got fed up with achy hands using biros.

Thurston Garden

I have used bottled ink fountain pens for about 18 years now. It was something that was encouraged in the Navy. Captains wrote in red ink, Admirals in green. Me being the lowly pondlife that I was had to stick to blue/black and I have just finished the last bottle of a batch I bought in Dubai in 1995! I had to replace a pen I bought in 1995 a few months back and plumped for a nice one from John Lewis. I got chatting to the sales lady about ink colours in the navy - she remarked that the John Lewis chairman also wrote in green ink lol.

I do have a pot of freebie biros in the house beside the phone but hate using them. My handwriting is bad at the best of times and with a biro it's even worse.
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

ina

Can you still get ink? Somewhere I have a lovely wooden fountain pen - pear wood, I believe... Otherwise it's mostly freebie biros, and lots of pencils. If only I could find that pencil sharpener. :?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Thurston Garden

Certainly can Ina - I bought my bottle from John Lewis but I bet there's a few online suppliers (including good ole ebay). I am very close to JL when in the office so PM me if I can help :thumbright:
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

ina

Thurston Garden wrote:Certainly can Ina - I bought my bottle from John Lewis but I bet there's a few online suppliers (including good ole ebay). I am very close to JL when in the office so PM me if I can help :thumbright:
Thanks for the offer - have to find the pen first.... It's one of the things that have not resurfaced yet since my move. :?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am very anal when it comes to writing implements! I have a mild condition which makes my joints funny. So especially in the winter, I have to use something with a wide barrel, and my handwriting does not suit fountain pens either!

So I have an erasable biro for note-taking and for my diary. Then felt-tips (which double up for artistic purposes) for my calendar (otherwise its spoils the next page), 2 nice biros for officially-stuff or homework, or anything else that I'm doing for someone else (cards, etc) - one which makes my handwriting look nice, the other which lays down a thick black ink, which is for anything that will be photocopied.

If I'm doing anything artistic, I use 2B (for ink/paint work) or HB (for crayon/pencil colouring).

And yeah, most of it is in a neat little pencil case with a sharpener and 2 rubbers (erasers), except the biros and 1 HB which go on my desk (I don't measure the angles, I'm not that bad... yet...)

Bet you wish you hadn't asked!
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

grannymags
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have a gold plated Cross fountain pen (bliss to write with) which I use for letter writing, my diary, greetings cards and for exams when I was at university. The nib glides so smoothly over the paper and the grip is very comfortable. I use bottled ink. I don't like cartridges because of disposal issues, plus, they don't last long and are expensive. For work I use freeby biros and cheap propelling pencil for puzzles.

I have badly injured both my arms and wrists after falls (no balance, not drunk!) on different occasions and now my previously neat handwriting has become illegible unless I write very slowly. My fountain pen helps me to write the neatest. Couldn't take it to work though! I lose pens frequently so the free ones are ideal.

Maggie

Millymollymandy

Brij wrote:I am very anal when it comes to writing implements! I have a mild condition which makes my joints funny. So especially in the winter, I have to use something with a wide barrel, and my handwriting does not suit fountain pens either!

So I have an erasable biro for note-taking and for my diary. Then felt-tips (which double up for artistic purposes) for my calendar (otherwise its spoils the next page), 2 nice biros for officially-stuff or homework, or anything else that I'm doing for someone else (cards, etc) - one which makes my handwriting look nice, the other which lays down a thick black ink, which is for anything that will be photocopied.

If I'm doing anything artistic, I use 2B (for ink/paint work) or HB (for crayon/pencil colouring).

And yeah, most of it is in a neat little pencil case with a sharpener and 2 rubbers (erasers), except the biros and 1 HB which go on my desk (I don't measure the angles, I'm not that bad... yet...)

Bet you wish you hadn't asked!
I haven't heard of an erasable biro! Does it just rub out like a pencil? :shock:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

grannymags
Tom Good
Tom Good

I've got an erasable biro. Bought it in WH Smith.

It has an eraser tip on the top just like a pencil.
An ordinary eraser wont work on it though. It isn't
perfect but useful if you make a mistake. Beats
fiddling about with tippex!

Maggie x

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

grannymags wrote:I've got an erasable biro. Bought it in WH Smith.

It has an eraser tip on the top just like a pencil.
An ordinary eraser wont work on it though.

Maggie x
Does on mine!

Yeah, they're made by Papermate.

Out here you can get erasable ink for fountain pens too - in pink or blue normally (never seen black, but have seen green and purple too!). Love 'em!
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

Millymollymandy

Good grief! Well I'm always behind the times when it comes to new technology..... :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

My right hand. I use it to stir my coffee too. :lol:
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)