DIY loft insulation

Anything to do with environmental building projects.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

DIY loft insulation

I have just been looking to add to my loft insulation and I came across a product that is essentially foil with bubble wrap stuck to it.

Now, could I be mistaken in thinking that you could just use foil and bubble wrap stuck to it and make your own insulation? This is the stuff you staple gun to the rafters to reflect heat back into the house instead of letting it escape.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: DIY loft insulation

Andy Hamilton wrote:I have just been looking to add to my loft insulation and I came across a product that is essentially foil with bubble wrap stuck to it.

Now, could I be mistaken in thinking that you could just use foil and bubble wrap stuck to it and make your own insulation? This is the stuff you staple gun to the rafters to reflect heat back into the house instead of letting it escape.
The industry stuff is a thicker grade ali but you can use turkey wrapping foil.... It's a bugger to put up if only fixing it to the beams... guess how I know but it can be done with two of you. I tried to stick the bubble wrap to the foil but it got into a mess so then stapled the bubble wrap to the beams and then the foil on top in two operations. With hindsight it probably cost more than the proper industry stuff with all the wasted foil but you live and learn.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I like this idea thanks! Does anyone know of anything you can do you insulate a flat roof extension without ripping it open??

Derry
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

anything that traps air should work.. egg boxes, bubble wrap, lots of corrugated card..

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Andy,

The same idea sprang to mind when I first used the space blanket stuff to top up the loft insulation. What put me off was the thought that packaging bubble wrap wouldn't be fireproofed in the way the insulation stuff should be. (I say should be because I assumed building regs would insist on that ..... I could be wrong .... still, too late now, I've gone and used it.)

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

ina

Derry wrote:anything that traps air should work.. egg boxes, bubble wrap, lots of corrugated card..
I would be careful what you use - if it adds to the fire hazard, you might get into trouble with your insurance... Especially if you are in a rented house. I had the same idea once, but gave up on it for that reason.
Last edited by ina on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

lovelygreenleaves wrote:------------ Does anyone know of anything you can do you insulate a flat roof extension without ripping it open??
we tried stuffing bubble wrap and some insulation in from the edge when repairing the internal adjoining ceiling but couldn't reach far enough to do the whole 'roof'.
Only other way I can think without ripping the ceiling - platerboard or whatever - out, or 'taking the lid off' is fitting insulation to the ceiling and then a false ceiling underneath. Unfortunately mine is too low to do this.
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Snapdragon,
snapdragon wrote:Only other way I can think without ripping the ceiling - platerboard or whatever - out, or 'taking the lid off' is fitting insulation to the ceiling and then a false ceiling underneath.
Yeh, but it can move the dew point inside with consequent damp problems. Not necessarily every time but enough to make it a risk,

Love and Peace
Jim

Derry
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

ina wrote:
Derry wrote:anything that traps air should work.. egg boxes, bubble wrap, lots of corrugated card..
I would be careful what you use - if it adds to the fire hazard, you might get into trouble with your insurance... Especially if you are in a rented house. I had the same idea once, but gave up on it for that reason.

yeah, but we dont have a loft to insulate, cause its been a bedroom and bathroom since 1994 :mrgreen: but i do see where yer comin from

ina

Well, of course, if it's a room that is being used as a room and lived in already - that's different: nobody should be able to stop you storing insulating material in that... :wink:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

jim wrote:Yeh, but it can move the dew point inside with consequent damp problems. Not necessarily every time but enough to make it a risk,

Love and Peace
Jim
Thanks Jim - I don't know the technicalities of these things - more trial and error :oops:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here in NZ you can get several types of "blown in" (think vacuum in reverse) insulation of various types of materials. IN some cases expanding liquid foam may be an option, you do need to be carful about MAJOR power cables though. if they are in too closer contact with insulation they may overheat and cause house fires
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Thurston Garden

snapdragon wrote:
jim wrote:Yeh, but it can move the dew point inside with consequent damp problems. Not necessarily every time but enough to make it a risk,

Love and Peace
Jim
Thanks Jim - I don't know the technicalities of these things - more trial and error :oops:
I too would be concerned about ventilation. Google Hot Roof and Cold Roof. I have coombed ceilings in my upstairs and have the flat part of the ceiling insulated well, but have yet to come up with a good way of insulating the sloping part without ending up with ventilation problems. I shall be watching this thread with interest!
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

devolutionary
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I've just heard about someone with a polytunnel full of sheep's wool and am thinking of using it for floor and ceiling of the small bathroom we've just added to the side of an old utility building. Question is this: Good thing, or bad thing?

(Apparently the silver foil and fleece stuff needs airflow on both sides to be effective. Doesn't make much sense to me...)

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Devolutionary,

Using sheeps wool is good. Not only is it effective but sustainable and provides hill farmers with an outlet for fleece. However, to use it for insulation it needs treatment, you can't just stuff raw fleece into a space. (Sheep shit, bugs etc.) Ventilation space is needed in order to prevent damp. The insulation provides spaces for still layers of air in order for it to work. Damp can build up if the layers become totrally static,

Love and Peace
Jim