Alternatives to the Mooncup? (a women only thread i guess!)

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Alternatives to the Mooncup? (a women only thread i guess!)

Thanks for this thread ladies!

I started using mine last month... Was a little apprehensive, like the first time I used tampons, but I did it without too much stress! So now I'm on round 2, and it is comfy, and I can get it in and out, but it does leak a little (usually quite heavy anyway though)... So origami fold here I come!!

:cheers:

Buuut... Does anyone have trouble emptying and stuff in public loos? I mean, I really can't get away with not rinsing it (you don't want to know the details...) and, well, getting it out needs 2 hands, so then grabbing a bottle of water with one to rinse it out... It all gets a bit messy and by the time I get out of the loo, I'm lucky if I don't look like I've been stabbed! (Sorry, sorry, but I'm guessing if you're squeamish, you won't be on this thread!) Any hints? Please?

And I do not like the idea of sponges... I used to get a bit dry after using tampons all period, I don't really see how sponges can entirely avoid doing that. Plus I read this thing in the New Scientist how probably the first life-forms on Earth resembled sea sponges... It seems a little disrespectful to then go shoving them up there!
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

QB comes back
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I was a two hander at the start Brij. Practice pushing got it down to one hand though. I kind of push is waves and you can almost push it out then.

Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

QB comes back wrote:I was a two hander at the start Brij. Practice pushing got it down to one hand though. I kind of push is waves and you can almost push it out then.
And there's another member I thought was a bloke! :lol:
Rosey xx

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

:?

I must be into my 4th month with it and I'm still using 2 hands to get it out! I'm normally a quick learner... Perhaps I have a peculiar anatomy? Or maybe it's cos my bleeds are light at the moment?

Bit rhetorical really!
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette

EmpressG
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi, I am new to this board but not new to the lifestyle. May I suggest you buy a box of Instead? http://www.softcup.com/buy_instead/purc ... online.php
I have been using these for years, and they are great. It looks like a diaphram, but feels more comfortable. They are inexpensive enough to give out to friends to try, keep extras in your travel bag, purse, etc but since they are made of plastic, can be reused seemingly indefinitely. At home I rinse them in the sink, but at a public restroom they can be shaken or dumped into the toilet and then wiped out with toilet paper.
You may need to practice a bit fitting it in just the right place, same as a diaphram. Use pantyliners until you get the hang of it, or if you have a heavy flow.

I bought a box of 20 maybe 10-15 years ago and I still have new ones in the box. They are perfect, not too expensive to replace if needed, but reusable. The website discourages the reusability part. If rinsed after most uses, you would be no more likely to get an infection than with any other menstrual cup. So far I have never had one break, though they do kind of yellow a bit.

I always wanted a good place to share this tip, somehow it never came up in normal conversation. :roll:

Caroline

Miffy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi all,

I havent been here for a while and when i return it seems the thread i started has got quite a momentum going. Really glad it seems to be helping other people and not just me, although i still havent got into the habit of using the mooncup. Maybe i'll try again next month...

Miffy

Bristolbelle
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 51.416709
longitude: 2.617750

Re: Alternatives to the Mooncup? (a women only thread i gues

I'm now on my seccond cycle of using the moon cup and i'm so glad I did. Prior to using the cup I used to have to stay at home on day one and two of my cycle as It was so heavy. Put It this way I was so frightened to sneeze. I've converted my work friends as well. I must admit that the first time was tricky to get used to, mainly due to inserting it to high. Now its seccond nature. My daughter is 10yrs old and when she starts her period, I was thinking of starting her on the moon cup. Is this a good Idea or should I wait until she is well into her cycles?
The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.
My blog...
http://louisesetter.blogspot.com/

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

My 14 year old is nervous about using a mooncup, I would say it would be difficult for a young girl to use. They are available in some places in 2 sizes, one for pre-motherhood and one for post, but i've never seen them advertised for teens to use.

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

I looked into mooncups a few years ago but never actually got round to trying it. Can you just buy it and off you go - do you generally order online?
I thought I read you needed them fitting like a diaphragm, is this not correct?
I've had two children, not sure if that's good or bad in relation to mooncups!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

There are basically two sizes - one for the under 25s and one for older women or those who've had children.

You can but them off the shelf or online. The only thing you need to do is trim the stem that sticks out of the bottom to your own requirements - it needs to be long enough to get hold off but not so long it catches on your pubic bone, ouch!

It's actually very simple and they're fab, just wish I'd had the bottle to try one before - I only got about 3 years use out of mine.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Helsbells

I only used my smaller size mooncup a few times before falling pregnant, anyone know if I will still be able to use it after or will I have to fork out for the larger size?

Rosendula

Congratulations on becoming pregnant Helen :thumbright:

If you have a caesarean (sp?) you should be OK with the smaller size, but if you have a vaginal birth the bigger size is recommended. By the time you've had 3 kids you might need a bigger husband too :lol:
Rosey xx

southeast-isher

will an empty Pringles can do? :oops:

southeast-isher

or a Persil clothes-washing ball? :oops:

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

southeast-isher wrote:will an empty Pringles can do? :oops:
My husband kindly pointed out he could get me a little plastic cup for a few pence in the local bits and bobs shop! :roll: :lol: