What products do babies actually NEED?

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
mrsmiggins
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: What products do babies actually NEED?

This is great, thanks so much everyone!! So much advice to take in... well done all of you for all those babies! Bouncer seat seems popular, I'll definitely get one of those! I know that you can cope with very little, and I'm definitely going to try to minimise, but just knowing about a few gadgets that help save your back, let you go to the loo etc really help thanks! :flower:

citizentwiglet
A selfsufficientish Regular

I just cannot believe the amount of 'indispensible' rubbish you can buy these days - I do love a good laugh looking through the latest Mothercare catalogue....

Mmm, what could we not do without.....

The baby bjorn carrier - the only annoying thing about it was that he couldn't use it for the first few weeks because the lower weight limit is 8lbs. He'll not be long in it now, I'm going to really miss having him in his carrier...

Those sticky pads for the bottom of the bath to stop them sliding around all over the place - it's scary enough bathing a wriggler without the added worry of him banging his head.

Yep, the grobags are ace. We have quite a few, including a branded GroBag - to be honest, I think the cheaper ones from the supermarkets have washed up nicer than the GroBag, and the fleecy cotton ones dry really quickly. Get ones with zips though - much easier than poppers when doing a 'middle-of-the-night-don't-wake-them-up-by-turning-the-light-on' nappy change.

Tea-tree oil, good for nasty niffs in the nappy bucket, disinfecting surfaces etc....

Stacking cups and wooden blocks.
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

grubbysoles
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I would say the absolute bare minimum for a baby is boobs, cellular blankets, sling/baby carrier, loads of muslins, some nappy covers, and lots of cotton wool (much nicer for bum cleaning than commercial wet wipes).

Bingo.

One thing I would really recommend is Dr Bronners pure castille soap. I get mine here: http://www.theremustbeabetterway.co.uk It's organic, fair trade, really gentle unscented liquid soap made from a load of oils, and it's anti-bacterial. I always put a little squirt into the water before I clean Nya's bum and she has not yet had even a hint of nappy rash (she's 10 weeks and wearing cloth nappies). I also squirt it into her bath and use it for giving her the odd 'squaddy wash'. It's great for all those little folds of skin that can get a bit clammy and yukky where they don't get much air (fold of the neck, under the arms, inside her hands - which babies seem to keep permanently clenched into little fists!). I wouldn't bother buying commercial baby body wash products. I have never used any of these on either of my girls, but what I hear from people who DO use them is that they just dry the baby's skin out and make it go all flakey. Presumably this is so that you will then buy a load of baby moisturiser.... I don't even bother with shampoo for the baby. Why use shampoo? She doesn't produce head grease yet?!! Don't waste your money! And I find it easier to get in the bath with the baby rather than use a baby bath tub. They are so wriggly and slippery that it's far easier to hold on to them and maneouvre them (can't spell that!) if you just put Bubs on your lap in the big bath. And, of course, it's an excuse for more cuddling....

Babies NEED next to nothing. Just milk and cuddles. Lovely lovely lovely. Damn it, I'm broody again already!!!

grubbysoles
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Oooh, just reading back my last post and the bit about not buying baby moisturiser. I rub Nya all over with a bit of olive oil when she comes out of the bath and it works a treat. Even the GP commented on her lovely skin at her 6 week check up!

citizentwiglet

God, how could I have forgotten muslin squares and olive oil! Shame on me, as someone who has gone nowhere without at least three muslin squares for the last 3 and a half years.

Absolute essentials, both. The olive oil is also very good for removing cradle cap.
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

Helloo. Haven't posted in aaaages as I was having login probs.

I had ours seven years apart so we had to start again. You need: friends who have stopped reproducing, a good Freecycle group and a concerned mother! We were given 90% of what we 'needed', and tbh we were pretty frugal about the whole business. WE needed (but not everyone will):

a cot
nappies
clothes
car seat
bouncy chair

Nappies are one of those contentious issues, as if having a baby wasn't stressful enough. Max has been in cloth mainly, but disposables have been very useful to have at hand. I would say another 'need' is an open-mind, as you can't be suite sure how things will turn out. We've settled down with cloth again but had a bumpy patch when nothing fitted and he just had to grow a wee bit more. I'd have some disps on stand-by and don't go too mad buying cloth til LO has arrived and you know the size and shape, as this will affect what fits.

Similarly feeding. I always intended to BF and still am BF him at nearly eight months (despite six teeth!) but for a while now I've combined it with formula, but I didn't do that with DD - I BF exclusively til she was nine months then gave up overnight as I was so hacked off with it. It all comes down to what works for you all in YOUR specific circs and with YOUR kids. We had the 7am dash to the chemist for formula which we initially administered with a syringe. He had formula a few times in the first couple of weeks then would go for weeks on end without any til about five months when we began to use it a bit more. I'm delighted still to be BF but it is only one aspect of parenting!

Routines can make life easier. With both my kids I've woven a routine around their natural rythmns and it's seemed to work. DD was in a travel cot for ages, they're very handy. The bouncy seat was a godsend. We started off with a nice cosy one we were given then graduated to one that vibrated as it was forced on us - DS loved it so we used it til he was too much of a heffalump. He was so vast that a baby bath was also no use to us, and I've never got on with slings or carriers of any description.

I would keep an open mind - buy, beg, borrow or steal the minimum then see what you really need as you go along. It will depend on you, your baby and how life shapes up. Have fun!
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/