Its Not Easy Being Green-worth a watch

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
chrisp
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

What a wonderful show/family/idea/thingtoaspireto

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode & have it series linked on Sky+.

I have not got the cash to go the whole hog & do the same, but I'm sure as heck going to take what I can from the program & do as much as possible, wherever I can afford to live (just being turfed out of the family nest).

I can't wait to see the engineering behind the water-wheel :)

BTW, I'm glad I found this forum. I too was looking for Donnachadh McCarthy & his book of greenness.

I hope to see you all on here sometime soon.

Cheers,
--

ChrisP xx

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello crisp and welcome to the forum. I think that with these sorts of programs you do have to take what you can. There are not many people in the fortunate position of having their own 'army' and having a few grand to play with.

In fact this is really where self sufficient ish was born from.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi All... and welcome Chrisp!! (my son is called Chris and I call him Crisp :mrgreen: )

I did enjoy it, as I said earlier. But yes, they did have more money than most to throw at such a project and a wonderful band of willing helpers too - I guess that being on the telly and working close to the beach for free food and lots of beer was a good incentive to the army of helpers.

I'd like to do something similar here - any volunteers to come and camp in my garden and help out?? We don't live near the seaside (but do live by the river Don and beautiful hills of north east scotland), we are skint and so can't afford free booze (but we could make some homebrew), and it won't be televised... although it could appear on ssish.tv if andy was interested :flower:

What... no takers?? Shame!!

Back to reality. We do have a stream at the bottom of the garden, and living in an old mill, there was previously a mill race that ran past the bottom of the house. It's now been diverted across the road. We thought that we could try and do some sort of hydro power stuff but not likely a wheel the size of the one on the programme.... but wasn't it beautiful??! A true work of art. Do you need planning permission for that sort of thing??

It would be an interesting comparison to do though - on a shoestring budget. What do you think??
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Tigerhair

Shirlz... I am sure that if you really wanted some southerners and four dogs to... erm... help.... we would LOVE to come and caravan with you!

And not being televised would be a BONUS!
Tigz x

shiney

It was a feel good program, but they were rich hippies to be honest. It's not easy to be green, even with a half mil home and 200K savings! Mmmmm....!

It's really not easy to be green without a place of your own (ie, not rented) and on a low income.

But... we try!
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

I really enjoyed the programme and my fears about Dick being a bit "shouty" being in the Army and all,were completely dispelled! I wish he was my Dad! Its given us loads of ideas and things to consider and Im so glad that even people with money have to compromise sometimes,eases the guilt feeling a little!
Now, what did I come in here for??????

Millymollymandy

I wasn't very impressed. I expect it was because they spent half a million pounds on a wreck. How can something so awful cost so much money?

Then they spent £50,000 having the roof redone. WHAT? Must have got French workmen in to do it. :shock: :shock: Wouldn't they have been a bit more self suffish getting their army of helpers to redo the roof for them?

Also so much for the water wasting toilet and bath. Where was the compost loo? Imagine all the water used after all those helpers have a bath........ :pale: Obviously not on a meter.

Then they never showed what they did inside the house (apart from the bathroom) to show how they made it vaguely habitable.

And after all that, they've only got 3 acres!! The outbuildings would take up half an acre of that too! Not going to have much choice of animals on that small amount of land. Believe me, I've got 2 1/2 acres and it ISN'T a lot if you are going to have animals that need to graze.

And as for the moustache. Bleugh!

shiney

Yeah MMM, that tashe! YEEUUUKKKKKKK!

I really don't like moustaches at the best of times, but that takes the biscuit.

Sends a shudder down me spine.

Nice guy with lots of ooomph and ideas tho'.
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Shirley

Tigerhair wrote:Shirlz... I am sure that if you really wanted some southerners and four dogs to... erm... help.... we would LOVE to come and caravan with you!

And not being televised would be a BONUS!
Tigz.... you are welcome anytime... FOUR dogs!! WOW.. what type??
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Lou8
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Shirlz2005 wrote:http://www.cix.co.uk/~dmccarthy/ the very lovely donnachadh mccarthy (I hope I've spelt it right!!)

Wasn't it just a brilliant programme...
Thanks Shirley, I have just ordered the book.

Chickenlady

MMM - you have forgotten how much property costs in the UK, especially the southern bit!! He could have got that wreck for half the price in Brittany, I am sure!

I think you are a bit harsh, although I was a bit surprised that a composting loo didn't appear. Maybe later?
Haste makes waste

Tigerhair

They did mention getting a composting loo - for the future and they agreed that baths weren't great, but she'd only had the one in two weeks and it was a special treat for her... as long as they share the water as we do here.

Shirlz... all rescue, 1 yorkie (rat on a string), 1 collie cross, 1 alsatian cross and 1 rottie cross....
Tigz x

Libby
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hiya chrisp :flower:
I want to wake up in the morning and see green!

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

They do have more money than most, but are obviously still mortgaged to the hilt. That wreck in the East Midlands would have been a lot cheaper, but Cornwall comes with a hefty premium these days.

Nothing on the first episode for most of us to emulate, except the enthusiasm (I've warned the OH against emulating the moustache), but looks like lots more to come. I'll certainly be watching - if only cos it's a while since anything eco-friendly has been on the blessed box.

Goodlife1970
Living the good life
Living the good life

[quote="Libby"]Hiya chrisp Isnt that ChrisP?
Now, what did I come in here for??????