Elimination Communication 'no nappies'

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
stacisylvan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Elimination Communication 'no nappies'

just browsing through the parent section and there are lots of topics about nappies. I have two year old and we have been doing Elimination Communication from birth. There are some great yahoo groups(search EC) and a book called Diaper Free that i'd reccomend to anyone expecting.

My little one was fully potty trained, including nights by 14 months - saved on washing and hassle

staci xx

Clara
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Elimination Communication 'no nappies'

I have read a little about this and I am interested to give it a go - seeing as we have a good climate for bare bums! DD2 is 7 weeks and has a fairly predictable rhythm. Care to swap your copy of that book for something (it's the ISH way).

Got to go...2.5yo DD1 - currently potty learning - has appeared not to have got to the potty on time...it's poo, great....how timely!
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

stacisylvan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I don't own a copy I borrowed it from a friend i think you can get it second hand from amazon.
You probably don't need the book, are u in the US? there is a great US yahoo group for it.

staci x

Clara

I'll look it up, thanks.

I'm in Spain - note the location box on the UCP, someone at sometime will ask you to fill yours in!
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

Fizzy Izzy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Can't comment on the practice since my baby hasn't been born yet! But the book is good - although I don't want to swap mine... You can probably manage without it though if you really want to have a go - there is tons of information online:
e.g. http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/

If you try it Clara, I'd be interested to hear how it goes.
Smile :)

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

I kind of see ec as a wierd kind of classical conditioning, much like that of pavlov and his salivating dogs...

my daughter urinated at night, she never had a set poop routine either.

We happily potty trained during the day when she was a little over 2 years old, and she was dry at night by 2 and a half.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Penny Lane

I attempted EC when DS was a few weeks old and since but he really doesn't give any sign when he wants to go, nor does he let you know when he's wet or dirty!
Hanging him over a potty upon waking, nappy changes etc just frustrated him so we didn't bother after that.
Now, he doesn't wear a nappy at home only when we go out or overnight in bed (it does mean keeping a cloth close by but oh well!)
I'm not bothered about what age he starts using the potty or toilet, these kind of things will happen when he is ready, like everything else.
My mother potty trained us by forcing us to stay on it until we went and she says we were trained by 12months old. IMHO this is a cruel practise (I'm not saying EC is like that btw!!) and it's not one I'll be doing with my little boy or any other babies I might have.
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

Mr and Mrs luvpie
Living the good life
Living the good life

The only thing predictable about our little man is that as soon as he gets a nice brand new nappy........

I hadn't really heard of this with my eldest two, but was told about it with this one, personally I believe that they will get there when they are ready, and even if I was going to go down this line with George, I wouldn't have the time to sit waiting, what with school runs, after school clubs, shift work, and the like!
the ever growing luvpie household currently contains, 4 boys, 4 chickens, 2 cats, 2 rabbits, 4 fish, an empty tropical fish tank waiting new arrivals, now are we daft to look at our broody hen thinking, if we got some fertilised eggs........

lilypotter
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

DiaperFreeBaby!!! Just thinking of the grandma's era when there was no use and throw system. No doubt we are going back in the systems of parenting. They are the healthiest ways of parenting and training children. However needs total dedication of time towards children at infant, toddler stage. Good informative website though. Thanks!!!

citizentwiglet

I admit, I find EC fascinating - but I must say that, in a way, I agree with Annpan about the 'conditioning' aspect. FWIW, I have several friends (Continuum Concept mums) who tried EC, and none of them cracked it totally. They had some 'lucky breaks' (their words, not mine), but the majority of them felt it was too stressful for both themselves and baby; they felt as though baby was going through a kind of abandonment - I can't explain why, I'm not a Continuum Concept type myself, but that's how they felt.

Great, I imagine, if baby has a 'routine'; you have no other pressing concerns, and baby is unhappy being wet or dirty. My eldest loved nothing more than rolling around in a great stinking, fit-to-burst nappy - I couldn't have taken that pleasure off him... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden